Subscribe
cooker
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Alexb console's vs Slate Digital VCC

AlexB Listening Room

You can compare sounds from this link. If needed, at the same website there are pictures of the consoles so you won't have a problem comparing which is which for Alexb products...

For people who don't know the Nebula world, Alexb is a 3.rd party library developer for Nebula. There are also other developers who has console programs as well. Search GS or visit Acustica-Audio.com to find more information if needed.

Library developers does not represent Acusticaudio officially (any Nebula customer can become a developer without any need of permission), so keep that in mind while commenting.

VCC can be found here: The Virtual Console Collection - Steven Slate Digital
Nebula can be found here: Acustica-Audio.com
Alexb's librarys for Nebula here: http://www.alessandroboschi.eu/html/...xbprograms.htm

You can find all library developer links in Acusticaudio official site/forum for further research if interested.

Have fun!
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to gbevin Send a message via MSN to gbevin Send a message via Yahoo to gbevin Send a message via Skype™ to gbevin
Interesting, but I actually don't like the sound of the CLC pro in Alex's demo and I like the sound of VCC Brit 4k. I have no idea if it's authentic or not, I just know what it does on my mixes. On this example I find the CLC sounding over-processed and I find that the VCC stays very true to the original while nicely glueing everything together and giving a smoother image. However, I bought the CLC a few days ago to be able to compare myself, I'll probably do that this weekend.
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Lives for gear

Wow just listen to the MTC. I like the sound much more than the VCC. But they are (ofc) not the same console, so the comparision isn't actually fair.

But the workflow of VCC seem interesting though...

/Jon
1st October 2010
Old 1st October 2010
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to gbevin Send a message via MSN to gbevin Send a message via Yahoo to gbevin Send a message via Skype™ to gbevin
Yeah, the MTC sounds nice indeed, was thinking of picking that up also to compare.
cooker
2nd October 2010
Old 2nd October 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

site is back again...
soulstudios
2nd October 2010
Old 2nd October 2010
soulstudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
AlexB Listening Room

You can compare sounds from this link. If needed, at the same website there are pictures of the consoles so you won't have a problem comparing which is which for Alexb products...

For people who don't know the Nebula world, Alexb is a 3.rd party library developer for Nebula. There are also other developers who has console programs as well. Search GS or visit Acustica-Audio.com to find more information if needed.

Library developers does not represent Acusticaudio officially (any Nebula customer can become a developer without any need of permission), so keep that in mind while commenting.

VCC can be found here: The Virtual Console Collection - Steven Slate Digital
Nebula can be found here: Acustica-Audio.com
Alexb's librarys for Nebula here: AlexB Nebula Programs by Alessandro Boschi

You can find all library developer links in Acusticaudio official site/forum for further research if interested.

Have fun!
For those of us not rich enough to own both, can somebody here Please post a comparitive mix using two of the equivalent VCC/Alexb programs?
Thanks,
Matt
2nd October 2010
Old 2nd October 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstudios View Post
For those of us not rich enough to own both, can somebody here Please post a comparitive mix using two of the equivalent VCC/Alexb programs?
Thanks,
Matt
That's exactly what AlexB supposedly did on his site. I'll try to get this done of the VCC Brit4k vs. AlexB CLC this weekend, not sure I'll have enough time though.
5th October 2010
Old 5th October 2010
Gear maniac

Finally did my own comparison and I'm hearing the same things I don't like about the CLC as in AlexB's demos.

More details and sound files here:
Slate VCC (in-use discussion)
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Banned

bump why doesnt anyone pay attention to these threads?
17th October 2010
Old 17th October 2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
bump why doesnt anyone pay attention to these threads?
Because people are deaf and brain washed by VCC marketing
17th October 2010
Old 17th October 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to TranscendingM
I don't think vcc sounds terrible at all, just that for the sake of what they should be on paper, it warrants a comparascent. I did some listening recently on the Trident demo at Alex's site. Granted he used Toft console but hey on paper there should be no unfair advantage there so onward. The alexb example retains or has better punch. To me though the most intersting thing is the VCC at first listen sounds like it's open or relatively more open. But when you really listen to it, the separation of high frequency transients in the instruments is so noticable in the Toft example. In the VCC example, transients and sound scape are sort of smeared together AND then it seems like there's an "artificial" boost in the high end like a digital eq high shelf. It's this "dimension" thing...
17th October 2010
Old 17th October 2010
Lives for gear

I took the time and listened to all wave files (after level matching them slightly, but it was pretty well done with a few exceptions).

First of all I found the hihat and snare to have an annoying phase problem, but that is more of a recording issue.

Overall it's great to have all consoles "in the box" and you really get a bit of the coloration from the real consoles. I say a bit as to me a real console still sounds better than VCC and AlexB, but that is not the intention of this thread.

So here is my conclusion:

The VCC plugin seems to have it's own character that shines through on any emulation it's doing. It always sounds compressed even a little squashed, narrow to me. On the other hand this very "compact" sound might be just what you need. I could see a use on parallel buss e.g..
But it sounds like a plugin after all. Like all plugins it has this "digital zszszszszszs" going on in the highs and doesn't sound open or alive like analogue.
I didn't like all of AlexB consoles, like the CLC (SSL 4k) or the Trident.
But I liked the MBC (Api) especially on kick and snare and most of all the Neves (MWC and VBC - vintage more than clean).
They do sound open, alive and analogue.

I was still irritated by that phasey hh and snare but I could hear the depth of the recording while listening to the VBC vintage and didn't here any compression or "digital zsszszszsz" if you mean what I know

So it looks like I'll continue using the stuff from Alex even if that means that I'll have to bounce like hell ... but my new pc is arriving next week and should be able to run at least 25 instances at 96kHz ... I hope
23rd October 2010
Old 23rd October 2010
Gear Head

There is a difference.

First off, I have no reason to be a fan of either producer of these plug-ins. I'm just shooting it to you straight as a producer. There's two things the VCC is doing to the signal that AlexB's programs aren't doing (simultaneously), and that's adding that warmth, but in doing so retaining dynamics. Listen carefully guys. SideCar is the one with as much warmth as vcc, but it loses dynamic range in comparison to the VCC. CLC lacks as much rich harmonic warmth. This has less to do with AlexB and more to do I think with the limitations of Nebula for certain things...certain characteristics.

In fact, this is well known within the Nebula user community and it's own company: that retaining dynamic content is NOT Nebula's strong suit. Look it up. You're getting the frequency response, but not the dynamic response. Reminds me of a shootout I did with an ifet7 in 87 mode compared to a u87. The frequency response was there, no question. But what it DIDN'T have... was the dynamic response of the k87 capsule.

I bought Nebula and the plugins. But after listening to these, I'm buying VCC asap. Your mileage will vary, but my ears can hear the difference. And that's 100% objective. Regardless, you will make great music with both. Just do whatever feels right to you.
23rd October 2010
Old 23rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Well, had a good laugh reading through all this. Thanks for the thread, OP.
8th February 2011
Old 8th February 2011
Gear nut

Updated opinions?
\
8th February 2011
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to TranscendingM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthetruth View Post
...In fact, this is well known within the Nebula user community and it's own company: that retaining dynamic content is NOT Nebula's strong suit... .
You've misunderstood. It retains dynamic content of frequency changes, phase responses, harmonic content, distortions, etc very well indeed. The amount of "random" variables Volterra Kernel processing is capable of is part of its uniqueness. It's not a question of dynamic content but of dynamic control itself; it's the last addition of actual accurate peak or actual signal compression of the dynamic behavior. Which is why when you use Nebula your transients are not mangled or anything - which isn't al lthat bad afterall. But at any rate, it's come a long way! Compression alone, as in the nebula compressors for example, are sounding wonderful and it's only getting better. Before you know it, this compression charactersitic will join the final stage of representing the analog counterpart in all aspects.
8th February 2011
Old 8th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morten View Post
Updated opinions?
\
at least within these examples VVC 4k and VVC Brit sound like shit. VVC USA sounds good in itself, very workable. maybe it's missing the detail of the nebula consoles.

the nebulized consoles all have their strengths and weaknesses like probably their hardware counterparts... i like the VBC and also the MTC which sounds much better then in the old samples where the stereo panorama was somehow messed up.
21st April 2011
Old 21st April 2011
Gear maniac

I listen to these and compared in my daw. To be honest it was a WOW moment when I listed to the slate ones. They sounded pretty bad compared to the other consoles!

I guess it's subjective but they were very very different sounding (not in a good way).
22nd August 2012
Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

This is kinda unfair because it CLEARLY states AlexB was eqed too

soiuhifusdhifsudhsi Eitherway i want that MTC! ASAP lolllllllllllllllllll
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search