Isa one digital vs api a2d
Old 16th March 2012
Gear nut

Isa one digital vs api a2d

Anyone ever have both of these units and can comment on any differences besides over $1000 and an extra pre?

I was planning on saving the $1800 for the API, But the ISA with digital is a lot cheaper and I could buy it a lot sooner.

I'm thinking maybe the api is only slightly better but mainly cost more because of the extra preamp, what do you think?
Old 26th March 2012
Gear Head

I have owned both an A2D and an ISA one at the same time and have a/b'd them on vocals. I did not have the a/d card on the ISA one however, so have no compared their conversation quality. The A2D was slightly better sounding as measured by differences I noticed in how smooth transients were (sss's and what not). Slightly smoother on the API. However, if I were to track and album and used the ISA one to punch in vocals it would have been impossible to distinguish the two. The ISA one is a great preamp and also a great solution to a lot of studio/recording needs in a little box (DI w/through, headphone, high quality a/d option). So the question might be about which features you think will be more helpful to you. They're both great units.
Old 27th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Succulence View Post
I have owned both an A2D and an ISA one at the same time and have a/b'd them on vocals. I did not have the a/d card on the ISA one however, so have no compared their conversation quality. The A2D was slightly better sounding as measured by differences I noticed in how smooth transients were (sss's and what not). Slightly smoother on the API. However, if I were to track and album and used the ISA one to punch in vocals it would have been impossible to distinguish the two. The ISA one is a great preamp and also a great solution to a lot of studio/recording needs in a little box (DI w/through, headphone, high quality a/d option). So the question might be about which features you think will be more helpful to you. They're both great units.
Thanks man, If the difference is only subtle. I'll be happy with an ISA one with digital and save a thousand bucks.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search