Yamaha Rev 7 display repair
Old 20th December 2010
Shark Sandwich

Yamaha Rev 7 display repair

Hello slutz,

I picked up a rev 7 that has the backlight on the display out. This is a common issue as the rev 7 ages, and I was hoping that someone here may have replaced it and know what part it takes and where I can get it. It's not really a problem, just a little irritating that I have to take a knee to see the display while I set my reverb parameters. I keep a small flashlight nearby for when I have to see the display, it's pathetic.

I have opened up my unit, and it looks like I will have to replace the entire LCD, as it's not as simple as just sticking a light behind a VU meter or something.

Thanks!
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Wow, I've had a second hand one for about 2 years now, and didn't even realize that display should be lit!
We gotsta figure this out, I'm tired of bending over and using a little flashlight too!
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Old 20th December 2010
Shark Sandwich

awesome, andy!
perhaps a repair savvy slut will give us some pointers. That link you posted looks like it could work, but I don't know that site and I am hesitant to buy from them
Old 20th December 2010
Shark Sandwich

Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Guys,
The video pretty much covers it. Definitely check that the inverter is working, in fact check that before changing the backlight. These were problematic. Alternatives used to be available from RS Components. Or try Mouser, Digikey etc.
The power supplies on these got pretty hot and the board is normally cooked up a bit. While you are in there, replace the power supply caps. And check for bad looking solder joints.
Old 20th December 2010
Shark Sandwich

Update:

I was able to steal a similar part out of an old clock radio, and got it installed and working. The only drawback is the part I put in is about a half inch too narrow, so the left and right of the screen is dark about a quarter inch in from each side. This is very workable until I can find the proper size part to put in.

What is this "indiglo" type strip called?
Old 20th December 2010
Shark Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radardoug View Post
Hi Guys,
The video pretty much covers it. Definitely check that the inverter is working, in fact check that before changing the backlight. These were problematic. Alternatives used to be available from RS Components. Or try Mouser, Digikey etc.
The power supplies on these got pretty hot and the board is normally cooked up a bit. While you are in there, replace the power supply caps. And check for bad looking solder joints.
Thanks mate!
I touched up some solder joints, but don't have caps handy. When I find the actual part required and open her up again I will definitely do that. The output is a little noisy, and I find myself driving the input a little hot and turning the return to my desk down to compensate. Any idea what might cause this noise? Perhaps that's just the nature of the beast with the rev7?
Also, the outputs have about a 3dB difference in level.
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I'm out :(
Just gonna be me and the flashlight!
I felt pretty Handy Smurf-like for replacing all the sliders in my Moog MG-1, but that looks like a pain. Glad you had a simple solution!
Old 22nd December 2010
Shark Sandwich

It is actually easier than you think, a bunch of philips screws and two solder points is all it took to fix it
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghopkins View Post
It is actually easier than you think, a bunch of philips screws and two solder points is all it took to fix it
Damn, I just threw away my Rev7 about a week ago.
I don't always have the best timing.........held on to it for ten years waiting for a cure!
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

hm. ok. So just using a led thingy from a clock radio worked? I think I can get one of those That's the kind of solution i'm talkin' 'bout!
Just an aside. On yours (anyone reading) do the fx eq mini knobs not line up correctly, cause mine are seriously off. I got the thing for free when I bought a guys Yamaha DX7, so I'm not complaining really. By and by, I know i'm younger (35) and maybe this is old news, but I think the Yamaha DX7 into the REV7 is a pretty fricking fantastic pairing, they were kind of made for each other (probably actually were!)
Old 22nd December 2010
Shark Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
Damn, I just threw away my Rev7 about a week ago.
I don't always have the best timing.........held on to it for ten years waiting for a cure!
Did you say a few kind words and have a moment of silence before you threw it away?
Old 22nd December 2010
Shark Sandwich

It's a lousy picture, I know, but I couldn't figure out how to set the exposure so you can read the text and see the backlight... but you can see how it is a little too small...
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha Rev 7 display repair-rev7.jpg  
Old 26th March 2011
Gear nut

Hello!

Anyone can send me the Yamaha Rev7 service manual/schematics?

I am about to replace the LDC lighting screen and I want to make sure everything is fine (inverter, caps,etc.) before putting a new one (60$!)

You can send it to: guilsimard "a"yahoo.fr

Thanks!

Guillaume
Old 27th March 2011
Lives for gear

here
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Yamaha REV7 Service_Manual.pdf (6.60 MB, 1020 views)
Old 27th March 2011
Gear maniac

Thanks for the manual! Mine has the dead back light also.
Old 27th March 2011
Gear nut

Woah!

That is so nice!

Thanks!
Old 16th January 2013
Gear interested

If someone needs backlight for Yamaha REV 7 effect processor, please contact me by email: bpucekov at gmail dot com
Branko
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search