Login / Register

"Wye not wye." and combining signal with a Y cable.
New Reply
Subscribe
DRC
3rd January 2010
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

"Wye not wye." and combining signal with a Y cable.

I have split signals just fine using 2 and 3 way Y cables. But I am kind of confused as to why a pair of line level signals will not sum together. I read the Rane website and I got the whole idea of isolating the signals from ground loops. I still don't understand why a pair of balanced signals won't work if the impedance level is the same for both?

What I am trying to accomplish is the use of reverb on one channel of my Lexicon MPX1 and Delay on the other (or a combination of two different delay times and feedback levels) and split them from the fx loop send of my amp and combine them to the return. The loop is a parallel wet/dry type that I can take completely out of the circuit.

Am I going to have to get something like a Whirlwind IMP Combiner for this?

Whirlwind / Combiners

3rd January 2010
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Generally you can't combine signals together with a "Y" because the output amplifiers of each contributer will load the other down, and at best reduce level and increase distortion, and at worst cause each to self destruct.

The amplifiers present a very low impedance, and will actively try to cancel anything that is going in their output that is not at the input, a function of negative feedback.

All you need to do is use a resistor from each output to the summing point. Something in the 2.2K to 4.7K for a passive sum should be fine.

Balanced or unbalanced, it's the same, you can do a balanced sum with one resistor from each leg of balanced sources to a balanced input.
3rd January 2010
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to msquared Send a message via Skype™ to msquared
DRC
4th January 2010
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Kennedy View Post
Generally you can't combine signals together with a "Y" because the output amplifiers of each contributer will load the other down, and at best reduce level and increase distortion, and at worst cause each to self destruct.

The amplifiers present a very low impedance, and will actively try to cancel anything that is going in their output that is not at the input, a function of negative feedback.

All you need to do is use a resistor from each output to the summing point. Something in the 2.2K to 4.7K for a passive sum should be fine.

Balanced or unbalanced, it's the same, you can do a balanced sum with one resistor from each leg of balanced sources to a balanced input.
Now I get it. Nothing is stopping the output from one side bleeding into the next. Thanks Dan.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search