New Reply
Subscribe
Sarrova
17th February 2012
Old 17th February 2012
Gear maniac

1176 Compressors (oldTimer vs CLA-76)

Okay here's a comparison of 1176 compressors:
(okay actually of other compressors emulating the CLA76 )

First up are the Waves CLA-76 (Bluey here) and PSP oldTimer:
I used some fairly extreme snappy settings for the sake of the test.
If you want me to use other settings or samples feel free to let me know.
I would even want to replicate your beloved CLA-76 preset with the psp

Can you guess which is what?
For the "swithing" file: I switched every after phrase / loop so you get A B A B for the snares and A B A B for the beat

Oh btw I did have some comparable results with Cytomic The Glue if anyone's interested.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 1176 compressors - DRY.mp3 (1.05 MB, 366 views)
File Type: mp3 1176 compressors - A.mp3 (1.12 MB, 348 views)
File Type: mp3 1176 compressors - B.mp3 (1.12 MB, 281 views)
File Type: mp3 1176 compressors - Switching.mp3 (1.28 MB, 172 views)
28th February 2012
Old 28th February 2012
Lives for gear

I could be wrong but i dont think the Old timer is a 1176 style comp. If I had to guess i would say its more similar to a LA2a type of thing. Ik blackey or softtube fet would be a better comparison.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear maniac

Yeah you're absolutely right. But I was amazed how close this cheap (99$) plugin could get to the CLA which costs 300$. Okay, I have to admit the CLA still has some advantage in some other settings but I was able to get very close with the PSP. Thought it could be handy for people who didn't want to drop 300$ for the CLA (or 200 for the Softube FET) but still want the that kind of compression soundwise.
1=CLA and 2= PSP btw.
PSP's "valve" was set to clear (for a LA2A emulation I would have left it ON of course).
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrova View Post
Thought it could be handy for people who didn't want to drop 300$ for the CLA
Well, today, wouldn't want to drop $300 on the Bluey for sure. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I gather the whole CLA bundle has been going for some $200 lately (in December it was still cheaper; I got it for $170 or something)... and it contains three different comps vs. one PSP @ $99. (Well, granted, the OldTimer could also be had discounted). That said, I use both and like both, but have not really thought of them as interchangeable -- they are pretty different. The OldTimer is very neat, but it isn't an 1176; nor is the Glue; they are all of different character, even though may be perhaps made resemble each other at one or another particular setting...

Thanks for the effort though anyway.
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to diogo_c
Dude, thanks for the effort - but those 3 comps you tested have NOTHING to do with each other.

To sort things out:

1176 = CLA76, Softube FET, Stillwell The Rocket, IK Black76.

LA2A = CLA2A, IK White2A and *maybe* PSP Old Timer, "maybe" because its not a direct emulation. Some people even use Old Timer for mastering, which is not the case for a LA2A.

SSL Bus Compressor = The Glue, Waves SSL, SSL Duende.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarrova View Post
But I was amazed how close this cheap (99$) plugin could get to the CLA which costs 300$.
Why would you be amazed? Pretty much everyone agrees that The PSP Oldtimer is one of the best compressors ITB.

And the CLA is part of a bundle, so it actually works out to be cheaper.

And really, they don't sound very much like each other at all. I'm kind of confused by this whole post, really.
Sarrova
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
Dude, thanks for the effort - but those 3 comps you tested have NOTHING to do with each other.

To sort things out:

1176 = CLA76, Softube FET, Stillwell The Rocket, IK Black76.

LA2A = CLA2A, IK White2A and *maybe* PSP Old Timer, "maybe" because its not a direct emulation. Some people even use Old Timer for mastering, which is not the case for a LA2A.

SSL Bus Compressor = The Glue, Waves SSL, SSL Duende.
Yeah thanks but I actually knew that.

Okay okay I have to admit this thread was a bit strange, but I just wanted to point out that the oldTimer can do some amazing things. No more no less.
Bit of a n00b's first thread feeling right now haha, but didn't mean any harm with it. I was just feeling happy with the oldTimer.
I agree with you all that it's not an actual 1176 shootout and I'm sorry to waist your time with this
I guess this thread can be deleted.
8th March 2012
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

A blue B Old timer.
A definitely has the 1176 snappy sound IMO. B sounds more round-ish and relaxed. I don't have the Old Timer though.

Quite different flavours. Both usable!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search