Can you diagnose my PA speaker problem?
New Reply
Subscribe
hayythere
8th April 2012
Old 8th April 2012
Gear interested

Can you diagnose my PA speaker problem?

I have a P.Audio 15" 600w driver in my sub boxes (very similar to a JBL driver). Today I noticed the driver was not producing sound. The amps were only running at a low level so I gave a little more and all of a sudden the speaker kicked in.

I have checked all the cables going from the amp to the driver and they are okay. This problem has happened a few more times. At low levels the speaker will work initially, but then will drop out. If you give it some more level it will kick back in a sound fine.

What could this problem be caused by?
8th April 2012
Old 8th April 2012
Lives for gear

Almost dead voice coil, bent/scraping voice coil. Dirt in the voice coil gap
8th April 2012
Old 8th April 2012
Gear addict

I Would go for the voice coil suspension wire coming lose or a simple dry joint aggrevated By vibration
8th April 2012
Old 8th April 2012
Lives for gear

Time to get the DMM out.
Measure the dead speaker on the terminals.
Should be almost 4, or almost 8 ohm, depending on the driver.
As said, open circuit could be the pigtails.
Sometimes just worn or broken, sometimes bad solder connection to the voicecoil.
Leo..
9th April 2012
Old 9th April 2012
Lives for gear

if you're able to swap the amp channels and the problem stays with the first sub, you've eliminated the amp as the problem. do the same with the cable. lay the speaker out and don't disturb its position for the next tests - with the speaker in it's "not working" condition, check the resistance at the speaker with your meter, no amp attached. with the box in it's "working" condition, check the resistance with your meter, as above. do this twice. tell us what you find.
hayythere
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple_fx1 View Post
if you're able to swap the amp channels and the problem stays with the first sub, you've eliminated the amp as the problem. do the same with the cable. lay the speaker out and don't disturb its position for the next tests - with the speaker in it's "not working" condition, check the resistance at the speaker with your meter, no amp attached. with the box in it's "working" condition, check the resistance with your meter, as above. do this twice. tell us what you find.
I did connect another sub to the parallel out of my problem sub and the second sub worked whilst the problem sub was silent. This rules out the amp and cable.

I will check the braid wire and soldering when I have time as that sounds like a possibility.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search