New Reply
Subscribe
evosilica
26th April 2010
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Transformers that fit in a Behringer Ultrafex II EX3100

Hi,

i own a behringer ultrafex ex 3100 for some years but i didn't find it very useful, even though i think it doesn't sound bad. last week a friend saw it lying around and asked me, if it works analog or digital. i didn't know so i opened it up and what do i see, beside that it looks completly analog: there is a place left for optional output transformers.

so i would really like to find out, how this thing can sound with good transformers, since i always wanted to try some transformer-based color device for the 2bus.

can you help me, what kind of colored sounding transformers would fit?
the behringer manual says, you must use behringer ot-1 transformers, but i guess theese must be ... not so good and i couldn't find any info about them.

i try to make better pics tomorrow.

thanks in advance
26th April 2010
Old 26th April 2010
Lives for gear

Speaking of sound with transformer, the buzz and other interferences it picks up from ground loops will be quieter.

It is the urban legend as if transformers add good color to sounds: they degrade sound. The better are transformers, the less they degrade the sound. However, when your gear clips transformer clipping sounds less nasty than clipping of opamps, but what for to clip at all?

evosilica
27th April 2010
Old 27th April 2010
Lives for gear

I agree, technically they degrade the sound, they distort and they don't have a flat frequency response, but i'm not sure if this is a bad thing for every signal, especially itb. Tape is the same thing.
Recently i experimented with parallel distortion on the masterbus (only very small amounts). So i was degrading my sound, but it acually sounded much better on this particular track.

Does anybody have a pinout of the behringer ot-1 transformer and/or a hint for a suitable colored transformer?

Thanx!!
1st May 2010
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

Well, you could email Behringer and ask them for a schematic. You just might get lucky. While you're at it, ask them for the part number of the transformer that was intended to go there.

Indeed it would be quite interesting to hear the difference.
I am very surprised that they would have made provision for a transformer.
1st May 2010
Old 1st May 2010
Lives for gear

I just searched their website for the availability of a service manual. They didn't have it. I had no idea Behringer were around in 1993...

But I did find a scan of the owner's manual (I think)
It mentions : optional transformer output. (for the XLR output, instead of their "servo balanced amplifier".
Attached Images
File Type: png UltrafexII-quote.png (83.0 KB, 644 views)
18th August 2010
Old 18th August 2010
Lives for gear

I really like the behringer Ultrafex i must say, a lot of stuff comes out better with, than without it. This i cant say for 98% of all the plugins out there
21st August 2010
Old 21st August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2N1305 View Post
Well, you could email Behringer and ask them for a schematic. You just might get lucky. While you're at it, ask them for the part number of the transformer that was intended to go there.

Indeed it would be quite interesting to hear the difference.
I am very surprised that they would have made provision for a transformer.
I have several pieces from Behringer from ''90's that has this output transformer option..Plus, they were all thru-hole components, not SMT and built with metal enclosure not the tinfoil/plastic stuff they have today..,I bought this stuff new in '90 and it still works..!....( Auto-Com, 5 band Para EQ, EX-3100 X-citer, etc..)
21st August 2010
Old 21st August 2010
Lives for gear

Early behringer quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
I have several pieces from Behringer from ''90's that has this output transformer option..Plus, they were all thru-hole components, not SMT and built with metal enclosure not the tinfoil/plastic stuff they have today..,I bought this stuff new in '90 and it still works..!....( Auto-Com, 5 band Para EQ, EX-3100 X-citer, etc..)
Yeah, the early stuff that was made in Germany with gold neutrik XLRs was well built. However, I did have to re-cap the power supply of my Composer a couple years ago.
22nd August 2010
Old 22nd August 2010
Lives for gear

SOT...That 5 band Parametric EQ from Berry is quite interesting..I'm sure if someone reversed engineered it and really get the design up th snuff, it'll probably be a decent EQ..!..It has the features:

5 band bypass for each separate band..
Hi cut/Low cut "variable" filters..
Option for output tranny on PCB
Thru-Hole components for sticking in sockets

Anyone wanna take a shot at mine EQ or Auto-Com..........?...

Get it up and sounding good and I'll give you an X-citer 3100.......
22nd August 2010
Old 22nd August 2010
Lives for gear

Hi
The distortion you get with a transformer depends on the circuit that is driving it and how it handles the point at which the core 'saturates'. This is a product of level and frequency. If this causes the AMPLIFIER section to go into hard clipping then it will get nasty. The 'softer 'saturation' beloved of many is often from valve output stages which are quite 'soggy' and will itself distort progressively rather than simply 'clip' which is likely from an IC driven output stage (there are some designs that behave better but many do not).
Matt S
23rd August 2010
Old 23rd August 2010
Gear Head

Transformer

You might try this one.

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/datashts/123dbx.pdf

It might just "drop in" depending on hole spacing and how the PCB traces are configured. Remember to cut away the jumper wires that are inplace on the PCB that allow the signal to pass with out a transformer fitted.

Good Luck!
28th January 2011
Old 28th January 2011
Gear interested

Need pinout of the Behringer OT-1 transformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evosilica View Post
Does anybody have a pinout of the behringer ot-1 transformer and/or a hint for a suitable colored transformer?
I know this is an old thread, but I need the pinout of the OT-1 transformer, and cant' find it anywhere! If I could get a schematic of any Behringer equipment that has that transformer, that would also work.

I bought a used DI 4000 at a good price with the idea that I would cannibalize the OT-1 transformers to use in a DIY preamp-active crossover. Basically I want to have them to break ground loops when needed, at the output. I guess I was expecting two leads in and two leads out (like the Jensen 1:1 isolation transformers in the Iso-Max units), but these things have many leads! It would be very cool if the DI 4000 buttons for -20db achieved that by using different taps on the transformer (!), but that seems too good to be true. And yet...

Anyway, tracing the leads to make sense of the units is harder than it sounds. I'd be very grateful for a sheet on the units.
1st February 2011
Old 1st February 2011
Lives for gear

Judging from the pin-out shown, this is not an off-the-shelf transformer.

With a in-focus pic of the pcb track side and a schematic, it should be possible to find a standard transformer that will perform well.

Jakob E.
6th February 2011
Old 6th February 2011
Lives for gear

the transformer you are looking for is the same one that is used of their DI boxes. But they deleted it because of a certain circuit unstablilty.
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Gear interested

ive just bought an ultrafex 2 for 15 quid , lets see if it works !
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search