Roland SRV-2000 Blew?
New Reply
Subscribe
logicll
5th August 2011
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

Roland SRV-2000 Blew?

Hello, Today while hooking up my SRV-2000 the input meter was slammed, I turned off the unit and turned down the input. When I turned the unit back on the display wouldn't work and the unit no longer passes signal. I could smell something burnt (maybe a cap blew ?)

I didn't realize a unit could blow up from a +4 input (Perhaps distort if the input gain was set to high but blow up the unit?) Any input would be appreciated.
5th August 2011
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

You didn't blow it up. Something failed inside, probably in the power supply. Happens with older units...
best,
Ike
Toronto
416-720-0887

"Studio House Calls". Authorized Warranty service for Allen & Heath, Clear-Com, Drawmer, Soundcraft, SPL and Yamaha. Repairs and upgrades to analog audio equipment including: AMEK, dbx, Neve, Neotek, MCI, Soundcraft and more. Ask about our RF frequency co-ordination services!
www.zimbelaudio.com
logicll
5th August 2011
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking something in the power supply blew, but the bypass function (and the bypass led) still work. I looked at the schematic to see what would have to blow to allow this... Guess I will just have to open the SRV up and see...

6th August 2011
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

Most power supplies have multiple voltages, so one may still work when others have failed. This is common with devices that have, say, a separate voltage for LEDs and relays etc. So you can get that "lights are on but no- ones home" sort of thing.
Best
Ike
6th August 2011
Old 6th August 2011
Lives for gear

Notice that the bypass switch just connects the inputs to the outputs. That tells you nothing.

The power supply is the first place to look.
logicll
8th August 2011
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

yes, I noticed the bypass switch, but I thought it strange that the led for the bypass switch still worked. What I can't fully understand is how an input (+4dBu) could cause a failure? The input meeter on the SRV was in the red for a brief time but I have never seen a piece of gear fail from this..
8th August 2011
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicll View Post
What I can't fully understand is how an input (+4dBu) could cause a failure? The input meeter on the SRV was in the red for a brief time but I have never seen a piece of gear fail from this..
That was very likely just a coincidence. The meter showing red might have been due to something else failing, maybe a part in the power supply going bad.
8th August 2011
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

I had an SRV2000 which had a fault in the power supply where it put +15 onto the +5 rail and wrecked the eproms. The fault was in the pcb in the middle of the power supply, a cap failed. Check that you have all power supply rails at the right voltage.
9th October 2011
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

I just bought a broken SRV-2000. It had a bad tantalum capacitor on the analog board that shorted the -15 rail to ground and blew a fuse. Losing the +15 or -15 supply (for whatever reason) can cause the input meter to light up.

I haven't replaced it yet, I just found the problem a few minutes ago, but I'm hoping that will do the trick.

Edit: yes, that was the problem, it works great now.
logicll
9th October 2011
Old 9th October 2011
Lives for gear

Well I blew a fuse and the real problem is this small circular transformer part# 12449251 Impossible to find... I need one.
logicll
10th October 2011
Old 10th October 2011
Lives for gear

dose any body know the voltages for the led display? It has several leads coming off the round transformer, I just need the 9 voltage levels..
11th October 2011
Old 11th October 2011
Lives for gear

If this is the small inverter transformer used to power the display, I had one fail, went around in circles for a while, and found I could do without the centre tap I think it was. The display was showing up very strange.
logicll
12th October 2011
Old 12th October 2011
Lives for gear

Yes!! Tell me more good sir..
29th May 2012
Old 29th May 2012
Lives for gear

I have an SRV with a crazy display and the unit makes an intermittent buzz sound. Anybody know of a repair place in the U.S?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search