The GUTZ
New Reply
Subscribe
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorrrrrr View Post
Amazing thread. But I wish I could find what does an RME Babyface has inside that little blue box.
or in the case of mine that little white box
15th August 2012
Old 15th August 2012
Banned

Any pictures of the Latte convertors ?
15th August 2012
Old 15th August 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFZ DUDE View Post
EAR 660 Limiter, wonderful sounding unit.11K USD right now per piece.
I mean they sound beautiful & magic -no question - but where is that money?
Certainly not in those 69cent rotary switches....
Dont want to bash this but as a customer who actually bought these...at least i am really enjoying the sound - need to switch off the tech in me.
The iron...but mostely you pay for the brain and knowledge behind the design ;-). A most forgotten thing these days of DYI where people dont have to think much themselv..but just copy and build.

Kind regards

/Peter

>>An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field<<
15th August 2012
Old 15th August 2012
Gear nut

Ams Neve 8816

The GUTZ-8816.jpg Name: 8816.JPG Views: 1626 Size: 2.61 MB ID: 305125" style="margin: 2px" />
27th August 2012
Old 27th August 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Simonsen View Post
The iron...but mostely you pay for the brain and knowledge behind the design ;-). A most forgotten thing these days of DYI where people dont have to think much themselv..but just copy and build.

Kind regards

/Peter
there is something to it but i roughly calculated the cost of these things, if i hire the most expensive custom transformer guy in germany and get the cases done by a professional shop and all im still WELL under 1k each...USING QUALITY PARTS!!

sure you gotta design something like this but honestly there is close to nothing you cant learn about tube circuits thats not been written before 1940.

you cannot reinvent the wheel.
3rd September 2012
Old 3rd September 2012
Gear Head

Here is the guts of my Audio Developments 145:
Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-_sdi0174.jpg   The GUTZ-_sdi0175.jpg  
24th September 2012
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

15th November 2012
Old 15th November 2012
Gear Head

Audient Centro Master Section Monitor Controller

Just recently put this in my mastering studio. There are so many mixed reviews on this monitor controller I thought I would crack it open and take a peek.

~Justin
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Banned

CBS Audimax II RZ vari-mu tube compressor-limiter

Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-cbs-audimax-iirz.jpg  
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFZ DUDE View Post
there is something to it but i roughly calculated the cost of these things, if i hire the most expensive custom transformer guy in germany and get the cases done by a professional shop and all im still WELL under 1k each...USING QUALITY PARTS!!

sure you gotta design something like this but honestly there is close to nothing you cant learn about tube circuits thats not been written before 1940.

you cannot reinvent the wheel.
But then try to start a company...pay the salory..pay the monthly lease of the building..the electricity...the insurances...pay the people working for you..ohh they do not get ill/sick at any time?...women at your factory do not get pregnant?...you gotta hire in stand ins for the ill and sick ones?..maintenances of the buildings..machines..ohh yes remember to buy machines!...customers services/repair/distribution...lawyers both local and international experts for export laws and regulations...remember to make barely enough profit to be able to spend time designing new stuff...taking care of your self..and family ?...you never need to take just a few days of each year to spend alone with your loved ones?.. ?..lots and lots of paper work to be done ohh ..try to pay for travel, hotels, food etc to cover AES and other professional shows around the globe ohh and..you know if you wanna sell world wide and get into distribution chains ..etc etc... hey they want a piece of the money too! and this is just a short list..It all adds up...sure if you are a "hobby builder" at your own house or dont need to take of running a serious business then I can see what you mean...;-).

Kind regards

Peter
19th December 2012
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
But then try to start a company...pay the salory..pay the monthly lease of the building..the electricity...the insurances...pay the people working for you..ohh they do not get ill/sick at any time?...women at your factory do not get pregnant?...you gotta hire in stand ins for the ill and sick ones?..maintenances of the buildings..machines..ohh yes remember to buy machines!...customers services/repair/distribution...lawyers both local and international experts for export laws and regulations...remember to make barely enough profit to be able to spend time designing new stuff...taking care of your self..and family ?...you never need to take just a few days of each year to spend alone with your loved ones?.. ?..lots and lots of paper work to be done ohh ..try to pay for travel, hotels, food etc to cover AES and other professional shows around the globe ohh and..you know if you wanna sell world wide and get into distribution chains ..etc etc... hey they want a piece of the money too! and this is just a short list..It all adds up...sure if you are a "hobby builder" at your own house or dont need to take of running a serious business then I can see what you mean...;-).

Kind regards

Peter
That's a great picture of the gutz of a business... well put!
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
...sure if you are a "hobby builder" at your own house or dont need to take of running a serious business then I can see what you mean...;-).
But there ARE examples of successful "hobby builders in their own house". There are people who make well-known and well-regarded microphone preamp products in their house, and even microphones. The internet and direct sales are what permit this kind of business model to be viable today where it wasn't even in our parents' era. I am thinking of examples in North America as well as in Europe. And ordering parts directly from suppliers in Asia is no big deal anymore. I have frequently seen better delivery times from Hong Kong to Portland, OR USA than from California.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrowley View Post
But there ARE examples of successful "hobby builders in their own house". There are people who make well-known and well-regarded microphone preamp products in their house, and even microphones. The internet and direct sales are what permit this kind of business model to be viable today where it wasn't even in our parents' era.
Ohh yes..;-)... Nothing agaist business from homes ..sorry..I quess I put it the wrong way ;-)

Kind regards

Peter
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Lives for gear

Shmc vkle #13

-Casey
Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-shmc.jpg  
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear Guru

Found some old school parts at the surplus store. I need to go back...

-tINY

Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-box-build1.jpg   The GUTZ-box-build2.jpg  
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear addict

Here's a custom XLR Patchbay I built for myself out of Mogami Quad cable.
It's a first time thing for me. Fun, but DAMN it required a lot of wire stripping.
Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-led-music-custom-xlr-patchbay-.-2.jpg   The GUTZ-led-music-custom-xlr-patchbay-.-3.jpg  
17th February 2013
Old 17th February 2013
Gear Head

G9.
27th February 2013
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

PEV

4th March 2013
Old 4th March 2013
Gear interested

An old JBL 7126 compressor

7th March 2013
Old 7th March 2013
Gear interested

Wow, talk about an awesome thread! It's interesting to see the variation of products across users - Will upload some of our pictures soon!

Didn't realise how popular this forum was!

Cheers,
Strings Direct
19th March 2013
Old 19th March 2013
Gear interested

heres my eventide h949
Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-p1050058.jpg  
6th May 2013
Old 6th May 2013
Gear Head

one of two ez1073s i just finished...
Attached Thumbnails
The GUTZ-photo-copy-3.jpg  
6th May 2013
Old 6th May 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipss36 View Post
one of two ez1073s i just finished...
Nice job on the EZ. One of the prettiest boards I have seen. Even the WIMAs are ordered from smaller to larger. Put a clear top on that one!

www.gearautopsy.com
6th May 2013
Old 6th May 2013
Gear Head

collin indeed made one the the best looking boards I have ever seen, all caps, transistors, regulators, face the same way, the gain stages and inverting sections, well everything clearly labeled on the silkscreen, the greyhill switches on resistors on the board, not all that work on the switch, the way the input transformers mount on headers....pretty cool stuff.

suppose my only wish on this pcb would be a few wider cap holes, i followed neves cap choices and could not in a few areas, also the unterminated or 600 holm termination area to have a few holes to run to a switch would be nice, i hacked it in, red and black twisted wires heading aft..
pretty minor stuff ...still the best pcb work I have ever seen..

they sound killer and look great in the rack too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
Nice job on the EZ. One of the prettiest boards I have seen. Even the WIMAs are ordered from smaller to larger. Put a clear top on that one!
8th June 2013
Old 8th June 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Echo Audiofire 12

After cutting two albums with it, it decided no more So I just had to crack it open.

Power supply is a off the self PB2515

9th June 2013
Old 9th June 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lain2097 View Post
Power supply is a off the self PB2515
Hi,
I like mine, but had to open it also, because i'm having troubles with my PSU (i assume) - the audiofire does usually boot up only on 2-5th attempt of turning it on.

You write that it's "off the shelf PB2515" - on which shelf can i found it?
Writing PB2515 power supply into google didn't give me any reasonable results.
I would need to find the PSU replacement. Probably the same would be just fine for now (later i'll perhaps try replacing with linear psu outside the rack unit)
9th June 2013
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

opps my mistake it is a "Mean Well PD-2515" http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/M...wj6pKOH0Z1PQ==

Looks to be a cheap switching dual channel +15 -15v DC supply. Should be pretty easy to replace or change with a nice linear one. It draws as much power as a fart, which is evidenced by the tiny amount of passives and one SoC. Not much to it.

Yea mine did that too, a couple of power ons and it would be okay. Just I ignored it for so long that now it simply does not start anymore. I probed its outputs and it seems to still be providing +15-15 but no current draw. I assume it's because the output is too noisy for the digital stuff to start so it doesn't.
9th June 2013
Old 9th June 2013
Gear nut

lain2097: thanks a lot!! ordered a new psu. you probably just saved my audiofire.
Yes, I also noticed that it gives +-15v even when it doesn't boot up correctly. Perhaps it's because the PSU doesn't start up fast enough or does something weird during the start up... (measured only using multimeter / don't have an osciloscope to monitor what exactly is going on...).

When it will again work as it should , then i'll try compare (measure) how it sounds sound with PWM psu versus linear psu. I am not sure if it's such a big deal in practice.
9th June 2013
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

How is it that we Slutz think we are smarter than EchoAudio who can sell likely thousands of products like the AudioFire 12 to presumably sophisticated and discriminating audiophile customers with switching power supplies which are so widely condemned in these forums?

Yes, I packed that all into one sentence!
10th June 2013
Old 10th June 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

@Richard Crowley

Don't know if you're being sarcastic or not but I never said there's anything wrong with well designed switching supplies, even Apogee and probably many others do as well. Every piece of high end highly reliable (100k+) networking I've seen uses switching supplies.

Other than that supply it seems well made especially considering the price for 12x12. Hasn't stopped Echo from moving product; I enjoyed using it and the results.

If something is built to a price and is 1/2 or less than a competitor well something has to be compromised.

In a weird way it was time to upgrade anyway.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search