DIY desk top speaker stands
New Reply
Subscribe
hollywood_steve
12th March 2004
Old 12th March 2004
Lives for gear

DIY desk top speaker stands

Many of us utilize desks or benches as our main work surface and would like to locate our nearfields on this surface as well. But we need some way to elevate the speakers up off of the surface, anywhere from 8" to 18" or so, depending on how high the table top is, how high we like to sit, etc. Finding purpose built speaker stands this small isn't easy, but they are out there. Unfortunately, most of the stands this short are designed for cheap "computer" speakers or other tiny home hifi speakers, so they have ridiculous weight limits, like 4LBs. Or the stands are so flimsy that you would never trust your favorite monitors up there.

The only products that I found to be good enough were the two small stands from Sound Anchors; they are rock solid and look good, like everything else they make. But they ain't cheap and some of us have a hard time spending a couple of hundred bucks just to lift our monitors a few inches.

Walking around the local home improvement mega-warehouse store, I came across the glass block display and thought about piling up 2 or 3 of these under each monitor. It took me a half hour of stacking the blocks countless different ways. (laying flat, on edge, and various combinations of both) but I eventually came up with a configuration that got me the height I needed, was sturdy, and looked very cool. I have a pair standing next to each other on edge, with a third block perpendicular to the other two.

This gives me a flat surface a little longer front to back than side to side, just like my speakers. And it shows the "presentation" side of the glass blocks to anyone in the room, unless you walk around behind the monitors and then you will see the edges of the blocks.

The lame sketch below shows the basic arrangement of the blocks. I have the blocks resting on a 12" square piece of 1/2" cork and my monitors sit on a mouse pad resting on the glass blocks. After I had the blocks arranged the way I wanted them, I emptied a tube of the 100% silicon adhesive/caulk that they sell with the glass blocks. This caulk adhered the 3 blocks to each other and also helped deaden any any possible resonance within the blocks.

The blocks cost $4ea, so the total cost for both stands was around $30. I'll try to post a real photo in a couple of days.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY desk top speaker stands-glass_blocks.jpg  

lex125@pacbell.net
http://www.lexington125.com
hollywood_steve
18th March 2004
Old 18th March 2004
Lives for gear

here's the photo you all have been anxiously waiting for.......

FWIW, the final cost for the stands came in at just under $18 each.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY desk top speaker stands-monitor_stand.jpg  
18th March 2004
Old 18th March 2004
Lives for gear

Hehe it looks like a big ice cube

Where's the scotch to go with it?

6th July 2012
Old 6th July 2012
Lives for gear

The scotch, still in it's box at the store, is sad that HS hasn't made up some stuff about the magical aural properties of quartz crystal fusion alignment and space-age polymer enhancement and moved the decimal point over one place. Or wired a blue led to a cat5 jack and moved it over another place. C'mon HS - tell us about the imaging and subtle nuance improvements....
23rd December 2012
Old 23rd December 2012
Gear maniac

I'm going to use 100 year old rustic oak barnwood scraps (of course you could use any wood)....a short piece of 4x4 as the leg sandwiched between 2 pieces of 1" for top and bottom and paint it black to match my desk. Total cost for me: $0. Should have them done faster than it would take me to drive to the hardware and back.

If you're a James Taylor fan you'll love my stuff.
www.soundcloud.com/paul-ladendorf
3rd April 2013
Old 3rd April 2013
Lives for gear

I've used 2 or 3 stacks of unused A4 paper in the past.

Seemed to work OK.

Mac Mini i7, Logic 9 + Lion
3rd April 2013
Old 3rd April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRand View Post
I've used 2 or 3 stacks of unused A4 paper in the past.

Seemed to work OK.
What color paper?
Laser or Inkjet?
Hope it was "acid-free"!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search