Voice Chip for Alesis Andromeda A6?
Old 26th January 2010
Gear maniac

Voice Chip for Alesis Andromeda A6?

Anyone know where I can source of these? I've contacted Alesis, Pro Digital, and Wavefront Semiconductors to no avail. Please help me out if you can. pm me if possible with any leads. I've also posted in the electronic music forum....

Thank you.
Old 27th January 2010
Lives for gear

Do you know what the voice chip is? I have a bunch of the AL3101 DSP chips used on the Alesis Q01, but different keyboards use different voice chips. And how did it blow up?
Old 28th January 2010
Lives for gear

I did some reading... and I understand now. It is the Ion that used the AL3101 voice chip, and that is the one available from Wavefront, and the ones that I have. Of course, the A6 uses an analogue voice chip, like the Roland Juno 106, etc. If that IC is really unobtainium, it might be possible to reverse-engineer the IC, and re-engineer a 'replacement' - probably a small PC board that you solder in place of the original voice chip. That is what somebody has done with the Roland Juno 106 voice modules.

Doing this would require a skilled reverse engineer to have a synth with at least one working voice chip, a 'scope, possibly a logic analyzer, and the service manual, and a whole lot of time. The other 'option' which Alesis could possibly do is have a firmware update that allows you to selectively disable voice chips so that you'd not have a dead note appear once in a while - the synth would just behave like a 15-voice synth instead of 16-voice. It's 'only software'.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search