Midas Venice F32, Universal Audio M610, Avalon VT-737sp, Millennia HV-3C
jcoutu1
4th March 2013
Old 4th March 2013
Gear addict

Thumbs up Midas Venice F32, Universal Audio M610, Avalon VT-737sp, Millennia HV-3C

I recently purchased a Midas Venice F32 and put it through some testing. I wasn't getting in depth, just wanted to get a bit of a feel for the preamps, EQ, and the routing with the board. I brought the board to a friends home studio and we ran a bit of testing. We set up his '64 Super Reverb 4x10 with a 57 on each speaker. The 57's each ran to a different preamp...

Midas Venice F32, Universal Audio M610, Avalon VT-737sp, Millennia HV-3C

The non-Midas preamps went into the line input of the Midas board, then through the Midas conversion into Pro Tools.

We weren't doing anything scientific or trying to get anything serious recorded, more just testing the console and hearing the different pres. I did my best to level match the pres, but nothing is exact. For the recording there was no EQ, compression, or anything else done. This is just raw audio.

We also set up a U87AI and did a couple vocal takes. Just with the Avalon and Midas. Vocals were 2 separate performances, again, nothing scientific or serious. Just to see how the Midas performed on a vocal.

Also of note, the musician performing is a drummer, not a guitarist or vocalist. Please, no performance criticisms.

The clips I'm posting are just a 34 second clip of the take that I clipped out. If you pop them into a DAW, they all start and stop at the same point, so you can hear vocal and guitar together if you want. I wasn't planning on posting these blind, but why not right?

Clips are labeled Guitar A, B, C, D. Vocal E, F. If you want to know what they are, shoot me a PM and I'll let you know. Hope you guys enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Guitar A.mp3 (1.33 MB, 911 views)
File Type: mp3 Guitar B.mp3 (1.33 MB, 639 views)
File Type: mp3 Guitar C.mp3 (1.33 MB, 595 views)
File Type: mp3 Guitar D.mp3 (1.33 MB, 508 views)
File Type: mp3 Vocal E.mp3 (1.33 MB, 621 views)
File Type: mp3 Vocal F.mp3 (1.33 MB, 557 views)
4th March 2013
Old 4th March 2013
ok, I'm not sure which ones are the midas, but here is a guess:

A. universal Audio M610
B. Millennia
C. Midas
D. Avalon
E. Midas
F. Avalon

Sending you a PM to find out if I was even remotely close - really they were all very close together and I would use any of those on a record.
jcoutu1
4th March 2013
Old 4th March 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcsteene View Post
Sending you a PM to find out if I was even remotely close - really they were all very close together and I would use any of those on a record.
I agree that they are all useable tones. I'm really happy that the Midas can hang with the others. For a little more than the price of the Millennia pair, I've got a 32 channel console and interface. Pretty good deal if you ask me.
4th March 2013
Old 4th March 2013
Lives for gear

Cool. Thanks for taking the time to do this. I have a friend looking for his first desk and I mentioned this desk to him but had not heard any clips of it in action yet. He needs something small and easy to work with with nice EQ's. Mostly for tracking. I like the fact that this desk alleviates the need for A/D/A, which means I won't get any calls asking to help wire up converters and patchbay .

Anyway, I'm not one to press the importance of scientific tests for these types of tests but I think miking separate cones makes it really difficult to tell what part the preamp is playing and what part the cone is playing in the sound. Maybe better to place all mics as near as possible on one specific cone? All cones are not made equal, IMO.

Thanks again.
jcoutu1
4th March 2013
Old 4th March 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Anyway, I'm not one to press the importance of scientific tests for these types of tests but I think miking separate cones makes it really difficult to tell what part the preamp is playing and what part the cone is playing in the sound. Maybe better to place all mics as near as possible on one specific cone? All cones are not made equal, IMO.

Thanks again.
I think this is 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. As I said, the testing was done just to get a feel for the system, not really for comparisons, but I figured that since I had the files, I might at well set it up this way.

Also, as a lot of people have said in their reviews and other threads, the EQ section is really tight (as in physical space). Your friend should try getting his hands on one of these before buying to see if he can deal with the EQ spacing. For some people, this could be a major issue.
4th March 2013
Old 4th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoutu1 View Post
I think this is 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. As I said, the testing was done just to get a feel for the system, not really for comparisons, but I figured that since I had the files, I might at well set it up this way.

Also, as a lot of people have said in their reviews and other threads, the EQ section is really tight (as in physical space). Your friend should try getting his hands on one of these before buying to see if he can deal with the EQ spacing. For some people, this could be a major issue.

Cool Beans. Thanks for the heads up on the EQ and thanks again for taking the time to post these files. It is appreciated.

Regards,

-FC
11th March 2013
Old 11th March 2013
thank you very much for the test!!! really enjoyed it!!!!!

[top])

)=)=)=)=)=)
11th March 2013
Old 11th March 2013
Gear maniac

Hi. Even though you go through the line in on the Midas
the signal will still pass the Midaspreamp.
In other words, all the external preamps get a touch of the Midas preamps.

Regards
Mike
jcoutu1
11th March 2013
Old 11th March 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBA View Post
Hi. Even though you go through the line in on the Midas
the signal will still pass the Midaspreamp.
In other words, all the external preamps get a touch of the Midas preamps.

Regards
Mike
Hmm. I was under the impression that the line input bypassed the preamp stage, but after looking at the block diagram, I see that it doesn't.

Could you just take the line out of an external preamp into the TRS insert point on the board using one of these?

Pro Co 10' IPTBQXFXM-10, 1/4" TRS to (2) XLRF/XLRM | Sweetwater.com

It seems like this would bypass the Midas preamp stage. Anyone know?
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
So, finally got my Midas Venice F32 after about 1 1/2 months of waiting. I am amazed - it sounds awesome!!! So, quickly I did a quick mix on it - 10 - 15 minutes spent on it at most. No compression used on anything. A note is that the preamps used on the recording were mostly Seventh Circle audio N72's, but the eq and summing is all Midas. Only a little reverb thrown on vocals and lead guitar parts.

I will mention like others have said that the eq is a bit hard to get to, but its something that didn't hinder me at all. Love this thing!!!
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Irregardless_Midas.mp3 (5.45 MB, 809 views)
27th March 2013
Old 27th March 2013
I think C and F are Midas. Could have been D, but not sure.
2nd April 2013
Old 2nd April 2013
Great shoot out! It's good to know that I can spend my grand on microphones or at least one decent one because the preamps hold up to the Avalon and I have 32 of em. Any good mic ideas anyone?
3rd April 2013
Old 3rd April 2013
You know I just started using the Midas on a session and the sound of the preamps is really good!! I'm really amazed at the sound quality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
jcoutu1
8th April 2013
Old 8th April 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
You know I just started using the Midas on a session and the sound of the preamps is really good!! I'm really amazed at the sound quality.

Hey Man, what DAW/OS are you using?
10th April 2013
Old 10th April 2013
I'm using Reaper on an Apple macbook pro. Works like a charm and I have not run into any issues.

21st April 2013
Old 21st April 2013
Guitar on Midas

So I had the pleasure of recording a phenomenal guitarist the other day. This recording is made with one Neumann TLM 103 about 12 inches from the hole a bit offset straight into the midas preamp. Used barely any EQ, only a bit of reduction by 1 or 2 db in the 200 hz area and threw on a bit of reverb, only slightly. The preamps really sound amazing, I am impressed and so far I am really really glad I got the midas venice f32.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Guitar 1.mp3 (5.34 MB, 502 views)
File Type: mp3 Guitar 2.mp3 (4.18 MB, 355 views)
22nd April 2013
Old 22nd April 2013
Yeah I agree with you bcsteene. I have been getting really good results with my f32 as far as the preamps go. I was up in the air on buying another pre or a mic first but with the sound if the midas pres standing up to the Avalon the way it did i went with an Atlantis FC387. Can't wait to see how but sounds when ran through the Venice.
jcoutu1
22nd April 2013
Old 22nd April 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
So I had the pleasure of recording a phenomenal guitarist the other day. This recording is made with one Neumann TLM 103 about 12 inches from the hole a bit offset straight into the midas preamp. Used barely any EQ, only a bit of reduction by 1 or 2 db in the 200 hz area and threw on a bit of reverb, only slightly. The preamps really sound amazing, I am impressed and so far I am really really glad I got the midas venice f32.
Tracks sound nice man.
25th April 2013
Old 25th April 2013
Thanks! It helps having a phenomenal musician.

29th October 2013
Old 29th October 2013
Gear nut

It's been a while now, could you post the results for all to see please?

Thanks for your hard work!
jcoutu1
29th October 2013
Old 29th October 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickrenegade View Post
It's been a while now, could you post the results for all to see please?

Thanks for your hard work!
No. Shoot me your thoughts via PM and I'll send some results.
2nd November 2013
Old 2nd November 2013
Lives for gear

I hear B and D being more colored than A and C, C sounding a bit thin with respect to A. I prefer A.

I hear E being sweeter than F. So I prefer E.

My guess just for fun because I never used any of these preamps:

A = Millenia
B = LA Audio
C = Avalon
D = Midas

E = Midas
F = Avalon

Thank you for sharing !
Please PM me how much I am wrong.
2nd November 2013
Old 2nd November 2013
Gear nut

Gonna get a midas f32 -

To be honest, I don't mind b,c,d - I really hope midas is not A - A was the only preamp i really didn't like..

I think e is midas and f is avalon though I'd like to be wrong on that one.. If you could PM me please that'd be much appreciated! Thanks for doing this..
30th January 2014
Old 30th January 2014
Gear interested

Hi everybody, at the end, could someone tell us what pres ???
jcoutu1
30th January 2014
Old 30th January 2014
Gear addict

If you PM me your guesses, I'll shoot you results. Good luck!
3 Weeks Ago
Old 3 Weeks Ago
To me the more i go down, the more dynamic it gets, on both sources. I m not a fan of A or E.

And F has more presence, to it seems a bit more alive. Maybe some high mids I don't like on E... results please !!
2 Days Ago
Old 2 Days Ago
Gear nut

A. Midas
B. avalon
C. Millenia
D.ua

E. avalon
F. Midas

Result please??
Topic:
Search this Thread