Shoot-out VCC/A800 Studer ON/OFF : Big alt rock mix
bwstudios
29th January 2012
Old 29th January 2012
Gear interested

Shoot-out VCC/A800 Studer ON/OFF : Big alt rock mix

Hi guys,

I am working on this cool mix, i demoed the vcc and put it on all my tracks and buses. i thought it'd be cool to share the result and I wanted to know what it was precisely doing, i bounced 3 verions :

- VCC ON / Studer ON
- VCC off / Studer off
- VCC off / Studer ON

VCC/Studer shoutoot by brainworksstudios on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I also included a file Compare 3. Download it, click on the arrow on the right. Slide it in your daw with tempo 145. the first 2 bars are both plugins on, the next 2 bars are both off and the last 2 studer on/vcc off. Because of those plugins are doing to the low end, especially the kick, i should have re-balanced the whole mix. but it didnt, dont really have the time for that. Note that oversampling was on the maximum setting on every instances. I used the 4k console.

Well, from this example, my conclusion is that those plugins are really not doing a lot... And I really pushed every single instances, whatever it is studer or vcc. The vcc is pushed always a lot in the red on the meter. And so is the studer, i always pushed until it started to sound too much.

So is it worth it to get the studer + an extra Quad card to throw the studer on all your tracks ? I don't think so. Is it worth is to buy the VCC, well i really pushed and i dont hear a whole world of difference. So i'd rather invest the money in a cool souding eq like the UAD neve. Something I can hear working.

All i can hear is that the kick is compressed less when the plugins are off and it's jumping out of the mix. And it took friggin long to set-up the plugins and the levels on every single track... not worth the time too imo.

PN : I am also interested to know what you guys are thinking of the mix with both plugins on. Any improvements ?

Cheers,
Nicolas.
30th January 2012
Old 30th January 2012
Gear nut

what it did to the drums makes it worth the time
30th January 2012
Old 30th January 2012
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

AW: Shoot-out VCC/A800 Studer ON/OFF : Big alt rock mix

My words. Everytime I mention this I get a lot of hate mails/pms even sometimes from the manufacturer.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk
30th January 2012
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

First, pretty good mix. Next, I wonder if you're driving the plugs too hard? 'Cause it sounds to me like their choking the mix. The mix 'without'(and I only listened to the full 'with/without' both plugs) sounds more open. I like VCC when it's used for subtlety. Meaning, I don't 'try' to hear what it's doing by pushing it. I usually leave the drive and input flat. Seems to sound best that way. As for the Studer, I use Digi Reel Tape Saturation(in 'Swiss' mode) and it sounds very similar to the UAD. It adds very noticeable/pleasing texture when used sparingly. If you drive it too hard, it can mangle your result...
bwstudios
31st January 2012
Old 31st January 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySoul View Post
First, pretty good mix. Next, I wonder if you're driving the plugs too hard? 'Cause it sounds to me like their choking the mix. The mix 'without'(and I only listened to the full 'with/without' both plugs) sounds more open. I like VCC when it's used for subtlety. Meaning, I don't 'try' to hear what it's doing by pushing it. I usually leave the drive and input flat. Seems to sound best that way. As for the Studer, I use Digi Reel Tape Saturation(in 'Swiss' mode) and it sounds very similar to the UAD. It adds very noticeable/pleasing texture when used sparingly. If you drive it too hard, it can mangle your result...
thanks.

well, i listened to every track soloed and tune the input/output for each. and i really tried not to go too far, but still far enough.

dunno, I'll check it again on another mix.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search