Ipod TRRS breakout cable or 30 pin?
BEEEEE
21st January 2010
Old 21st January 2010
Gear interested

Question Ipod TRRS breakout cable or 30 pin?

I have just wasted my time making a breakout cable/box built from an old TRRS component video camera cable, a project box, and 2 panel mount jacks. I wanted the jacks housed inside a box so they would be a little more sturdy, also because I read somewhere that I might need to place a capacitor in line to block the dc current, and I wanted to hide it in the box.
The 3.5mm stereo headphone jack works great, but the 1/4" mono mic input jack does not.
There is no capacitor in line yet... I wanted to make sure it worked before I got worried about current flowing to my mics.
I have tried using a vocal mic(sm58), instrument mic(sm57), and a computer mic just to see if I got any signal. Nothing.
Is there a reason only electret mics work in the 4 conductor jack?
Is there any other 4 conductor cable that WOULD work?
Everything should be wired properly...

Option B is to buy a 30 pin breakout board and solder the cables onto the board. Would this work?
If I did this, it seems like I would have more options at hand.
I would like to have 2 separate volume controls: one for the headphones and one for the mic/line input level. What components would I need for this?
Any help at all would be much appreciated.
I own an Ipod Touch 2nd gen and an Ipod Nano 2nd gen.
And I have tried using "voice memos" and griffin's "italk" app.
Thanks!
cbarrett92
21st January 2010
Old 21st January 2010
cbarrett92

BEEEEE
21st January 2010
Old 21st January 2010
Gear interested

Hi Chris,

No I haven't tried adding gain yet... I'll give it a try.
I have a Presonus tube preamp to boost the signal. Maybe that'll do the trick. (but would this be safe for the ipod?)
I did visit the bentronics site to double check my wiring and peruse through comments. It seemed like everyone else there had success with running an sm58 mic direct without adding gain. Hmm, oh well.
Could the 3.1 update have anything to do with this?

Also, I noticed you were going to attempt making an interface for your iphone using the 30-pin "podbreakout" board.
Any luck?

And finally... (last question) when adding a capacitor to block the dc, where do you place it? Ground to hot? Or just spliced in line with the hot wire only? I bought a 10uF 35V electrolytic capacitor. I noticed that the voltage was less on the one bentronics recommends. Will this hurt anything?
BEEEEE
22nd January 2010
Old 22nd January 2010
Gear interested

Everything works great now. No gain needed.
I guess the Ipod didn't recognize it the first time...
I ran my sm58 through the presonus tubepre, but got no signal.
Next I ran it through a small mixer and finally got a signal.
After that I ran the mic direct into the Ipod and it was instantly recognized and had plenty of gain.
I'm not worried about the capacitor either.... The current is not enough to do damage, plus I won't be using the mic too often.

Is there an app that lets you control gain? 4 track?
It would be nice to have a mobile recording setup with the ability to add tracks later. I'm thinking this would be a good purchase.
25th July 2010
Old 25th July 2010
Gear interested

Thumbs up FiRe

Quote:
Is there an app that lets you control gain? 4 track?
It would be nice to have a mobile recording setup with the ability to add tracks later. I'm thinking this would be a good purchase.
Yes, Try FiRe - Field Recorder by Audiofile Engineering. It's great! It has +24db of gain boost and accurate realtime metering.

It has an overdub feature but it is not a multi-track recorder.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search