New Reply
Subscribe
omereilam
20th June 2013
Old 20th June 2013
Gear interested

Piano recording using Avenson STO-2 in different setups

Hi all,

I recently bought a pair of Avenson STO-2 omnidirectional microphones.
I'm currently looking for an optimal positioning for getting a mostly "classical" sound out of my piano, but bear in my the the room acoustics is not ideal.
I experimented with the spaced pair recording technique trying out different distances from the piano as well as different angles.

I uploaded all of the sound samples to soundcloud and below you can read the details of the recording setups as well as look at some pictures.

https://soundcloud.com/omereilam/set...tups-for-piano

All recordings were made with a pair of Avenson STO2 omni mics
The piano is an upright Kawai K8.
The front panel was open and the lid half closed (see picture).
The mics vertical position was ~1.25m (a bit lower than the lid height).
The distance between the two mics was between 0.7m.
The horizontal distance between the mics and the piano was changed in each sample (1m, 0.5m, 0.2m, 0.05m) and is indicated in the sample file name.
Except where noted otherwise the mics were facing the hammers and angled 10 degrees towards the center so that the right mic is facing ~G6 and the left mic is facing ~G2.
In the "FacingStraight" recording the mics were positioned more closely (~0.5m from eachother) and not angled towards the center.

One last thing, sorry about the squeaky chair :-)

Looking forward to hearing comments and tips from you.

Best!
omer
Attached Thumbnails
Piano recording using Avenson STO-2 in different setups-image.jpg   Piano recording using Avenson STO-2 in different setups-image-1-.jpg   Piano recording using Avenson STO-2 in different setups-image-2-.jpg   Piano recording using Avenson STO-2 in different setups-photo.jpg  
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear nut

i think they sound great. fo realz. different flavors but all nice stuff... good job man.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search