Login / Register

Alesis Ai3 malfunction (no sound, flashing LEDS)
New Reply
Subscribe
limit6
17th March 2012
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Head

Alesis Ai3 malfunction (no sound, flashing LEDS)

While mixing the other day I looked at my rack and realized my Ai3 was producing a wonderful light show and now it has no output. Across the front panel every single LED blinks at about a 128bpm tempo (I could tap the tempo out for interested parties). Optical vs. analog toggle is still responsive, as well as the -10db vs. +4db. Been scouring google to see if anyone else had this problem, but all I found was a thread here that talked about an Alesis active monitor doing the same thing (flashing LED and no output). The poster stated it was a common problem (a design flaw that Alesis recognized), that C8 in the power supply dries up, and that it just requires a quick capacitor swap. Lastly, I want to disclose that this unit just got a premium modification from Black Lion Audio a little less than 6 months ago. It involves decoupling the analog and digital rails with higher quality electrolytics, and some kind of decoupling in the power supply section. I contacted them Thursday and I'm just waiting on a response.
limit6
22nd March 2012
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear Head

Even though no one replied, I wanted to let everyone know that BLA seems to have great customer service. Brian, who answers the phone, is always eager to appease a past or potential customer. This is what he/she said in the reply email.

"Hey Andrew, That is definitely really odd. I would definitely try unplugging it and turning it on and off. If it will not act properly then it probably needs to come back here ASAP. I am attaching a RMA form to this email. Please make sure that it is filled out and included in the box. Cheers.

BLA"

I called back and they let me know that there is a dedicated RMA rack, and that one of the techs goes through units that come back that have a problem (that are covered within the 2 year warranty). Said it should take 2-4 weeks. It's cool that they stand behind their work.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search