Vocal effects, who prefers what?
New Reply
Subscribe
Quad
28th December 2006
Old 28th December 2006
Gear nut

Vocal effects, who prefers what?

what is some of your prefered vocal techniques or fav effects to usher in to the mix. As a prefered technique i dont roll with dubs on sum guys i work with, some have very aggressive voices and it doesnt seem to agree to one's ear. Other than that i usually only add so much reverb, its fairly stripped down and as for effects, i love stacking vocals and transposing for that "devil voice".
28th December 2006
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

Leslie rules for vocals.
28th December 2006
Old 28th December 2006
Gear Guru

I like to sing low and use auto-tune in a key a minor third up.....

-tINY

28th December 2006
Old 28th December 2006
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

My fav trick is "alien" background voices. Sort of in the vain of "My Boyfriend's back, hay-law,hay-law.

I get a tank of helium. I put it up next to the singers. I punch in takes every sentence or so. Most singers can suck a big breath of helium and sing for around 10 seconds. Then they need a short break so they don't pass out.

Usually they need to work alone as it's hard to syncronize 3 folks sucking gas then singing, besides, they tend to make each other laugh.

The results are like nothing else though, it really gives one a "new" voice.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
28th December 2006
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

My fav techniques happen before tracking, in particular a quality pre, compression, then EQ if needed, and of course a good pop filter(or 2). Makes life so much easier. After tracking, using bus ducking via gated compressor to keep background singers in their place relative to the lead vocalist! Also a good digital delay, using slow modulation sweep and short delay time for doubling. Not the same as overs, but a neat effect. Love the helium plug-in .

Paul
28th December 2006
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

I like to add belkanto formants and reverberation to screaming singers, depending on how baddly they scream. Listening to records they believe they really sing, and say that others can't record their voice without distortions.

28th December 2006
Old 28th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paully View Post
Also a good digital delay, using slow modulation sweep and short delay time for doubling. Not the same as overs, but a neat effect. Love the helium plug-in .
Paul, you induce trance such a way changing brain wave patterns!

I used similar tricks working for live concerts, it was a fun to see how listeners rotate heads following imaginable binaural localizarion.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search