MXR M136 Dual Limiter Schematic
alkooloid
1st September 2009
Old 1st September 2009
Gear addict

MXR M136 Dual Limiter Schematic

I've scoured the interwebs and cannot find one. Seems to be an arcane
Holy Grail sort of thing. Anyone have it on file? I'll BYBFF.

Al
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
I just went through one. It uses 5534 opamps and a demultiplexer and transistor array as a VCA. I used ADA4898-1 opamps and direct coupled it. The power supply was redone too. It's not that complex insides. I did it without schematics.
Since it's stereo it's easy to repair as one working channel shows correct operating voltages.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
alkooloid
2nd September 2009
Old 2nd September 2009
Gear addict

What would you charge to redo mine?
It's working fine, just like to get a little more clarity and low end.
Are you aware that stock they're pin 3 hot?

Thanks.
3rd September 2009
Old 3rd September 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkooloid View Post
What would you charge to redo mine?
It's working fine, just like to get a little more clarity and low end.
Are you aware that stock they're pin 3 hot?

Thanks.
I had one for years. For a time I had 3 or 4 of them in a rack. I find them to be very musical, like all the MXR processors I've owned. I think the low end is great, I ran my synths through it and it did wonders for the low end. It isn't great for clarity though. I would look elsewhere for that, and spend a lot more money.
alkooloid
3rd September 2009
Old 3rd September 2009
Gear addict

You were a big inspiration for me getting one of these, SG.

What did you use yours for? It's pretty sweet the way it is, but I know it could be a little bigger.

I really like the build quality and looks - it's amazing how well it's held up
for all these years.

I've already changed the hot to pin 2, and now I want to swap out the
electrolytics for some freshies.

If there was a schematic hiding under a rock somewhere, I'd be a happy boy.
3rd September 2009
Old 3rd September 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkooloid View Post
You were a big inspiration for me getting one of these, SG.

What did you use yours for? It's pretty sweet the way it is, but I know it could be a little bigger.

I was using them for everything, but my budget was pretty tight and the price was right. For something real clear without spending too much consider the Aphex Expressor 651. Jim's mod will make it even more clear, I had that once.

Right now I just have an Ashley rack mount mixer and Ashley compressor for my little Adat set up. Nothing pro, but sounds pretty decent.

b.t.w. a few years back I talked Richard Dodd into checking out the MXR limiter and sent him one of them. He thought it a little to wooly for his taste. But hey, what does Dodd know?
alkooloid
3rd September 2009
Old 3rd September 2009
Gear addict

Thanks, SG. It will now go into my shrine/rack of awful/awesome comps which include: Symetrix 501 (toggle), Ashly SC-50, Shure SE-30, Valley People Dyna-Mites. The ones that are on the fence between ugly and beautiful are: dbx 160VU, dbx 160X, dbx 165, MXR M136. The ones that sound good and are used when I need pretty neutral smooshing: Aphex Expressor, Art Pro VLA.

I'm building 2 Drip 175s simultaneously. They'll be a whole new stratosphere. I'm hoping to be able to use them on the mix buss.
A friend has an old stereo tube RCA program limiter that he got in Nashville that we used to run mixes through. It was horrible and incredible all at once.
You'd have to be real careful with the left-right balance cause you'd never know what mood it would wake up in, but for the right song, it was GOD-LIKE. All my digi-crap was forgiven. There's a little guitar device I have called "The Redeemer", and it's a shame they got the rights to that name because the right buss comp sure can be one. Damn thing was like one of those preachers on the TV machine shouting "Heal!"
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I just went through one. It uses 5534 opamps and a demultiplexer and transistor array as a VCA. I used ADA4898-1 opamps and direct coupled it. The power supply was redone too. It's not that complex insides. I did it without schematics.
Since it's stereo it's easy to repair as one working channel shows correct operating voltages.
And I must say it sounds fantastic (and the multicolored LED provides hours of amusement).

John
4th October 2009
Old 4th October 2009
Gear nut

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search