Login / Register

SSL-4072 G+ Series VS. VCC, NLS and Buss Compressors!
New Reply
Subscribe
Aaron Rash
12th November 2012
Old 12th November 2012
Gear addict

SSL-4072 G+ Series VS. VCC, NLS and Buss Compressors!

Here it is... The massive shootout of an analog monster vs modern digital plugins. First let me start off by saying I was surprised how well Slate and Waves did, now lets get to business

The console: SSL 4072 G+ Series console, formerly owned by George Lucas, in fact Star Wars was mixed on this very board. It sounds beautiful. I don't feel like anything in the world can ever truly replace the feeling or sound you get sitting behind this beast. It's going to go up against the Waves NLS and the Slate VCC.

The Buss Compressors: SSL 4072 G+ Series Compressor, The Waves SSL Comp, and last but not least The Glue.

A couple of other thoughts... I feel like summing in the box is certainly possible now. However, once you start using the EQ on the real SSL vs plugins the difference becomes very apparent, especially on vocals. No plugin has the sound of a real G series EQ, there is just something truly spectacular about it. It's that sound that you've heard on all your favorite records. I've tried painstakingly to get it out of my plugins at home. I just can't get it to sound like the console. So slate give us an SSL EQ!

I included a bit of a random video of some behind the scenes footage in the studio on the console I'm using for the shootout as well as session footage of a hiphop artist im producing for and also allot of my solo project stuff. I produce and engineer my own stuff.

The Files: Includes VCC with The Glue, Waves NLS with Waves Comp, Original uncompressed ITB, and The Real Console with Real compressor. NOT IN THAT ORDER! The files are matched in level as closely as possible.

The Compressors are set at Attack 10, Release 1, Ratio 10. 4 to 5dB gain reduction.

So let's hear your thoughts! What sounds best to you and why?

Attached Files
File Type: wav Mix A.wav (2.52 MB, 1550 views) File Type: wav Mix B.wav (2.52 MB, 1208 views) File Type: wav Mix C.wav (2.52 MB, 1215 views) File Type: wav Mix D.wav (2.52 MB, 941 views)
12th November 2012
Old 12th November 2012
Gear nut

My favourite is A. Nice and breathing.
12th November 2012
Old 12th November 2012
Lives for gear

Thank you so much for this shootout!

Mix A sounds the most powerful to me.

Mix C is very nice too, softer than A, but still with a nice low end

Mix B is brighter and more hyped in the high mid/low highs. Initially, I was lured by this sound, but eventually got tired of it. :-=

Mix D needs at least 1.4 dB of gain to be in the same ballpark as the other 3. Even then, it has the weakest low end and the dullest highs. The mids aren´t all that great either. My least fave one. I enclose a file with gain +1.4 for you folks with no DAW at hand. :-)

My uneducated humble guess is that Mix A is Slate. Mix B is Waves NLS, C is SSL Hardware and D just has to be ITB

The bottom line is that for summing alone, these plugins ROCK. Slate VCC eats about one third of the Native DSP on my rig, so that alone means IT gets used... :-)
Attached Files
File Type: wav Mix D-GAIN_01-01.wav (3.93 MB, 85 views)

www.worldstudios.se
Aaron Rash
12th November 2012
Old 12th November 2012
Gear addict

I'm liking A allot myself... I'll release the results after more people chime in!
12th November 2012
Old 12th November 2012
Lives for gear

Great! I had my partner in to hear the files, and he preferred A... :-)
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Gear maniac

A is most powerfull ....
16th November 2012
Old 16th November 2012
Gear maniac

On headphones (beyer DT770 pro) they sound very similar
C sounds very "analog"
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Gear interested

A and D sound real solid. B and C sound washed out with some shift in the mids.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

"A" is the console
"B" the NLS/Waves SSL
"C" VCC/Glue
"D" ITB

Like "A" the best.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

Send a message via MSN to jordanvoth
I'll listen tomorrow, my copy of VCC should be here tomorrow and I'm interested to hear the differences between it and my summing desk. Is your console the one Slate or Waves modelled? If no, it's probably going to sound different. I'm by no means doubting what you hear and if you already own the desk with the recall and automation and if it's what you're used to working with then that's the way to go. If we compared your SSL to say Bob Clearmountains we'd probably hear some slight differences. What I'd really love to hear is the SSL that was modelled vs. The plugin. That would be a better indicator of how close some of these plugins are to their counterparts. If you're saying the plugs are very close that's about what I'd expect in a comparison to your hardware. I'll listen tomorrow and I'll get to try them as well.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
I'll listen tomorrow, my copy of VCC should be here tomorrow and I'm interested to hear the differences between it and my summing desk. Is your console the one Slate or Waves modelled? If no, it's probably going to sound different. I'm by no means doubting what you hear and if you already own the desk with the recall and automation and if it's what you're used to working with then that's the way to go. If we compared your SSL to say Bob Clearmountains we'd probably hear some slight differences. What I'd really love to hear is the SSL that was modelled vs. The plugin. That would be a better indicator of how close some of these plugins are to their counterparts. If you're saying the plugs are very close that's about what I'd expect in a comparison to your hardware. I'll listen tomorrow and I'll get to try them as well.
That would be Spike Stent's SSL then I believe....can't see anyone arranging a test like that somehow.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

I am pretty sure Steven Slate posted a few (a lot) of comparisons before the launch of VCC. Comparing his chosen ssl desk and the models of that desk side by side.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

I would very much like to hear any comparison you would be willing to make between the am summing box and some VCC instances.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
I would very much like to hear any comparison you would be willing to make between the am summing box and some VCC instances.
My summing buss is the Rascal Audio Tonebuss, it's supposedly based on Neve consoles, which one I don't know but I absolutely love the thing. It has an incredibly deep, thick bottom end. Part of it would be the fact that there are custom Carnhill's on the input and output but Joel Cameron would tell you this better than I can. I'm expecting it to be different from VCC. What I'm hoping is that they're all of equal quality to my ears and different. I don't know why but I find the Waves NLS kind of a "me too" product and I don't care. The MPX tape I really like though.
Aaron Rash
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Gear addict

Hey everyone,

The console is the same one modeled in VCC and NLS. It's a 4K G Series... I have to note though, the differences are much much more drastic than the Slate comparisons.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Rash View Post
Hey everyone,

The console is the same one modeled in VCC and NLS. It's a 4K G Series... I have to note though, the differences are much much more drastic than the Slate comparisons.
Because the Slate comparisons are comparing the actual desk modelled. Your desk is a 4k G series but not the one used to model the plugins after. I'm suggesting that there are probably some pretty substantial differences between each console. They're pretty old and complex machines.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

To me B sounds the best. I must admit this is one of the toughest comparisons I've heard. They all sound so similar. For buss compressors I think you should really be using the SSL Duende as the software compressor. It sounds more real than The Glue to me, and the Waves one sounds like shit.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by imloggedin View Post
To me B sounds the best. I must admit this is one of the toughest comparisons I've heard. They all sound so similar. For buss compressors I think you should really be using the SSL Duende as the software compressor. It sounds more real than The Glue to me, and the Waves one sounds like shit.
Both the api 2500 and the SSL comps sound horrible to me. I hate the sound of them, very hard and plastic sounding.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

Few more hours and I can have a go with this plugin.

Does anyone use it on input during tracking and then use a different setting at mix? I usually track with the Tape plugins on input and I think tonight I'm going to give it a shot with the VCC. Should be interesting. I'm also going to listen to this test and see if I can hear anything. My bet is I can't.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

My ilok is here, but apparently no licence for VCC... so I'm SOL for today for sure. My guess is another day for sure to get support.
22nd November 2012
Old 22nd November 2012
Toronto Maple Leafs fan

Found the licence in the trash folder, got it running.
Good ****ing god, the time I would save from an analog desk would pay for itself damn quick. On a 32bit machine this takes forever to load even a single instance of the plugin. Waste of time.
22nd November 2012
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

To me A sounds deeper, fuller and wider than all others and seems to have more harmonics. Next would be C, B and D
22nd November 2012
Old 22nd November 2012
Gear addict

Cool guys, keep the opinions coming! To me it's very very obvious witch one is the console but I've been working on SSL's forever. Listen to the snap, tightness, and punch. Listen for the low end!
22nd November 2012
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

How many tracks are using VCC and NLS here?
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear interested

Hi all!!

I prefer "A" then "B" and finally "C".
Sorry, I do not speak English very well.

Greetings from Argentina!
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin Mongelli View Post
Hi all!!

I prefer "A" then "B" and finally "C".
Sorry, I do not speak English very well.

Greetings from Argentina!
I'm confused, now I like more C
M2E
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
M2E
Lives for gear

Seems to me that, whatever you use, its close enough to the real thing by these examples.
I liked B, then A then C then D.

Not sure which is which. I think C is Waves.
I think D is ITB.
A & B are so close that, it doesn't really matter. B seem to have a little more bottom and a little more fullness but, I'm listening on some Sony wireless headphones so, don't quote me on these.
I will take this to the studio on Sat to give it a real listening test and then give my thoughts.

Sounds good though. Great job.

Marc

http://soundcloud.com/marc-ellus

Sorry in advance for any misspelled words, phrases or not using the right meaning/s at the right times. So get over it and back to the post at hand!!! Thanx....
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear interested

Hey everybody!
To my mind A is the best, then C, and then B. D is much worse and has wrong dynamic.
At an assessment I paid attention to dynamics preservation, transients, color,tightness, afc.

On my KRK A and B with more low end than the rest.

I agree with marchhare, probably
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
"A" is the console
"B" the NLS/Waves SSL
"C" VCC/Glue
"D" ITB.
Sergey.
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Rash View Post
Aaron, what's track played in the first part of the video?
Nice stuff, I would like to listen full one.
Aaron Rash
24th November 2012
Old 24th November 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergey.t View Post
Aaron, what's track played in the first part of the video?
Nice stuff, I would like to listen full one.

Thanks man! It's a unreleased track from a solo album I'm working on. It's funny though because when I do the indie rock thing allot of people tell me I sound like Ben Gibbard from Death Cab For Cutie.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search