Fostex 3180 Spring Reverb Static/Crackling Noise Problem
JasonGtr
6th October 2011
Old 6th October 2011
Gear interested

Fostex 3180 Spring Reverb Static/Crackling Noise Problem

Just bought one of these and it has a vibration sensitive static/crackling problem. Seems to be something with the spring unit itself. Works fine if it sits perfectly still. Opening it up the only thing that causes the static is moving the spring chamber around. Doesn't seem to be any intermittent connections anywhere else. Is there something that would cause the unit to be static sensitive? Any ideas?
7th October 2011
Old 7th October 2011
Lives for gear

First, don't call it "static", it's misleading and not especially descriptive.

The things that typically go bad are solder joints that tend to be under stress, jacks, switches, connectors, etc. You can narrow down the problem by deducing where it's happening in the signal path- whether it's on the dry signal, wet signal, one output, both outputs, whether or not it's affected by gain controls... and then look at the schematic to see what that suggests.
JasonGtr
7th October 2011
Old 7th October 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil View Post
First, don't call it "static", it's misleading and not especially descriptive.

The things that typically go bad are solder joints that tend to be under stress, jacks, switches, connectors, etc. You can narrow down the problem by deducing where it's happening in the signal path- whether it's on the dry signal, wet signal, one output, both outputs, whether or not it's affected by gain controls... and then look at the schematic to see what that suggests.
I appreciate getting a reply but this is not very helpful. I went over all of the circuit board solder connections, jacks, switches, connectors. There are no intermittent issues with any of these. As I thought I was clear when I explained, the noise which sounds like "static" interference or "crackling" is caused only by physical movement of the reverb springs, therefore isolated only to the wet output. The dry signal is unaffected. The reverb transformer wires are also not the cause. It is similar to the sound you get when metal filings get attached to guitar pickup magnetic pole pieces and it makes a crackling sound when you play. Don't know if there could be a similar scenario with a reverb tank. Never experienced this issue with any other reverb circuit. Just found a schematic as I write this.
25th July 2013
Old 25th July 2013
Gear interested

I have the same problem.. and it is very like an electrical static/crackle..

Thought it might be something touching off something it shouldn't when the springs were moving..

problem is intermittent also.. no solution yet
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search