Orientation of IC sockets...
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Head

Orientation of IC sockets...

I'm building an SSL clone...there are several ICs that need to go on the PCB. Is there a standard direction that the ICs need to face?
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Guru

There should be a mark on the board for pin one.

Sometimes it's a dot in the silkscreened markings, sometimes there's a notch out of the box outline of the IC body. And, sometimes there is a different shape to the pad that pin 1 is soldered to (IE - square instead of round).

I don't know what they did on your board. Got any pictures?

-tINY

Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

Doesn't matter how many pin there are, all sockets are layed out in the same order.

Paul
Old 15th June 2006
Gear maniac

although the Gssl all go in one direction, always check each IC that you socket before you remove the IC because some PCBs have ICs that go in one direction and other ICs go in the other. I know cause Ive been burned this way. so watch out for that!!!
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Head

thanks for all your comments...some of the ICs do face different directions....what would you say is the most common and practical ground to use if you're soldering components that are electrostatic sensitive...
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Guru

The blue condutctive mats with a snap on them for a wrist strap work well. Tie it to the saftey ground on your electical system through a 100k resistor.

-tINY

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search