Capi vp25 vs clean
New Reply
Subscribe
Baz
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Capi vp25 vs clean

I really haven't had these CAPI's that long and haven't been doing much recording at all lately but a couple of projects have cropped up so it's time to knock some dust off. So far, all I've really used the VP25's on are vocals, e-guitar and taking the mic out of my U5 into a VP25 for times I want a larger, rounder tone, at the expense of some of the U5's punch.

On the vocals I've used it for, I've been pretty happy overall, especially when recording a thinner vocal, as as advertised, the VP25 does have a beefy sound and beefier than the VP26 from what I''ve read but overall, there isn't really any info on the 25's around here.

I find that the amount of beef it has doesn't seem to really agree with me, as far as acoustic guitar goes - and I'd say acoustic is probably something I record 50 % of the time. It's not that it's "bad" I just find it doesn't really catch as much detail as many pre's I've used in the past and this is a bit of a disappointment but admittedly, when I bought the pair, I wasn't really thinking I'd be using them for acoustic guitars but a deal for a pre that would have been perfect never came to be

Anyways, I decided to run a quick, down and dirty A/B with it against a "clean" preamp and the difference isn't subtle, like you often hear in shootouts. Sounds like 2 completely different guitars to my ears at least. There ARE aspects of the CAPI that I really like in this test, and that's namely the lower overtones but it just doesn't catch the transients the way I'd like and there's not much shimmer.

The 2 different pre's are hard panned L/R.. No EQ or compression applied.

I'm now wondering if I should have got a VP26 or 312

VP25 Vs CLEAN
"Buy good tools, with track records, not GS flavor of the day, and there isn't anything you can't cut and have pride in. The flavor of the day will or won't prove itself over time." - Dan Kennedy 08.08'
Baz
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Oh, I forgot note that the VP25 is on the L. As I was typing and listening, it was so obvious I just didn't think to make note of it.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Link didn't work for me.

Personally I like the api tone on acoustics, using 512c and vp26, with an omni condenser and sometimes a little low cut with an 550b. Makes for a very harmonic,rich, jangly tone. But tastes vary.
9th December 2013
Old 9th December 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
I really haven't had these CAPI's that long and haven't been doing much recording at all lately but a couple of projects have cropped up so it's time to knock some dust off. So far, all I've really used the VP25's on are vocals, e-guitar and taking the mic out of my U5 into a VP25 for times I want a larger, rounder tone, at the expense of some of the U5's punch.

On the vocals I've used it for, I've been pretty happy overall, especially when recording a thinner vocal, as as advertised, the VP25 does have a beefy sound and beefier than the VP26 from what I''ve read but overall, there isn't really any info on the 25's around here.

I find that the amount of beef it has doesn't seem to really agree with me, as far as acoustic guitar goes - and I'd say acoustic is probably something I record 50 % of the time. It's not that it's "bad" I just find it doesn't really catch as much detail as many pre's I've used in the past and this is a bit of a disappointment but admittedly, when I bought the pair, I wasn't really thinking I'd be using them for acoustic guitars but a deal for a pre that would have been perfect never came to be

Anyways, I decided to run a quick, down and dirty A/B with it against a "clean" preamp and the difference isn't subtle, like you often hear in shootouts. Sounds like 2 completely different guitars to my ears at least. There ARE aspects of the CAPI that I really like in this test, and that's namely the lower overtones but it just doesn't catch the transients the way I'd like and there's not much shimmer.

The 2 different pre's are hard panned L/R.. No EQ or compression applied.

I'm now wondering if I should have got a VP26 or 312

VP25 Vs CLEAN
Would you happen to have this audio file still? I mainly want to hear the beef. I want a mic pre with beef for vocals. I don't wanna spend a g on a 610 right now. So i'm interested to hear the vp 25.
Baz
15th December 2013
Old 15th December 2013
Lives for gear

I'll see if I can dig it up.Might have trashed it. There was over 300 views when i took it down so figured it was of no interest.
Baz
25th December 2013
Old 25th December 2013
Lives for gear

1st January 2014
Old 1st January 2014
Gear Head

If you have a soldering gun and about 10 seconds you could try the 'attenuator bypass mod' by moving the output tranny blue lead over to the hole that says 'Opt no t-pad blu'. To me its like taking a blanket off (the sound) and do it with all my own VP's. Sometimes I build them with a front panel switch for the bypass.
Baz
1st January 2014
Old 1st January 2014
Lives for gear

Hey thanks for that tip.I'll definitely try it on one of my 25's. Cheers
22nd February 2014
Old 22nd February 2014
Gear addict

Thank you Baz for this test! To my ears the VP25 sounds great in this recording - to my ears much better than the RME. What op amp ist installed in your VP25?
Baz
22nd February 2014
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzjoe View Post
Thank you Baz for this test! To my ears the VP25 sounds great in this recording - to my ears much better than the RME. What op amp ist installed in your VP25?
Yes, I would agree with the "better" than the RME sound. People have vehemently argued that the RME F400 pre's (Ti2500's) are "great" but I just don't hear it and find them to be totally utilitarian. Really nothing I'd want to use if I wasn't forced too. As I said in my OP, there were aspects of the CAPI that I really liked but the stuff I really want in an acoustic guitar recording weren't there and that's namely transients,depth and 3d but I'm sure others would love they way the round off the sound

I will point out that since posting this I have solved my desire for a great lean channel and got a great deal from a buddy on his SMP500. I couldn't ask for more as far as a solid clean preamp, but one that doesn't make things small like the stock RME pre's do.

my VP25's have standard gar2520's in them.
3 Weeks Ago
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Gear addict

I am thinking of ordering a VP25 (or maybe a pair) with red dots. But like the OP I'm wondering if should get a 312 (or maybe a VP26) instead.

I did'nt found much info about the VP25 but I liked the VP26 samples here but would prefer a slightly more open, natural and less compressed sound.

I have 2 free slots in my lunchbox next to a pair of Burl B1, one Burl B1D and one True Systems PT2. The Burls sound great (warm and rich) but a little soft and slow for some sources.

So would the VP25 a nice addition to my collection? And is it true that the red dots provide a little mor open and detailed sound than the gar 2520?
nms
3 Weeks Ago
Old 3 Weeks Ago
nms
Lives for gear

I've been thinking to go VP26 for reasons mentioned. I want big but detailed and not soft.
Baz
3 Weeks Ago
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Lives for gear

This is why I bought the SMP500. Very big with greater depth and detail.IMHO you don't need transformers to get a big sound.Hardy.Huge.Crane Song Flamingo.Also very large.But this Forssell is exactly what I've been waiting for in 500 format
The VP25 is very bold though but without some of the sag you can get from say a neve style mic amp.Its very fast like API
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search