ST66 microphone fall ... repairable ?
New Reply
Subscribe
madbrain
20th December 2010
Old 20th December 2010
Gear maniac

ST66 microphone fall ... repairable ?

My Sterling Audio ST66 which was hardly ever used just took a fall on a hardwood floor from about 5ft. The stand fell. The shock mount broke apart ... The other mike on the stand didn't hit the floor fortunately.
I wish I had waited for the proper length snake cable to come in and mounted my XLR patch bay on the wall. sigh.

From the outside, the ST66 looks pretty bad. But I hooked it up and verified that it still records sound. I can't judge how badly the quality is affected since I have used it so little. But considering it was sitting on the floor on the top of the piano cover, I was amazed that the piano still sounded that good ...

I bought the mike second hand in june so I have no warranty. Not that fall damage would be covered anyway. It was in the box and looked new, first owner said it had never been used.

I didn't get a chance to use it much myself as my father got sick with cancer over the summer, and passed away, after a few months, and I bought a new house with my partner and we got very busy after that.

Last night was my first piano recording session at the new home actually.

The retail price of this mic new is $400 before taxes. I paid about half that on ebay.

My question is, what would you do with this mic ?

1) buy a new shock mount and keep using it as-is despite the damage ... If so, which shock mount should I get ? I think the one that came with the mike was a bit insufficient for its weight. I would rather buy a better mount if there is one that will fit.

2) get it repaired. If so .. Who can do it and what price range ? See the pics for what it looks like.

If it's going to be close to $200 though, it's probably better for me to wait for another used ST66 to show up. I have many other mikes available in the meantime so it won't be immediately missed.

3) what's the value of a mic in that kind of shape with broken shock mount if I want to get rid of it ?
Attached Thumbnails
ST66 microphone fall ... repairable ?-imgp5080.jpg   ST66 microphone fall ... repairable ?-imgp5081.jpg   ST66 microphone fall ... repairable ?-imgp5082.jpg  
20th December 2010
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

wow, that grill cover frame really bent nicely... I am surprised it still works. Maybe that's a good thing? you know, I'd try to contact Sterling audio and ask if they can sell you a new grill frame(that is, if it's removable, I have no idea, but I'd think that they are made that way).

If not sell it to any of us for... Well, maybe that would be open to discussion.. I understand you wouldn't want to keep a microphone like that since it's part of a pair.

Sorry to hear about your father. That seems to be very quick. My condoleances.

In any case, you could do an A/B equal-distance test by micing a stable sound source. But I am no expert in micing. I once recorded something and the freakin' condenser microphone was turned the wrong way... Sounded neat though.

2N1305
21st December 2010
Old 21st December 2010
Gear maniac

Hi,

Thanks for your response.
I tried to open the mike. The bottom unscrews. But the top part didn't seem to move. This might be because it was bent during the fall, I'm not sure. Or maybe it's just built that way ... Perhaps another ST66 user can comment.

I just sent an email to Sterling, they don't list any contact phone number for support unfortunately.

Yes, unfortunately pancreatic cancer has a way of being very quick :(

This mike is not part of a pair actually. I bought multiple different mikes to try earlier this year. Turns out what I really needed to get good sound was not new mikes, but a much bigger room for my piano, which I now have in the new house. With a high ceiling and hardwood floors, it sounds like a totally different piano since I don't have to close mike anymore with the space. The ST66 was one of my better sounding mikes, still, from the little I used it.

I don't have a lot of experience with recording either, I have probably recorded with mikes placed backwards before, and still don't know it. Lol. But I'm learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2N1305 View Post
wow, that grill cover frame really bent nicely... I am surprised it still works. Maybe that's a good thing? you know, I'd try to contact Sterling audio and ask if they can sell you a new grill frame(that is, if it's removable, I have no idea, but I'd think that they are made that way).

If not sell it to any of us for... Well, maybe that would be open to discussion.. I understand you wouldn't want to keep a microphone like that since it's part of a pair.

Sorry to hear about your father. That seems to be very quick. My condoleances.

In any case, you could do an A/B equal-distance test by micing a stable sound source. But I am no expert in micing. I once recorded something and the freakin' condenser microphone was turned the wrong way... Sounded neat though.

2N1305
21st December 2010
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm no expert, but I'll bet it just dented the grill, and scared you.

as long as the condenser capsule isn't ruptured, I'll bet it's fine.

Yep, spelled it wrong. 13 some odd albums later, whats a guy ta do?
madbrain
21st December 2010
Old 21st December 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
I'm no expert, but I'll bet it just dented the grill, and scared you.

as long as the condenser capsule isn't ruptured, I'll bet it's fine.
That may well be the case. How would the dent affect the sound in general ?

What mount would one suggest for this mike besides the original mount ?
21st December 2010
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

have you looked at the capsule? if there is no signs of damage to the capsule itself then it's probably OK.

the top of the mic has to open one way or another. they had to get the capsule in there somehow. find out how, get in there and bend it back into shape as best you can.

the bottom of the mic in the photo appears like it has a standard screw on type thing at the bottom of it, like an mxl 990 or similar mics. you could get the mount that fits those and it would probably hold it better. there's two different mounts for the 990, I'm not talking about the spider, I'm talking the other one, looks like a little cup that holds the bottom of the mic, and the screw inserts inside it.

plus there cheap!
21st December 2010
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
the bottom of the mic in the photo appears like it has a standard screw on type thing at the bottom of it, like an mxl 990 or similar mics. you could get the mount that fits those and it would probably hold it better. there's two different mounts for the 990, I'm not talking about the spider, I'm talking the other one, looks like a little cup that holds the bottom of the mic, and the screw inserts inside it.

plus there cheap!
I was just going to suggest that, as I have TWO MXL microphones that I use and they are great. None of the new stuff, and I want nothing to do with the USB microphones, I don't need no cheap ADC converting the audio before it hits my board, which is analog, duh

anyway. I still don't understand how the damage prevents you from attaching it to the original mount. Isn't that what you're doing in the first picture?

cheers
2N
madbrain
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2N1305 View Post
I was just going to suggest that, as I have TWO MXL microphones that I use and they are great. None of the new stuff, and I want nothing to do with the USB microphones, I don't need no cheap ADC converting the audio before it hits my board, which is analog, duh

anyway. I still don't understand how the damage prevents you from attaching it to the original mount. Isn't that what you're doing in the first picture?

cheers
2N
There are several metal pieces in the mount. One of them mounts to the stand. The other mounts to the mic. The two metal parts are only held together by a pair of elastic bands. I looked at it carefully on GC's web site yesterday and it turns out the problem is that one of the elastic bands broke after the fall ... If I could get another band of the same length, I could mount it again. But without it, there is no way to mount the mic.

I used Sterling's web site to email my question, and got an email back saying that my question bounced (?). Sigh.
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

from the picture, it looks like you could use the old hairband trick.

what you do is you go into the haircare products section and get those goody hairbands that women use to put up there hair. there the same thing.

i found some at wal-mart that were pretty thick and beefy.
Attached Thumbnails
ST66 microphone fall ... repairable ?-hpim0655.jpg  
madbrain
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
from the picture, it looks like you could use the old hairband trick.

what you do is you go into the haircare products section and get those goody hairbands that women use to put up there hair. there the same thing.

i found some at wal-mart that were pretty thick and beefy.
Thanks ! I will check that out. But I wonder if I will get the right length.
22nd December 2010
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

bring in the pieces when you go to wal mart or where ever you pick them up at.

you'll get a few funny looks, but at least you can pick a size that will fit. they have different length bands.
madbrain
23rd December 2010
Old 23rd December 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
bring in the pieces when you go to wal mart or where ever you pick them up at.

you'll get a few funny looks, but at least you can pick a size that will fit. they have different length bands.
I went there. Got funny looks, but didn't find any band that matched the size, let alone size and strength. If anyone knows how to get ahold of Sterling, I would appreciate it. No phone number and broken email on their web site.
23rd December 2010
Old 23rd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post
I went there. Got funny looks, but didn't find any band that matched the size, let alone size and strength. If anyone knows how to get ahold of Sterling, I would appreciate it. No phone number and broken email on their web site.

well. damn.

you could cut to size, then superglue the ends and shrink-wrap over, but that usually doesn't fare well.

maybe take a look at another store? wal mart had a pretty good selection, but maybe some place that deals in hair care products might have a better one.
27th December 2010
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrain View Post

e e e e e e ebay!
madbrain
10th January 2011
Old 10th January 2011
Gear maniac

I walked into a Guitar center and they gave me a contact number for Sterling :
+1-310-618-8408 . They sent me 3 free bands for the mike. It is now back on the stand.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search