Login / Register

Mic Pre Test with SM57 and Royer 101 - Chandler, API, Classic API
View Poll Results: Which sound is your favorite?
Clip 1
15 Votes - 44.12%
Clip 2
1 Votes - 2.94%
Clip 3
4 Votes - 11.76%
Clip 4
3 Votes - 8.82%
Clip 5
7 Votes - 20.59%
Clip 6
4 Votes - 11.76%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

New Reply
Subscribe
jrod9900
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunny72 View Post
You lean towards the little devil on clean? Where do you set you input gain and feedback?
I really like pushing the gain on the Devils. They really start opening up around 12 o'clock and on. On cleans I would say between 12 and 2 o'clock with the feedback around 1 o'clock. I rarely have my output past like 9 or 10 o'clock. There is so much gain in this thing.

You can get a thick driven sound or a nice warm clean sound. I really like the pre a lot. I really like the Classic API a lot too. Both are absolutely useable in many instances. I haven't tried the Classics on drums yet. I really like the Devil on snare. YOu can get whatever sound you want. I like a little drive on my snare.

JROD
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9900 View Post
I really like pushing the gain on the Devils. They really start opening up around 12 o'clock and on. On cleans I would say between 12 and 2 o'clock with the feedback around 1 o'clock. I rarely have my output past like 9 or 10 o'clock. There is so much gain in this thing.

You can get a thick driven sound or a nice warm clean sound. I really like the pre a lot. I really like the Classic API a lot too. Both are absolutely useable in many instances. I haven't tried the Classics on drums yet. I really like the Devil on snare. YOu can get whatever sound you want. I like a little drive on my snare.

JROD
I have a hunch you'll like that 26 on snare and toms!
jrod9900
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Lives for gear

Well, guess I'll have to put that on my to-do list. Just gonna be hard to take the Devil off it. LOL.
29th February 2012
Old 29th February 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via MSN to Neily
I used to have a rack full of *insert all the usual 500 series pres here*

I now have a rack full of Classic API stepped vp312s and couldn't be happier. Best pre's I've ever had... I want to get a bunch of the VP26s too as soon as I get some extra cash ... and some missing links.... I cant wait for the new EQ's to be released. Gonna buy a whack of those too!!! mmm!

Basically I want everything classic api makes...
1st March 2012
Old 1st March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9900 View Post
Gar2520

I'd like to hear the difference between it and the red dot.

JROD
Before you sell the 512's you might wanna plug a Gar into one. It could be a drastic difference.
When I first tried a Red dot in my API 212L I couldnt believe it (after a good burn in). It beat all my other pre's with the Folcrom, including JCF Lever.
Before swapping the Red dot, the stock 2520 was un usable in that application.
So I tried the red dot in 225L compressor, but didnt like it.
I think there are some Gar/Red dot comparison files in here somewhere.
jrod9900
20th March 2012
Old 20th March 2012
Lives for gear

Sweet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnmusician View Post
Before you sell the 512's you might wanna plug a Gar into one. It could be a drastic difference.
When I first tried a Red dot in my API 212L I couldnt believe it (after a good burn in). It beat all my other pre's with the Folcrom, including JCF Lever.
Before swapping the Red dot, the stock 2520 was un usable in that application.
So I tried the red dot in 225L compressor, but didnt like it.
I think there are some Gar/Red dot comparison files in here somewhere.
Cool, guess I may have to try that. I'm really thinking about a pair of the 312s. How you guys digging them? How do they compare to the VP26s and 512s? I hear they are a little smoother, more open, and a bit more high end.

JROD
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for the shootout jrod! I feel like the odd one out, because I definitely liked the chandler the best. Its so mid forward it almost sounds like its already eq'd and ready for a mix.
jrod9900
25th March 2012
Old 25th March 2012
Lives for gear

Very true. I love the Chandler on Guitars. It really helps with EQ. Its great for rock bass too. Snare. Yuuup.

It's really hard hearing something like this shootout, but it isn't in context. The mix will be a whole different story, but hey, more tools in the tool box. LOL

Glad someone appreciated it!

JROD
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Gear Head

Thank you for spending the time to do this test! Recently I've been researching mic pres quite a bit in thinking about adding to my current collection: FMR RNP and Groove Tubes Brick.

Listening to sound samples online I wasn't finding much that really impressed me until I hit upon a shootout that included the Chandler Germanium. I fell in love immediately. That's* what I wanted my preamp to do. From others' posts on the pre it sounded like it probably wasn't the best choice for my only high quality pre, so I started doing more research and fell in love with the Little Devil, in theory, before hearing it in practice. This led me to your thread.

I downloaded the samples and blindly ordered them based on my liking of the sound (disregarding the challenge of naming which was which). My 1st choice was the 57/vp26. Second choice 101/vp26. Third/fourth the standard API and decidedly in last place was the Little Devil. I know there's a lot you can do with the controls of that box, so I wouldn't write it off for the future, but based on your samples I am definitely more interested in the sound of the vp26. Sine I love DIY/soldering I've decided to pick a kit up (and probably an API 6b lunchbox to get into the 500 series game), and keep the Germanium on the radar for when the wallet is a bit more full.

I would note that I don't think your API 512s were a waste of money at all. They still sound excellent.
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitme View Post
Thank you for spending the time to do this test! Recently I've been researching mic pres quite a bit in thinking about adding to my current collection: FMR RNP and Groove Tubes Brick.

Listening to sound samples online I wasn't finding much that really impressed me until I hit upon a shootout that included the Chandler Germanium. I fell in love immediately. That's* what I wanted my preamp to do. From others' posts on the pre it sounded like it probably wasn't the best choice for my only high quality pre, so I started doing more research and fell in love with the Little Devil, in theory, before hearing it in practice. This led me to your thread.

I downloaded the samples and blindly ordered them based on my liking of the sound (disregarding the challenge of naming which was which). My 1st choice was the 57/vp26. Second choice 101/vp26. Third/fourth the standard API and decidedly in last place was the Little Devil. I know there's a lot you can do with the controls of that box, so I wouldn't write it off for the future, but based on your samples I am definitely more interested in the sound of the vp26. Sine I love DIY/soldering I've decided to pick a kit up (and probably an API 6b lunchbox to get into the 500 series game), and keep the Germanium on the radar for when the wallet is a bit more full.

I would note that I don't think your API 512s were a waste of money at all. They still sound excellent.
Try a BAE 500 series rackmount box.
jrod9900
18th April 2012
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitme View Post

Well, I'm glad you got some use out of them. I've been doing a lot of tracking lately with all my pres (along with some Shadow Hills Mono Gammas too). I was really stoked with the VP26s at first by themselves. However, I have since really learned what they do and their true sounds.

I will describe the VP26 as being very loose when compared to the others. That doesn't mean I'm saying it is good or bad. I keep going back to the Chandler for that tight, thick, and warm sound. I alos just did some reamping with the VP26s and Devils for a mix, and I ended up going with the Devils. They just dit better for this modern rock tracks. The VP26 was a little more gushy if I could use that term.

I really is just a different color to paint with. And regarding my 512s, I don't regret buying them. I have been getting a lot of use out of them. I ended up using the on some clean and light drive guitars, and they worked swimmingly. I was happy.

Now, I just need to keep adding more tools... Donations are accepted. ;-)

Jrod
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Gear interested

I though the little devil #5 sounded the best. Right away I knew #5 was the LD chandler. I was laughing when you announced the results.....
I use LDs myself so I recognized the sound. FAT and CLEAN......
1st July 2012
Old 1st July 2012
Gear maniac

I think the most amazing thing about this shootout is the fact that switching between two pres that are at least in the same family (The VP26 and the API 512) had a more drastic sonic difference (at least to my ears) than switching the mic between a $100 dynamic and a $800 ribbon.
jrod9900
1st July 2012
Old 1st July 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah, funny how that works. I always want to hate the 57, yet I use it on every record!

Jrod
2nd July 2012
Old 2nd July 2012
Gear Head

I hate to be cross-posting guy, but I'm going to be cross-posting guy. Since reading this thread I've purchased and built a vp26 and a vp312DI. I did a preamp comparison you might be interested in, including both the gar2520 and the Red Dot:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...-shootout.html

In a couple weeks I'll be adding SGA SOA 2 and Whistle Rock ML918 to the shootout.
jrod9900
2nd July 2012
Old 2nd July 2012
Lives for gear

Oh my gaaawwwwddd... We have a cross-poster!!!

Sweet, I wanna check this out. Rteally curious!

Jrod
24th July 2012
Old 24th July 2012
Gear interested

I think #1 is just quick catcher.
It accrues ear fatigue.
#4 is endlessly good for me.
jrod9900
24th July 2012
Old 24th July 2012
Lives for gear

Don't even remeber what that is. I think I know... Maybe...

JROD
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search