Login / Register

Soundcraft 200b recapping (2101 channel strips)
New Reply
Subscribe
vhbram
6th October 2012
Old 6th October 2012
Gear interested

Soundcraft 200b recapping (2101 channel strips)

Hi everyone,

my friend got a soundcraft 200b for free and I want to refurbish it a bit.

After cleaning everything I want to do the Eddie Ciletti grounding modification.

Then I would recap everything seen to this post of Jeff Deff:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff deff View Post
So I'm putting together a shopping list for recapping. Thanks to everyone who so generously shared their thoughts!

For the input channels with the variable midrange:

Replacing the (2) 47uF/63v phantom blocking caps (C1, C2) with 2 100uF/63v Nichicon PW series.

Replacing the (2) 100uF/10v caps before the input gain pot (C3, C4) with 100uF/10v Nichicon PW series. Do not replace these with 1000uF caps as I previously stated or you will get oscillations at high gain settings.

Two 100uF/10v caps are parallel (C9, C10) and attached to one leg of the trim pot. Substitute these with one 1000uF/10v Nichicon PW series.

There are (3) 47uF/25v coupling caps (C15, C25, C29) which I will replace with 220uF/35v Nichicon PW series.

The power rails have (4) decoupling caps (C16, C17, C30, C31), 47uF/25v which I will replace with 470uF/25v Panasonic FM series.

There are fusing resistors (R22, R23, R61, R62) before these decoupling caps that I will replace with 10 ohm, 1/2 watt 1% metal film resistors.

There are (2) 2u2/50v caps (C26, C27) that couple the transitors that drive the LEDs for the peak and on indicators. In the circuit these are electrolytics, is it worth putting film caps in here?

In the master section, tape returns and aux sends there are an assortment of similar caps that I will also substitute following the same guidelines.

The problem is that I have the fixed midrange EQ and not the sweepable where his recapping post is based on. Some of the capacitors are matching and some not (for example: my capacitors only count up till C24)

So I'm a little confused which caps I should replace and which not. Does anyone has done this mod to the fixed midrange channel strips? Can't seem to find a post on GS that summarized all of that.

Appreciate your help!

Bram
Belgium
6th October 2012
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

Take a look at the schematics and see which caps correspond to each other in the different channel revisions. For what it's worth I've taken out all caps in the signal path (except phantom blocking) in mine, and you can leave out (bridge) most without detrimental effects (just minor DC and clicking noises when using switches) apart from the one (or rather two orginally) at the transistor pair (input gain). Sonics will improve.
vhbram
6th October 2012
Old 6th October 2012
Gear interested

So you would advise to just get rid of all the capacitors except the ones you mentioned? I assume you only talk about the electrolytic ones?

Are there some documentations where I could learn more of channel strip electronics?
6th October 2012
Old 6th October 2012
Lives for gear

You can get away without most electrolytic ones in the signal path, see above.

You can search here and over at groupdiy.com - there are plenty of discussions regarding Soundcraft boards, including the 200b.
vhbram
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by living sounds View Post
You can get away without most electrolytic ones in the signal path, see above.

You can search here and over at groupdiy.com - there are plenty of discussions regarding Soundcraft boards, including the 200b.
Hi Living Sounds,

thanks for your answers. Which other mods or changes to the circuit did you make except of the removal or exchange of some of the electrolytic capacitors?
Did you change any opamps/transistors and did it improve the sound a lot?

Thanks again for your time.
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhbram View Post
Hi Living Sounds,

thanks for your answers. Which other mods or changes to the circuit did you make except of the removal or exchange of some of the electrolytic capacitors?
Did you change any opamps/transistors and did it improve the sound a lot?

Thanks again for your time.
Do a search!
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

Hi
As posted previously 'leaving out caps (bridging them) will just leave some minor clicks and scratching noises' so basically you want your desk to click, pop and scratch, hardly professional use. I doubt even the 'so called nasty' cheap desks that may start with a 'B' aren't that cheapskate. Whatever happened to standards?
Matt S
18th November 2012
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Syson View Post
Hi
As posted previously 'leaving out caps (bridging them) will just leave some minor clicks and scratching noises' so basically you want your desk to click, pop and scratch, hardly professional use. I doubt even the 'so called nasty' cheap desks that may start with a 'B' aren't that cheapskate. Whatever happened to standards?
Matt S
Sounds much better though, I've done plenty of comparisons.
vhbram
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Gear interested

Regarding the caps (in the signal path) in the master section, can I do the same by bypassing them?
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhbram View Post
Regarding the caps (in the signal path) in the master section, can I do the same by bypassing them?
Sure. But check for DC and distortion.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear addict

is there any concensus about a 'best" or preferred re-cap job on these channel strips?

with little knowledge of electronics I planned to simple replace 1 for 1 all the electrolytics for the same specs, unless someone has some more hands-on experience. I've read so much conflicting opinions both here at GS and elsewhere that I'm a little lost, tbh
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Do a search here and at groupdiy.com, lot's of info availible.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search