'Y' cable construction-dual phono->xlr male?
Old 16th December 2009
Gear nut

'Y' cable construction-dual phono->xlr male?

I'm just starting to make my own cables, so pls bear with me.

I'm trying to make a dual rca -> male xlr 'Y' cable to run my Turntable outs(dual rca's)->GTQ2 pre(single xlr male)->MPC 60 record in(single trs input).

I'm using mogami 2 conductor cable, but wanted to know if this is even possible with the cable I own, then I was going to buy the connectors.

Would I connect one wire and half the shield to one rca and the other to the other rca? Where would the corresponding connections be made on the xlr connector?

Thanks in advance.
Old 17th December 2009
Lives for gear

If you're splitting the shield, it sounds like you're working with standard balanced/single-channel cable. In which case, you're definitely going to need some heat-shrink.

Otherwise, a stereo style cable: Mogami 2930, 2528, 3106 should all work well for you
Old 17th December 2009
Gear addict

Sum to mono

You need to sum to mono before feeding to the pre. On the XLR the Shield would go to 1 and 3, and hot to 2. You are also going to be feeding the pre the wrong voltage from the turntable and most likely cause it to distort.

I would buy a direct box that takes -10(RCA) to mic level. Radial makes a stereo unit. Its the Radial JPC Radial Engineering - JPC Computer / A/V Direct Box
Old 17th December 2009
Gear nut

Thanks guys.
Old 17th December 2009
Lives for gear
You need RIAA preamp!
Old 17th December 2009
Gear nut

I'm running my TT thru a Stanton mixer, but wanted to try using my GTQ2 as preamp w/ the TT grounded to the old mixer.

This is all experimental, so I'm just trying to get some general ideas on cabling and such.
Old 17th December 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetam View Post
You need RIAA preamp!
Just read up on the riaa eq curve, thanks for bringing it up. Scratch the whole thing!!!!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search