Replacing mic capsules
New Reply
Subscribe
emreyazgin
27th May 2008
Old 27th May 2008
Gear addict

Replacing mic capsules

Is this even possible? Physically fitting the new capsule into the mic is one problem, but mainly I was wondering if electronically is this a possible scenario?

Lets say, can we take an original U87 capsule and fit it into an SE mic like a z3300 etc?

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Emre
28th May 2008
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear

Yes, this is possible. I've replaced capsules on Apex/Nady chinese-made microphones with Peluso capsules with great results.
emreyazgin
28th May 2008
Old 28th May 2008
Gear addict

Thanks for the reply, good to see that there is at least one example of such a replacement.

Of course its an expensive experiment to carry out even just the neumann capsules are 500-600 $ i guess..
28th May 2008
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emreyazgin View Post
Is this even possible? Physically fitting the new capsule into the mic is one problem, but mainly I was wondering if electronically is this a possible scenario?

Lets say, can we take an original U87 capsule and fit it into an SE mic like a z3300 etc?

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Emre
Emre,

It is possible, but without knowing the schematics it is impossible to say whether the capsule will be under optimized conditions or not.

Does the SE have a DC/DC converter? What kind of capsule bias voltage it gives?

Also, let me bring to your attention the fact that K87 for a flat response requires EQ (study U67 and U 87 shcematics) to compensate for HF boost. If you don't use it your mic will be overly bright.

Best, M
29th May 2008
Old 29th May 2008
Gear nut

The Russians are Coming!

Before you break the bank on a bona-fide Neuman capsule, try picking up a used Oktava MK 219. I understand their capsules are physically and electrically very similar to the Neuman Caps (although single pattern) and a helluva lot cheaper to experiment with. Likewise, there is an older Gefell (aka RFT) head that's probably better than a modern Neuman (I can never remember the number, but it is black on one side and sort of "champagne" on the other). It was designed by Heir Neumann and built in their east German plant when he ran the joint. They go for $350 to $500 on EBay without a preamp.

I wouldn't be too ashamed of your Chinese clone unless you don't actually like the sound of it or unless the capsules are not sufficiently well matched to make the patterns useful. If we had all grown up listening to recordings made with Chinese mics, people would be poppin open their 87s to install capsules by SE. Might be better to spend the money on expanding your mic arsenal with mics of a different character so you have more choices.
emreyazgin
29th May 2008
Old 29th May 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcharrison View Post
Before you break the bank on a bona-fide Neuman capsule, try picking up a used Oktava MK 219. I understand their capsules are physically and electrically very similar to the Neuman Caps (although single pattern) and a helluva lot cheaper to experiment with. Likewise, there is an older Gefell (aka RFT) head that's probably better than a modern Neuman (I can never remember the number, but it is black on one side and sort of "champagne" on the other). It was designed by Heir Neumann and built in their east German plant when he ran the joint. They go for $350 to $500 on EBay without a preamp.

I wouldn't be too ashamed of your Chinese clone unless you don't actually like the sound of it or unless the capsules are not sufficiently well matched to make the patterns useful. If we had all grown up listening to recordings made with Chinese mics, people would be poppin open their 87s to install capsules by SE. Might be better to spend the money on expanding your mic arsenal with mics of a different character so you have more choices.
Thank you for all the valuable information. I really love my SE mics, even the cheapest se1a finds itself a use from time to time..Dont get me wrong. However I just came across capsules on ebay and thought if its a valid project to swap capsules.
emreyazgin
29th May 2008
Old 29th May 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marik View Post
Emre,

It is possible, but without knowing the schematics it is impossible to say whether the capsule will be under optimized conditions or not.

Does the SE have a DC/DC converter? What kind of capsule bias voltage it gives?

Also, let me bring to your attention the fact that K87 for a flat response requires EQ (study U67 and U 87 shcematics) to compensate for HF boost. If you don't use it your mic will be overly bright.

Best, M
Thanks a lot Marik.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search