+4dBu to 600 ohm load
New Reply
Subscribe
bajde
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear Head

+4dBu to 600 ohm load

Hi, 600 ohm headphones dont get much power from h.out, so I wonder how can I connect them to XLR line output, how to bridge (-) and zero, and, since output impendance is 50 ohm, is there a way to make a better imp. match with a resistor.. I really dont want another box thanx
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajde View Post
Hi, 600 ohm headphones dont get much power from h.out, so I wonder how can I connect them to XLR line output, how to bridge (-) and zero, and, since output impendance is 50 ohm, is there a way to make a better imp. match with a resistor.. I really dont want another box thanx
Most headphone outputs are not beefy enough to drive 600ohm headphones. The XLR line output will not drive the headphones without an amplifier. Sorry but yer either gonna need another box or a set of 8 ohm headphones.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear Head

Heh, You can drive speakers from line out? Must try! To be more specific, it`s hhb cd-burner WITA. It can squeze ten more dB on an.out.0,5W power needed.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear addict

A pair of 600 Ohm headphones is an easier load than a pair of 8 Ohm headphones. All adding a resistor can do is waste power. Impedance matched circuits are only found in legacy type vacuum tube equipment.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to nosebleedaudio
The 990 Opamp will drive a 150 ohm load with NO problem..
One of the Best Audiophile type of headphone amps I have used..it also has a +24dBm output, FAR higher than Most headphone amps..
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajde View Post
You want More voltage and current for 600 ohm phones...
Forget matching impedance..You want Bridging..Low output imp. into a far higher Input imp.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

In my experience there seems to be a wide range of sensitivity in headphones that is not wholly dependent on impedance.

I have many pairs of 600 ohm AKG K240 that while they do work on line level outs are far surpassed in volume on the same line outputs by 55 ohm AKG K141's.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
In my experience there seems to be a wide range of sensitivity in headphones that is not wholly dependent on impedance.

I have many pairs of 600 ohm AKG K240 that while they do work on line level outs are far surpassed in volume on the same line outputs by 55 ohm AKG K141's.
Several things a work here, sensitivity of the phones for one thing, Loading of the amp is another..Both or either can effect the SPL of the phones..
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear maniac

0dBu into 600 ohms is one milliwatt. For a really good loud sound in the average headphone you need to be able to put in about 100mW which means to do this into 600 ohm headphones required an output level of +20dBu. If you can crank the output up to this level than it will work.

Cheers

Ian
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Hi
Anything with pretentions of being 'professional' should be able to 'drive' a 600 Ohm load, be it headphones or various bits of impedance matched gear. (Pultec EQ for example).
They should also manage +21 dBu for an unbalanced (necessary for headphones) signal.
Do not attempt to drive headphones of less than 600 Ohms unless the output is rated suitably.
Matt S
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear Head

Thanks guys!, so, is a transformer in q? Yeahm, theory...
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

bajde
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear Head

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search