New Reply
Subscribe
a.smith
13th September 2012
Old 13th September 2012
Gear interested

Help with Peavey Classic 30 reverb.

Hi there,

M'first post here, although I've read the forums many a time. I just bought a used Peavey Classic 30 and although the sound is very good, I am very disappointed by the damned reverb. I almost always like to use at least some degree of reverb. And I literally have to settle for that gross no-reverb sound or else I just get incessant hum/feedback with a really low amount of reverb even when it's at 12 (yes my amp goes to 12, I know).

I have tried to move the tank around, change channels, same crap.

Getting to my point, I want to swap out the tank and throw in a nice one that actually gives me TOO much reverb when it's maxed out (which should be the case always). My question is: Does anyone know of a specific tank that would suit my needs as well as fit/match the amp's impedance? (I'm in Ottawa, so a canadian supplier would be best) And in addition I would like either a web link or a semi-detailed summary of how to do it. (In Layman's terms please!). I know you guys are awesome at this stuff and I heard this is a simple mod so I'm hoping someone has some insight here.

Thanks so much in advance for the help.
16th September 2012
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

Weak/noisy (hum) reverb is typical of many Peavey amps. I saw a mod for a Peavey Nashville 400 amp that supposedly helped the reverb, but I don't think it really helped as it wasn't very popular. I had a loaner Peavey Nashville 1000 from a dealer while they ordered a new one for me. It had a 2 spring reverb in it that was typical Peavey (weak compared to Fender), the new one that I got had a 3 spring reverb in it and I couldn't hear any difference. I now have a Nashville 112 and it is identical to the Nashville 1000's reverb.

Most of the Pedal Steel Guitar players, me included, use external reverbs and not the Peavey reverbs. I'm using a POD X3 and the "spring" reverb model in the X3 for reverb.

One thing to check (I haven't checked on your model Peavey amp) but many amps used a "Molex" connector to connect the reverb pan to the amp chassis. This has been a problem area for bad connections and hum. Later model Peavey amps use a different/better connection that does not have the problem.

Member of Nashville R.O.P.E. Association
19th September 2012
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

I put a MOD 9EB2C1B in my Classic 30. This was an improvement imo.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search