Can You Hear the Difference Between These Two Intros?
Shakabrah2
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Gear nut

Can You Hear the Difference Between These Two Intros?

HELP!
For my song "My Sunset"
Some peeps in parts of the USA hear streaming artifacts some don't. ReverbNation doesn't hear any diff, can't figure it out. Most noticeable in the guitar/vocal intro. Both uploaded 320kbps:

Clear intro - Hana & Satchwell | Facebook (first song)

Artifacts intro - My Sunset by Hana & Satchwell

When I upload to ReverbNation all is fine until about an hour later, then the stream degenerates to warble. Many re-uploads for the last 10-days and the problem will not go away.

Any ideas?
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

they both sound similarly artifact-y from where i sit.
Shakabrah2
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruberto View Post
they both sound similarly artifact-y from where i sit.
I just checked and yes, the FB site is a little artifact-y. Hmmm, it's usually crystal clear....any ideas why? The master mp3 is crystal clear...

Wonder why it sounds so goon on RN then an hour later degenerates?
20th May 2011
Old 20th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakabrah2 View Post
I just checked and yes, the FB site is a little artifact-y. Hmmm, it's usually crystal clear....any ideas why? The master mp3 is crystal clear...

Wonder why it sounds so goon on RN then an hour later degenerates?
Bandwidth costs being what they are, they re-encode everything to (i'm guessing from hearing it) 96k or maybe lower. I'll speculate that you upload your file and it goes into a queue to be re-encoded on machines that are dedicated to that task. Once your file is processed that's what winds up on your page and perhaps they just stick your original file up immediately so you get the instant gratification.

It really is a bummer. Maybe take a shot at bandcamp, I know they do 128k streams and they let you upload lossless --- which is WAY better than re-encoding a 320k mp3. Still not great but I doubt you'll get much higher anywhere else. Jen Korte & The Loss I produced this, check track #2 which is really dynamic and has some real quiet spots, as well as stuff that is most prone to sounding like crap with artifacts -- metal percussion, quiet acoustic guitar. It's pretty "shimmery" from the mp3 wringer but doesn't sound too bad, all things considered.
21st May 2011
Old 21st May 2011
Lives for gear

It occurs to me that if you upload at the exact destination format, maybe it won't get re-encoded? Hard for me to say.

An mp3 that is generated from a full-resolution wav file will sound MUCH better than an mp3 that is generated from another mp3 at any bitrate -- two rounds of lossy compression will sound terrible no matter what the bitrate is.
Shakabrah2
21st May 2011
Old 21st May 2011
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruberto View Post
It occurs to me that if you upload at the exact destination format, maybe it won't get re-encoded? Hard for me to say.

An mp3 that is generated from a full-resolution wav file will sound MUCH better than an mp3 that is generated from another mp3 at any bitrate -- two rounds of lossy compression will sound terrible no matter what the bitrate is.
RN swears that it doesn't touch the uploaded bitrate.

They also do not allow wav file uploads. *sigh*
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search