Blowing fuses on insert
New Reply
Subscribe
rmedek
26th April 2011
Old 26th April 2011
Gear maniac

Blowing fuses on insert

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question—I'm pretty new at this.

I have a BL-40 limiter I patched in a Digi 002 as a hardware insert. In Protools with an 002, you define an insert by matching the I/O paths (i.e., insert #5 goes output 5 > BL-40 > input 5). In the mixer you choose a hardware insert as you would a plugin. No problems so far.

Recently I sold the 002 for a Mbox 3 Pro. I thought I'd try the hardware insert the same way, to see if it would work—instead, blew a fuse. Replaced the fuse, patched the BL-40 with a send/return cable into the dedicated hardware insert—blew a fuse. So far any experiment with getting already recorded tracks into the BL-40 without routing into a new audio track results in a blown fuse. I'd try a few more things but I'm out of fuses.

Otherwise, the BL-40 powers up fine, and under the 002 sounded fine and fairly consistent. My question is—is it normal for anything to blow a fuse under these circumstances? Is this expected for someone dicking around with routing, or is my Mbox doing something it shouldn't?
rmedek
29th April 2011
Old 29th April 2011
Gear maniac

Anyone? Any ideas?
30th April 2011
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

I have no idea, try as I may to understand, what fuse you are talking about... In the Mbox?

What does protools have to do with hardware?

A fuse blows when too much current passes through it. I don't see current passing in protools...
30th April 2011
Old 30th April 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2N1305 View Post
I have no idea, try as I may to understand, what fuse you are talking about... In the Mbox?
Sorry, I could have been more clear…the fuse in the BL-40 blows.

Quote:
What does protools have to do with hardware?

A fuse blows when too much current passes through it. I don't see current passing in protools...
That's what's confusing to me…the BL-40 powers on just fine, it only blows the second I route audio to it. Maybe it's just a coincidence? Or maybe some other electrical fault that only happens when it's put to work?

I haven't tested it in a normal chain (mic > pre > compressor > converter) yet, waiting on new fuses. I've been able to test the Mbox and the hardware insert method Pro Tools uses should work fine.
30th April 2011
Old 30th April 2011
Lives for gear

So the BL-40 fuse blows when audio is sent to it, NOT the moment that you plug in the audio cables, correct? If it blows as soon as cables are connected then you have voltage leaking somewhere and/or possible grounding problems. If it blows only when audio is playing it is probably a problem with the BL-40. Start looking at the power supply.
1st May 2011
Old 1st May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmedek View Post
Sorry, I could have been more clear…the fuse in the BL-40 blows.

That's what's confusing to me…the BL-40 powers on just fine, it only blows the second I route audio to it. Maybe it's just a coincidence? Or maybe some other electrical fault that only happens when it's put to work?

I haven't tested it in a normal chain (mic > pre > compressor > converter) yet, waiting on new fuses. I've been able to test the Mbox and the hardware insert method Pro Tools uses should work fine.
Ok, thanks for clarifying. My hunch is that you have improper polarity on your audio cables. Maybe the tip is ground and the sleeve (I am supposing that you are using 1/4 inch plugs, here) is positive, effectively shorting audio out to ground. But that wouldn't blow the supply fuse... I don't know, but my guess is it has to do with your interconnects.

OR you have a power supply polarity inversion. Do you have a Ground switch polarity on either device?

More importantly do you have a multimeter? Measure the output and input of the BL-40 to see if there's any DC, or even worse, any AC (I don't see that happening anyway).

Good luck!

cheers
rmedek
3rd May 2011
Old 3rd May 2011
Gear maniac

Thanks for the help, guys. I'm chalking up the Mbox's involvement to coincidence.

I don't have many tools here, but I finally opened up the BL-40 and found a blown wire on a mod (the soldered connection between two modded wires was burnt). I don't know if this is the cause or another symptom…I fixed the connection and when the fuses get here I'll see what happens. If it keeps blowing or runs hot I'll send it out to get checked, starting with the power supply.
8th May 2011
Old 8th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmedek View Post
...opened up the BL-40 and found a blown wire on a mod (the soldered connection between two modded wires was burnt). I don't know if this is the cause or another symptom…I fixed the connection and when the fuses get here I'll see what happens. If it keeps blowing or runs hot I'll send it out to get checked, starting with the power supply.
Interesting... and troubling.

good luck

2N
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search