New Reply
Subscribe
Snaek
31st October 2011
Old 31st October 2011
Gear interested

Building a Plate Reverb

Hello all,

I've just finished building a plate reverb. Thickness of the plate is 0.5mm, plate is made out of aluminium. I like the sound a lot, but I'm kind of missing some HF response I think, and the decay could be a bit longer in my opinion.

I'm using metal strokes on the top and bottom of the plate to reinforce it, so I can increase the tension. Maybe the metal strokes are killing some of the vibrations going on though.

Does anyone have an idea as to what I could do to increase the HF response and decay? Thanks in advance.

Here are some examples of the sound:

http://soundcloud.com/totalvolume/plate-3

http://soundcloud.com/totalvolume/plate-messin (this one is echo+plate reverb)

Last edited by Snaek; 1st November 2011 at 12:00 AM.. Reason: examples
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
Lives for gear

You need to use steel, not aluminium.
Snaek
1st November 2011
Old 1st November 2011
Gear interested

Would that really make such a big difference in sound? Either way I'll keep an eye out for steel plates, but they're kinda hard to find with a good thickness.
2nd November 2011
Old 2nd November 2011
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

Aluminum is too soft so will not have top end. It will not be able to be as tight either.
Snaek
3rd November 2011
Old 3rd November 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Aluminum is too soft so will not have top end. It will not be able to be as tight either.
Thanks a lot for the reply, I really need to look for something else then.

If anyone has some more (general) advice I'd be really thankful! This is the first plate verb I'm building.
7th November 2011
Old 7th November 2011
Gear interested

i have two vintage EMT plates that i'm selling if you'd like to get a new (old) one.
Snaek
8th November 2011
Old 8th November 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk1 View Post
i have two vintage EMT plates that i'm selling if you'd like to get a new (old) one.
Hehe, thanks but no thanks. I'm building one myself so I can save thousands, and I'm guessing that those EMT plates you're selling aren't gonna be cheap (or do you mean plate only, not the machines?).

I also live in the Netherlands though, not sure where you are from, but shipping costs will probably make it too expensive for me. Thanks anyway though
8th November 2011
Old 8th November 2011
Gear interested

i have one perfectly working complete one, and another that's complete, but it's electronics (input or output amps) are in need of repair. since you're in the netherlands and i'm in california, shipping one would be almost impossible, but the one in need of repair i would sell cheap.
Snaek
8th November 2011
Old 8th November 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
i have one perfectly working complete one, and another that's complete, but it's electronics (input or output amps) are in need of repair. since you're in the netherlands and i'm in california, shipping one would be almost impossible, but the one in need of repair i would sell cheap.
Ah yeah, I don't think that's going to work. Still thanks a lot man, and hope you find a buyer soon!
8th November 2011
Old 8th November 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
PM me what's cheap for a broken EMT
9th November 2011
Old 9th November 2011
Gear interested

PM me what's "cheap", too.

Where in California? I'll be in Palo Alto W-F this week.
9th November 2011
Old 9th November 2011
Gear interested

i'm asking $2.5K OBO for the fully working one (it sounds awesome) and it has a custom made motorized remote to vary the decay.

for the non working one i'd like to get $700 but i'm open to offers. (i beleive that theplate itself is fine, but the electronics may need some work (i never fired it up and just bought it as a spare for the working one).
9th November 2011
Old 9th November 2011
Gear interested

here's a pic of the remote:

i'm in thousand oaks california, but the EMT's are in baldwin park (where our home 24 track analog studio was). i still have four 3M M79's (1-24track, 1-16track, 1- 1/2 track and a 4 track for parts) that i'm selling too.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search