Shootout Request: Slate VBC
Old 24th April 2013
Lives for gear

SSL Comp Shootout: Slate,UAD,NI,IK,Glue

Hi Steven, it was very understandable why you passed up on posting the GREY audio examples in the IK SSL comp thread, however it would be great if you could post here, separately, using the original track the OP used in that thread. I am already in for the VBC, purchased and ready to go but hearing more examples would help me determine how to sort out my other compressors, etc., until VBC is actually released. Thanks a lot!

p.s. if you want to include the other two comps as well, awesome
Old 24th April 2013
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Ok. I'll do it here. I'm making presets today so I'll have a chance to do it.

Cheers,
Steven
Old 24th April 2013
Lives for gear

cool - probably an idea to throw in The Glue and a hardware piece if possible...?
Old 24th April 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks man, eagerly awaiting
Old 27th April 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

If you guys would like, I could move the audio files here so that you won't have to go back and forth.

Let me know...

Thanks

Marc
Old 27th April 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
If you guys would like, I could move the audio files here so that you won't have to go back and forth.
That would be great, Marc. Thanks!
Old 27th April 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

I finally have a chance... Hahaha

Just a note...

The RMS is at 22.7db or close within .1 or.2db.
Peak was at -18 I think but, that doesn't matter as we are trying to get as close as possible to the RMS level to accurately match audio.
The Attack is 3 - Kind of shows the best of the compressor's sound with a little transients coming through.
The Release is Auto - As I find most people use this setting.
The Ratio is 4 - Good middle ground on SSL
Compression - Let's aim for both - 4db of compression and 12db of compression. That way it covers soft and hard compression.

The File Is 24bit/48k...

I put up another song as I figured that (For the people that already know the results) if they wanted to know which one is which, they would just flip the phase on the files to figure it out so,
Here is another song. More Dynamic and a little more bass heavy. EDM/Pop song Keshia type song.

I was also just thinking (Not that I do that much), if I put up all the files now, everyone will know which one is Stevens because he will put it up himself.
Maybe if he would like, send me the file so I can put it up with the rest.
That would be a fair approach to this.

Let me know if that sounds good for you Steven. PM me.

I'll post the original song now.

Here ya go.
Attached Files
File Type: wav When_I_Go_Out-Original_Mix.wav (8.26 MB, 311 views)

Last edited by M2E; 27th April 2013 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Forgot to add the settings and info...
Old 28th April 2013
Lives for gear

Cool Marc... yea either you can resort them or Steven, that's definitely a good idea. I just can't wait to hear VBC with this!
Old 29th April 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

Hey Jeezo,

Is 12db compression enough for this test?
I was thinking a 4db for the soft compression guys that want to hear the difference like this.
Then the 12db compression for the real test. Also, with the 3ms attack let's some transients through but, shows the color and compression of any unit, hardware or software. Especially at 12db compression.
I only use 4db but, sometimes use 8db for efx purposes.
Then ya got the 12db for parallel compression instances.

What do you guys think? Also, anyone have a hardware 384 G Buss or a rack mount they want to add to this shootout?

Haven't heard from Steven yet. So bare with the both of us.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 29th April 2013
Gear addict

sound good! can't wait to hear the test!
Old 29th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Jeezo,

I was thinking a 4db for the soft compression guys that want to hear the difference like this.
Then the 12db compression for the real test. Also, with the 3ms attack let's some transients through but, shows the color and compression of any unit, hardware or software. Especially at 12db compression.

What do you guys think? Also, anyone have a hardware 384 G Buss or a rack mount they want to add to this shootout?

Thanks,

Marc
This would be very extensive:

4dB with 10ms (or the 30ms mark) attack: soft/moderate compression
4dB with 3ms attack: moderate compression with focus on extreme transient handling

12dB with 10ms or 30ms attack: extreme compression
12dB with 3ms attack: extreme compression with focus on extreme transient handling

And, perhaps you could also make two sets of the above: 1 with auto release and 1 with a very fast setting
Old 29th April 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post

4dB with 3ms attack: moderate compression with focus on extreme transient handling

12dB with 3ms attack: extreme compression with focus on extreme transient handling

And, perhaps you could also make two sets of the above: 1 with auto release and 1 with a very fast setting
Sounds good too me, whatever Steven is up too doing, I'm down.

If Steven feels he doesn't have the time, and wants me too do the testing,
that's great too. Just need the plugin to do so...

Thanks,

Marc
Old 29th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds good too me, whatever Steven is up too doing, I'm down.

If Steven feels he doesn't have the time, and wants me too do the testing,
that's great too. Just need the plugin to do so...

Thanks,

Marc
Haha in that case, I'd like to do the test too Steven

But seriously, let's get this ball rolling, waiting for you Slate!
Old 29th April 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Hey Jeezo,

Thanks,

Marc
yep sounds right !!!
Old 29th April 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
yep sounds right !!!
k, I have a few sessions today but, will be checking the page.

Love to get this going ASAP!

Thanks guys,

Marc
Old 29th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranscendingM View Post

this is a good one
Old 29th April 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

The shootout will be so far..

1. IK SSL Buss Compressor w/Grit & w/o Grit
2. The Glue Buss Compressor
3. SSL Duende Buss Compressor
4. Slate VBC Buss Compressor
5. Waves SSL Buss Compressor
6. NI/Softube SSL Buss Compressor

Love to have an UAD, and hardware piece's (Old 384 or Rack SSL) to finish this off.

If you have the UAD and/or the Hardware SSL Buss Compressor or even a Smart C1.

Here are the settings that will be tested....

Test 1 - Soft Compression

Attack @ 30ms, Ratio @ 4.1 and Release @ Auto = 4db of compression via Threshold

Test 2 - Mid Compression

Attack @ 10ms, Ratio @ 4.1 and Release @ Auto = 4db Compression via Threshold

Test 3 - Hard 1 Compression

Attack @ 3ms, Ratio @ 4.1 and Release @ Auto = 12db Compression via Threshold

Test 4 - Hard 2 Compression

Attack @ 3ms, Ratio @ 4.1 and Release @ .1ms = 12db Compression via Threshold

Prime Goal is to get to 22.7 RMS level. This is the same level as the original audio above as well.

If this sounds like a good enough test for you guys and Steven then I will have time tonight to make this happen on my end. Maybe late, around 12/1am in the morning but, that's normal hours for me.

Let me know....

Thanks as always,

Marc
Old 29th April 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

The shootout will be so far..

1. IK SSL Buss Compressor w/Grit & w/o Grit
2. The Glue Buss Compressor
3. SSL Duende Buss Compressor
4. Slate VBC Buss Compressor
5. Waves SSL Buss Compressor
6. NI/Softube SSL Buss Compressor

Love to have an UAD, and hardware piece's (Old 384 or Rack SSL) to finish this off.

If you have the UAD and/or the Hardware SSL Buss Compressor or even a Smart C1.

Here are the settings that will be tested....

Test 1 - Soft Compression

Attack @ 30ms, Ratio @ 4.1 and Release @ Auto = 4db of compression via Threshold

Test 2 - Mid Compression

Attack @ 10ms, Ratio @ 4.1 and Release @ Auto = 4db Compression via Threshold

Test 3 - Hard 1 Compression

Attack @ 3ms, Ratio @ 4.1 and Release @ Auto = 12db Compression via Threshold

Test 4 - Hard 2 Compression

Attack @ 3ms, Ratio @ 4.1 and Release @ .1ms = 12db Compression via Threshold

Prime Goal is to get to 22.7 RMS level. This is the same level as the original audio above as well.

If this sounds like a good enough test for you guys and Steven then I will have time tonight to make this happen on my end. Maybe late, around 12/1am in the morning but, that's normal hours for me.

Let me know....

Thanks as always,

Marc
Old 29th April 2013
Gear addict

great!
Old 30th April 2013
Lives for gear

It's good to test all the comps listed, but I bet the IK and Slate will be the two standouts.

-SD
Old 30th April 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

lol it's gonna get ugly !
Old 30th April 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Bap View Post
Im starting to get the feeling that VBC isnt holding its own next to the other compressors. If this shootout was supposed to be done 5 days ago........ there hasnt been a peep since, and its really not that big of a deal to pull off......
i wonder if it's possible to really outshine the ik bus comp...
Still waiting
Old 30th April 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

Well, just got outta my session. Kinda glad he didn't. I had been watching but, got real busy.

Anyway, it's all up to Steven at this point unless somebody has the other hardware and/or UAD SSL Compressor.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 30th April 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicdefault View Post
It's good to test all the comps listed, but I bet the IK and Slate will be the two standouts.

-SD
I don't know. SSL's Duende is a beast!!!! It will be very hard to beat.
IK Buss Comp is great too.

Well see... Hopefully

Marc
Old 30th April 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Bap View Post
Im starting to get the feeling that VBC isnt holding its own next to the other compressors. If this shootout was supposed to be done 5 days ago........ there hasnt been a peep since, and its really not that big of a deal to pull off......
I don't know. Haven't heard anything from Steven as of yet as I'm sure he's just as busy doing the tour thing with "The Raven".

Also, trying to finish up the VBC I'm sure...

I'd be glad to put it through it's pace's as well as buy the beta if need be.
Just so we can now get this going....

Marc
Old 30th April 2013
Lives for gear

I have both a Smart C1 and a Dramastic Obsidian. Love them both. They sound completely different to one another.

This kinda thing is wholly subjective.

- c
Old 30th April 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I have both a Smart C1 and a Dramastic Obsidian. Love them both. They sound completely different to one another.

This kinda thing is wholly subjective.

- c
Hey Silver,

True, they all are completely different as we all use them in a certain way to get a certain sound we like but, we all are ear/mind tricked by the way they get to these sounds be it hardware and software.
I've found that, once you do a real RMS test, truly level match, you find out that what you thought was truly undeniable is in fact, not so undeniable and in fact can be done by another process and might be done faster and better if you open your mind to try it.
I'm not saying that you haven't already or maybe in fact you don't really care which is better as you are more comfortable with what you use but, for myself, I always keep my mind open now-a-days to seeing which is better to get the sound I want faster and just plain out better.
When I did the test between the IK Buss and Waves and SSL Duende etc, it really did open my eyes to Waves again and the IK's version.
Off hand, I just thought, nothing can't be SSL Duende's SSL version but, now I find myself using the IK a little more and I've put the Waves version back in rotation as well.
Trust me, you'll be surprise when you know for a fact something then, when you pick another product, you go what? Then you find yourself using that product confidently because now you really do know this is the better product.

It's an eye opener to say the least... I now do it to every product I buy.

Marc...
Old 30th April 2013
Lives for gear

I don't see subjectivity as trickery. But you what? I don't even know what I'm doing in this thread!

I shouldn't be here. I'm just not into shootouts --- I've never done them. I just like what I like and I use instinct exclusively. Never been one to scientifically measure things. I know that's some people's approach, but it's never been mine.

So I shouldn't even be in this thread. I was just piping in to say that I have a few SSL-ish compressors and they all sound different to me. Different in a cool way. There's no "this one beats that one" kinda sports victory mindset thing. It's art.

I can't imagine life without a Smart C1 and it sounds nothing like the software things I've heard. Its tone is quite different. And the Dramastic has a "glow" and "vibrancy" that isn't replicated by any other piece of gear I have. I don't even understand it, to be honest with you. I'm just glad it exists!

So to me, it's just a question of different textures and applications. I'm looking forward to the Slate thing because I expect it will be affordable and useful. I'm sure it will be great. But it will just be different to me. Not "dominant."

I apologize for the OT thread interruption. Carry on.

- c
Old 1st May 2013
M2E
Lives for gear

No Problem, I respect your approach. I use to be like that as well. Just go with what ya like and don't worry about what and why it does what it does. All about feel. Believe me, I get it.

I started to wonder why I wasn't getting the sound that such and such mixer was getting with the same gear (hardware/software). Or why my hardware based mixes were so much better then my ITB mixes when I went totally ITB or somewhat..
That led me to a whole new approach of actually learning why. I finally learned about the right approach to ITB mixing and how to make the most out of it.
That being said. I also realized that the software has now caught up to the hardware and in most cases, pass it.
Not saying you are doing this but, I hate it when some people say that there's no way software could compare to hardware. Man, they're all are different but, not so different that it makes someone's mixes 200% better then anyone else or makes whomever owns the most hardware the best mixer. It's just preferences, learning your gear both hardware and software and your skills which is 90% of it.

Anyway, hope ya comeback and listen to the VBC when Steven get's a chance to do this test!

Didn't mean to come off wrong in any way shape, form or fashion to you and if I did, I apologize, real talk.

Thanks,

Marc
Old 1st May 2013
Lives for gear

I have a UAD and time saturday. I think on a similar level to Silver Sonya, but these tests do get me to listen to different variations on buss compression which is a pretty good learning tool in itself.

I am also fresh off of spending a lot of time studying the impact of the 4K under different monitoring and hearing things I hadn't noticed before, good things.

No gurantee, but I will try to download this file and run it through the approved settings, and come back then to figure out how to upload.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search