Login / Register

Modifying a channel strip to have a direct out.
New Reply
Subscribe
Nik D
21st March 2005
Old 21st March 2005
Gear interested

Modifying a channel strip to have a direct out.

I bought a Soundcraft 400b 16 channel mixer, and didn't realize it didn't have any direct outs on the channels. I feel really stupid, and if it's possible I want to add direct outs to all 16 channels. I'm using this mixer for the pres more than for mixing duties. Is there anything I can do?
21st March 2005
Old 21st March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik D
I bought a Soundcraft 400b 16 channel mixer, and didn't realize it didn't have any direct outs on the channels. I feel really stupid, and if it's possible I want to add direct outs to all 16 channels. I'm using this mixer for the pres more than for mixing duties. Is there anything I can do?
Hi

That's a tall order if you have very little electronic experience.

As a starting point, you might be able to cobble something together by fitting 16 x SSM2142 balanced output IC's on a piece of strip board that you hide somewhere inside the console, tapped off a post fade amplifier point.

http://datasheets.sinus.cz/sosni.php?id=2688

Then you have to cut a hole in the metalwork for an Elco or similar connector.

I don't know what this will do to any warranty the console may have...

See us on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/auroraaudio
http://www.auroraaudio.net/
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may1...off-tanner.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Window-Past-Ge...8737082&sr=1-9
http://www.grandmasterrecorders.com

For quicker responses, please use my email (Geoff at auroraaudio.net) in preference to pm's and visitor messages!
21st March 2005
Old 21st March 2005
Gear addict

You could just use the inserts and only put in your cable going into the insert send until it "clicks once." I had a 200b and I could even use EQ on the channel because it was permenantly set to post fader. I assume you probably new that though.

You could get 10 ouputs by using the 2 mains, the 4 Aux sends, and the 4 busses as mono sends. Sorry I am not familiar with this board so I am just assuming this is its configuration.

Beez
Nik D
21st March 2005
Old 21st March 2005
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezoboy
You could just use the inserts and only put in your cable going into the insert send until it "clicks once." I had a 200b and I could even use EQ on the channel because it was permenantly set to post fader. I assume you probably new that though.

You could get 10 ouputs by using the 2 mains, the 4 Aux sends, and the 4 busses as mono sends. Sorry I am not familiar with this board so I am just assuming this is its configuration.

Beez
Yeah, I discovered the one click ticket about 45 minutes ago. I feel so dumb for not doing that the first time (I've been up for around 40 hours and I'm not thinking well at all). Thankfully it seems that all the channels have direct outs, even though they aren't really labled as such. (Labled as INS) Thanks for the help though, and the quick responses! The board is from around 78 or 79 and is in extremely nice shape, all it needs is a few new lights for the VUs and a good dusting.
23rd March 2005
Old 23rd March 2005
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

It's very easy to add direct outs to these. Get some shielded cable, tac at the fader amp's output. Drill and mount isolated 1/4 " stereo jacks. Run the shielded cable to the jack and wire the "tip" to the cable hot. Run a 75 ohm resistor from the "ring" to ground. Tie the jack's ground lug to the input ground, not the buss ground. You now have ground compensated, asymetrical balanced direct outputs!

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Nik D
23rd March 2005
Old 23rd March 2005
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
It's very easy to add direct outs to these. Get some shielded cable, tac at the fader amp's output. Drill and mount isolated 1/4 " stereo jacks. Run the shielded cable to the jack and wire the "tip" to the cable hot. Run a 75 ohm resistor from the "ring" to ground. Tie the jack's ground lug to the input ground, not the buss ground. You now have ground compensated, asymetrical balanced direct outputs!

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Wow, that's really cool! I need to learn alot more about electronics so I can do my own mods and build some gear. What would you suggest as a good starting point for learning electronics and building gear?
24th March 2005
Old 24th March 2005
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Peter Morrison
Kicking around the Geekslutz forum of course doesn't hurt, but one of the best places I've found is http://www.prodigy-pro.com/forum/index.php this used to be the same group that was on recording.org

I'm still a mere lurker over there, but it is the first place I will go when I build my first piece of gear

Of course you might want to also pick up some basic electronics books from a bookstore or radioshack, this'll get you on track to reading and understanding schematics, from there you will start to recognize similar things between pieces of gear and that'll give you a great start on figuring out what is really going on inside (or where you should tap to build your own direct out)

Good Luck
Peter

Creative Producer
Hilton Media Management
www.hiltonmm.com

Find me online
www.PeterKMorrison.com
www.imdb.com/name/nm2947879/
24th March 2005
Old 24th March 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Man...! Jim makes this stuff sound so easy. Must be nice to be so knowledgeable..!

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search