New Reply
Subscribe
thenapking
3rd June 2010
Old 3rd June 2010
Gear nut

RE-201 Space Echo Maintenence

Hi,

I'd like to get my Space Echo working properly. At the moment, the tape speed is too variable and it too often gets stuck.
I had it serviced when I bought it 6 months ago - but the speed has always been a bit off. I've recently put new tape in- and it ran well for a couple of hours. I've tried lubricating the motor with WD40, and gently sanding the pinch roller (and cleaning the residue off...).
How do I tell whether the felt pads are too old? How can I verify if the pinch wheel is set to the correct tightness?
What else should I be doing?
thenapking
6th June 2010
Old 6th June 2010
Gear nut

bump.
Anyone?
6th June 2010
Old 6th June 2010
Lives for gear

So there were issues even with a new tape? You should open up the device and look at those part that could be overused. Many engineers change those parts for some bucks.
thenapking
6th June 2010
Old 6th June 2010
Gear nut

I had it serviced when I bought it 6 months ago. I don't think it's the motor though, I think it's more likely the pads, or the pinch wheel or something, which I should be able to replace myself.
I'd just like a bit of general instruction as to what things I should check/replace and in what order, and also how to set the pinch roller correctly.
11th June 2010
Old 11th June 2010
Gear nut

which type of tape are you using?

got an re-201 too and had the same problems, then figured out that there are certain types of tape that are not suited for tape loops because they smear. (for example most master tapes)

now i'm using rmg per528 or lpr35 which work great. just change tape loops regularly - it helps a lot with the performance.

peter

11th June 2010
Old 11th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenapking View Post
Hi,

I'd like to get my Space Echo working properly. At the moment, the tape speed is too variable and it too often gets stuck.
I had it serviced when I bought it 6 months ago - but the speed has always been a bit off. I've recently put new tape in- and it ran well for a couple of hours. I've tried lubricating the motor with WD40, and gently sanding the pinch roller (and cleaning the residue off...).
How do I tell whether the felt pads are too old? How can I verify if the pinch wheel is set to the correct tightness?
What else should I be doing?
Carefully remove each and every molecule of oil from tape path. Also, clean all details thoroughly to remove all residue by acetone mixed with vinegar.
It will help.

thenapking
15th June 2010
Old 15th June 2010
Gear nut

Thanks - I can't remember the kind of tape, but I got it from a friend who has owned a Space Echo for years which works with out problem. So I'm sure it's not that. After changing the tape recently it worked for about 2 hours and then was back to it's usual warbly, sticking rubbishness.
There is some wear along the tape though - along both the top and the bottom. It's had about 8-12 hours use. That's surely wrong. I'm going to clean it with alcohol - is there anything else I should check at the same time?
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear Head

Roland RE201

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiaque View Post
which type of tape are you using?

got an re-201 too and had the same problems, then figured out that there are certain types of tape that are not suited for tape loops because they smear. (for example most master tapes)

now i'm using rmg per528 or lpr35 which work great. just change tape loops regularly - it helps a lot with the performance.

peter
Hello

is this a tape you are using RMG LPR 35 1/4" 1100m Plastic Reel - Thomann Cyberstore Sverige ?

It works well with Roland Re201 ? No problems whatsoever ?

What king of gear do you have to split/cut/splice the tape ?

THANKS
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Gear Head

Hello Folks

i want do DIY mine own tape loops for Roland RE201 and if some of you have have an experience with it and wants to share ?

I see that the tapes must be self lubricated and 4 meters lenght.

The Thomann in Europe is selling RMG tapes . Are they good ? What thickness should i choose ?

Those are two i´m looking at

RMG SM911 1/4" 762m

RMG LPR 35 1/4" 1100m

are they any good ?

What equipement are you using when you cut your own tapes ?

Thx for ant reply

Best wishes
7th March 2012
Old 7th March 2012
Lives for gear

A couple of things that may help:

These guys still sell the special back-lubricated tape for Echoplex-type tape echo units:
The Cart Guys
Also, treating the pinch-roller with this stuff can help tremendously:
RUBBER RENUE 3.5oz
With any luck, this may be all you need to get back in the game.
9th March 2012
Old 9th March 2012
Dorkus Maximus

the least expensive way to get tape for your Space Echo is CART tape. Cart Guys are great, but you can very often find CARTS in surplus stores and online.

Also, clean the tape path all the time. I do it regularly, as even the smallest bit of residue on a guide post or on the heads can cause the tape to stick, crease, and warble, leading to more of the same.
14th March 2012
Old 14th March 2012
Gear interested

Space Echo Service Kit

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search