Bridging a stereo power amp to mono
New Reply
Subscribe
faeflora
18th February 2004
Old 18th February 2004
Lives for gear

Bridging a stereo power amp to mono

How could one bridge a stereo power amp to mono? I have a stereo guitar power amplifier that I would like to bridge to mono externally to power speaker cabinents more effectively. Are there any pre-manufactured devices that do this? If not, how could I make one myself, and what should I watch out for?

Thanks,
FF
18th February 2004
Old 18th February 2004
Lives for gear

Not all power amps can be bridged.

Some poweramps are already bridged internally, actually four amps bridged to two. This is to keep psu voltages down - but cannot be bridged once more.

Also your power amplifiers will be loaded with half the speaker impedance when working bridged. If you drive a 4-Ohm speaker, each amp will see only 2 Ohms. many amps dislike this.

But if all is well, simply feed the amp a balanced signal: +phase to one amp, and -phase to the other. Simple as that.

For a simple way of using unbalanced input signal, use a 1:1 line input transformer with centre tapped secondary.

Jakob E.
faeflora
18th February 2004
Old 18th February 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by gyraf
But if all is well, simply feed the amp a balanced signal: +phase to one amp, and -phase to the other. Simple as that.

For a simple way of using unbalanced input signal, use a 1:1 line input transformer with centre tapped secondary.

Jakob E.
Hi Jakob, thanks for the reply.

So I could just connect positive on the cable to positive on one side, and negative to negative on the other side?

What does centre tapped secondary mean?

Thanks,
FF
20th February 2004
Old 20th February 2004
Gear nut

FF,

No it´s not the speaker cabels you shall phase reverse, it is signal on inputs.

If your power amp have balansed inputs you can use a balansed Y-splitt cable and phase reverse one of the connectors.

It is very inportant that you feed the stereo power amp with one mono signal and that the input level controls on the amp are adjust to equal level.

Then you connect the speaker cable leads to the left and right positive terminals (negative terminals is not connected) and the negative speaker lead shall go to this amp half that you have don a phase reverse on.

As Jakob say, you must use the double speaker impedance compare what the lowest allowed speaker impadancse are on each amp half.
(if the amp lowest impedance are 4 ohms, you must use a 8 ohms speaker in bridge use)

If the inputs not are balanced you can use a 1:1+1 transformer. there the 1+1 windings feed each amp and one of the wndings are phase reversed . (or a 1:1 transformer phase reversed on one input)

--Bo
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search