Subscribe
trustsound
30th May 2011
Old 30th May 2011
Gear nut

Fmr rnp vs p-solo (please)

There's enough threads about the titled preamp's

with no proof?

I even watched a video (about an hour long) where a guy in a studio named "ronan" compares the p-solo, the blacklion and the fmr rnp, and in this whole hour there's never any actual files.. just the guy saying the black lion and the fmr rnp are equal and the p-solo wins 100% of the time in blind tests.. with everything from vocals to hats, to random instruments..

My Request considering I'm about to drop a chunk of cash to buy one of these preamps.. is can someone that owns them please do preamp shootout for me and the hundreds of others who are about to leap into this budget. Thanks for reading. And even more thanks to anyone who can do the test..
11th June 2011
Old 11th June 2011
Lives for gear

I can't do the test as I have no P-Solo. But I do have an RNP, a Summit 221-2BA and a Focusrite ISA One and I can tell you they all hang very well together with none of them standing out as better. They are just different.

I have really liked the RNP with my ribbon microphones. Like the FMR RNC, the RNP does its thing and then gets out of the way, which I really appreciate.

I am sorry I can't give you audio files for a comparison. And you do not need to trust my opinion on the matter, but I have been very happy with the RNP. Heck, I would be happier with two more of them to fill up a single rack space tray! There is absolutely nothing wrong with the RNP and there is a lot right about it. It is a piece you would certainly hold onto for the entire time you plan to do recording because it is so useful.

I hope that is helpful to you.
trustsound
12th June 2011
Old 12th June 2011
Gear nut

thx for the reply, i always wanted one till i seen that review i ended up just getting a dmp3 because i read numerous times it holds its own against the rnp for a fraction or the price i wont know for sure till i try a rnp but ill let the forum know how it holds up against my mbox 2 pro pre's soon
13th June 2011
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

Do a search for 'DMP3 mods' or something like that. I am pretty certain JJ Audio is doing a $100 set of mods to the DMP3 that improves its performance and a number of people spoke very well of the changes. If you were going to buy one new and had an interest in this set of mods, I know other folks had their new DMP3 shipped directly to JJ Audio and thus saved one set of shipping charges. Just a thought. Good luck!
13th June 2011
Old 13th June 2011
Gear nut

Woah! I have actually been thinking between these 3 mics and by chance I read your post! I have been reading a few threads which talk about these 3 pre's individually but none which actually compare these. Could you give me a quick comparison by any chance?

I am just looking for a pre to use between my rode nt2000 and my onyx blackbird. just need a single channel for mid range clear male vox and low range husky female vox. OR possibly anything else I may use it for in the future..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffer Fish View Post
I can't do the test as I have no P-Solo. But I do have an RNP, a Summit 221-2BA and a Focusrite ISA One and I can tell you they all hang very well together with none of them standing out as better. They are just different.

I have really liked the RNP with my ribbon microphones. Like the FMR RNC, the RNP does its thing and then gets out of the way, which I really appreciate.

I am sorry I can't give you audio files for a comparison. And you do not need to trust my opinion on the matter, but I have been very happy with the RNP. Heck, I would be happier with two more of them to fill up a single rack space tray! There is absolutely nothing wrong with the RNP and there is a lot right about it. It is a piece you would certainly hold onto for the entire time you plan to do recording because it is so useful.

I hope that is helpful to you.
13th June 2011
Old 13th June 2011
Lives for gear

Of course the RNP is two channels for about the same price as a single channel of either the Summit 221-2BA or the Focusrite ISA One--that is an obvious start to this.

The RNP is clean but not sterile and it does its thing and that is it--more mic gain and nothing else. Of course that is what is is SUPPOSED to do, so that is a good thing, right? The preamp is very small, taking up only a third of a rack space. You probably know that already. It is quick, not mushy and simply reproduces the signal very well.

The summit pre is very interesting in that it will go from almost harsh clean to adding varying degrees of tube color. The impedance control is interesting and it will change up the sound, but I find that I mainly keep it dialed up the entire way.

The ISA One has an interesting subtle roll-off of high frequency material at the top end, at least that is what it sounds like compared to the other two preamps in question here. It is a GOOD darker sound though, not anything akin to muffling the sound. I attribute this to some transformer goodness as it is a very transformer typical sound. This pre is interesting in that you can vary how hard you hit the box with signal.

Both the Summit and the Focusrite preamps we are talking about have a Swiss Army Knife quality to them because you can change up how the preamp reacts in different situations.

I like them all and would be hard-pressed to decide what I would keep or get rid of if I had to choose. I love the RNP for its simplicity but incredible usefulness and great sound. I like the other preamps for their ability to change things up. I guess I use the Summit 221-2BA the most and the RNP second and the ISA One third in this collection of gear--but that is just me.

All of them are great. If any of these mic preamps were the only mic pre I had, I would use it and expect excellent results. These preamps will not get in the way of anyone trying to make good recordings. If you like to fiddle with knobs, consider the 221-2BA or the ISA One. If you want simplicity, go for the RNP.
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Gear interested

FMR v P-Solo

I have an FMR RNP and a P-Solo.

I've done a basic A/B singing on a song, using an AT4033 mic, SE filter, (upright Baby cot mattress behind me!), Mbox2 pro using line input with TRS cables, Pro Tools 8.0.3 and a Macbook.

I'm an alright baritone singer.

I sang a few verses with each Preamp, tried to match the input gain and equalled out and gain discrepancies afterwards with the gain plugin in Pro Tools to try and match the two recordings as much as possible.

For me the P-Solo sounded 'richer' and 'more professional'. It sat in the mix a bit better as well. I'm not uploading clips as I'm too busy recording and am not into major discussion on all this but whilst I like the FMR and I bought it to do stereo recordings it simply does not have the quality of the P-Solo. The FMR is great for what it is, and it's better than the Mobx2 preamps but the P-Solo takes it up a gear.

If the truth be known, I'm considering getting a second P-Solo so that I can do stereo recording and then selling the FMR. But if you think about it, the price of 2 x P-Solo's is closer to triple the price of an FMR RNP so really we shouldn't be surprised that it sounds instantly 'richer'.

Current Thomann Cyberstore price:

FMR RNP £389 (2 Channels)
P-Solo £450 (1 Channel)

2 x P-Solo's £900 (2 Channels).

It's not rocket science. FMR is great, but if you've got the money P-Solo is definately a step up and I absolutely love it. It's been the one significant item (apart from the AT4033) to transform my Microphone recordings. I haven't used it with DI yet but I'm quietly confident that it'll be the bomb!

Saying that, if you're a loud rock tenor singer who's to say that an FMR RNP won't be more pleasing to you? All I know is for what I'm doing there is a noticeable difference from one to the other.

UPDATE: I've just had another listen, the P-Solo is just awesome in comparison. There's more detail there, crispness. It more like the singer is there in the room with you when listening. Hands down P-Solo.
trustsound
27th February 2012
Old 27th February 2012
Gear nut

jazzy throw the clips up, we wont ridicule lol. I want to hear the difference. Thanks
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search