Login / Register

Anyone else using sahiaman's little blondie mic?
New Reply
Subscribe
audiostout
3rd June 2009
Old 3rd June 2009
Gear addict

Anyone else using sahiaman's little blondie mic?

So who else is using this sweet mic? What sources are you using it on?

Today my professor and I mic'ed up a cello and we had pick our jaws up from the floor. I'm consistently getting huge sounds from it. For those that don't know, there is a person on the more free stuff thread that makes these compact mics called the little blondie, and he has gave away a few also. I've been pretty much addicted to this mic since I got it. It is thus far my favorite mic on a guitar cab, and one of my favorites on acoustic. I've been getting some huge sounds with it and the acoustic guitar doesn't sound shrill or harsh.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Brittone.mp3 (626.8 KB, 4489 views)
File Type: mp3 RockTone.mp3 (470.8 KB, 3943 views)
3rd June 2009
Old 3rd June 2009
Lives for gear

Nice, any clips of the cello you could share?

Also, any more direct info concerning the mic would be great.
4th June 2009
Old 4th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiostout View Post
So who else is using this sweet mic? What sources are you using it on?

Today my professor and I mic'ed up a cello and we had pick our jaws up from the floor. I'm consistently getting huge sounds from it. For those that don't know, there is a person on the more free stuff thread that makes these compact mics called the little blondie, and he has gave away a few also. I've been pretty much addicted to this mic since I got it. It is thus far my favorite mic on a guitar cab, and one of my favorites on acoustic. I've been getting some huge sounds with it and the acoustic guitar doesn't sound shrill or harsh.
Cool tones. Please elaborate on placement and channel strip setting!

Try it on acoustic over the shoulder, drum snare mic, lowfi drum room mic through a comp, and wedged in a piece of foam under an upright. That's where it shines for me thus far.

I'll try it on cello this weekend, hadn't even thought of that! Anyone else?

Strewnshank Youtube Page
Strewnshank.com
presskit.to/strewnshank
4th June 2009
Old 4th June 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to dpianomn
i've got a stereo pair...sahiaman's a cool guy!
audiostout
4th June 2009
Old 4th June 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by strewnshank View Post
Cool tones. Please elaborate on placement and channel strip setting!

Try it on acoustic over the shoulder, drum snare mic, lowfi drum room mic through a comp, and wedged in a piece of foam under an upright. That's where it shines for me thus far.

I'll try it on cello this weekend, hadn't even thought of that! Anyone else?
The guitar was recorded through my trusty rocktron amp. But it's a 12 inch speaker and I mic it about 2-4 inches away. I just dialed in the tone, plugged in a cheapo tele and rocked it out. The only eq'ing i did was on the amp itself.

The heavy clip I closed mic and played the guitar twice and panned it left and right.

I'm going to try it on a banjo soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisc_o View Post
Nice, any clips of the cello you could share?

Also, any more direct info concerning the mic would be great.
I can't share the cello clip cause i don't have that session with me, i wish i had it. I'll try and get it though.
4th June 2009
Old 4th June 2009
Lives for gear

I've got one. Awesome mic! I've been meaning to post some clips for a while. I'll see if I can make that happen in the next couple days. The guy who makes these is also an incredible human being who is very charitable so you money is well spent.

Tube information and sales: ProAudioTubes@aol.com
4th June 2009
Old 4th June 2009
Lives for gear

Where do you find these mics?
audiostout
4th June 2009
Old 4th June 2009
Gear addict

4th June 2009
Old 4th June 2009
Gear maniac

i got one ... one of my favorite mics.... my go to mic for almost anything... i love it every one always loves it
5th June 2009
Old 5th June 2009
Gear maniac

I have two. They just sound right on acoustic guitars, they are quickly becoming my go to mic. He is also a great person who sent me an sm7b as a gift!
5th June 2009
Old 5th June 2009
Lives for gear

I bought one a month ago but have been too busy mixing to even plug it in yet.
I'll be done soon and then start a project with a Santa Cruz guitar - Sahiaman states it was designed with that in mind so i've got hi hopes. It's good to see the positive reviews though.
5th June 2009
Old 5th June 2009
Gear maniac

has any of you used the 3 mic setup he recommends on drums? since i only have two i never got the chance to try it, but i heard some massive sounding clips.
6th June 2009
Old 6th June 2009
Gear interested

Those clips sounds fantastic!!! Does anyone have any pictures of this mic? How much $$$? VERY interested to buy one..
6th June 2009
Old 6th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOWIE View Post
The guy who makes these is also an incredible human being who is very charitable so your money is well spent.
This is the truth, folks.

Sahiaman is constantly helping others.

thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
6th June 2009
Old 6th June 2009
Lives for gear

Pics?
audiostout
6th June 2009
Old 6th June 2009
Gear addict

It's a non branded mic, there is no writing on it, they were originally made for himself for a specific application. I guess when he worked on sessions and pulled them out at studios around him, others started to ask for them. And it kind of snowballed for him. They are compact mics, meaning little, think end of an xlr little. If you want a mic that looks cool then this isn't a mic for you. But if you want a mic which you will end up using on more sessions than you can imagine then get it. He even will let you send it back if you it doesn't work out for you. And priced to where he doesn't make much on them if any money. He just does it to be nice. At $85 it's a no brainer.

Just pm him.
audiostout
6th June 2009
Old 6th June 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBassPlayer View Post
has any of you used the 3 mic setup he recommends on drums? since i only have two i never got the chance to try it, but i heard some massive sounding clips.

After you posted this I asked him about that. Holy crap did the drums sound good. 3 mic set up, I'll be trying that tonight on my friends drum set and post some files.
11th June 2009
Old 11th June 2009
Gear maniac

Great tones. Anyone have samples of acoustic instruments?
12th June 2009
Old 12th June 2009
Gear nut

I've got two of the mics. I use them for a lot of things, but my absolute favorite is the acoustic guitar. They destroy anything I've heard that isn't insanely expensive. I'll dig out a few clips, but you are better of asking him since he is a hell of guitar player and has some recordings with high end preamps.
12th June 2009
Old 12th June 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I pm'ed him

Hoep I can get one of these bad boys. Matched pair actually.
12th June 2009
Old 12th June 2009
Gear nut

12th June 2009
Old 12th June 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

That sounds amazing.

But I think it's proper mic placement as much as mic quality

still want a pair!

He's going to come on to loads of demand, does he have many made? Does he make each one by hand?
16th June 2009
Old 16th June 2009
Gear maniac

Okay folks. So I received my microphone and wanted to post some thoughts on it. Frankly, I was expecting more of a microphone when I got it. I really didn't think it would be this little. Infact, it was downright ugly looking and I was very pessimistic about it....that is, until I plugged it in.

A series of "Wow's" was my first sonic reaction to it. I wasn't expecting this mic would capture such a huge sound. It's a natural sound and balanced without any harshness with extremely low self noise.

The first thing I did with it was put it on a mandolin. Not just any mandolin, but one that I've had which I can only get to sound musical using high end mics. I mic'ed up the mandolin about 5 inches off body into an Avalon vt737sp channel strip, Lynx Aurora 16 converters. The minute I plucked the string, it sound like someone else posted, "right". No brittle sound, but very delicate, and balanced in tone. I captured what I was looking for right away when recording an acoustic instrument. If you know what a mandolin should sound like raw, this would be a perfect example. I'll post a clip of it for you all the hear.

I also put it on an acoustic and it totally nailed the sound and captured a wonderful lush sound. Especially the strumming which can get to 'clicky' if done with the wrong mic.

Next up I put it on a drum set. Since I only bought one mic I put it on top of the snare, about 3 feet high to function as an overhead mic. I recorded a few passages with the same signal chain. When I got back to the control room and heard the sound from this little guy I was floored at how huge and smooth it sounded and what a great job it did in capturing the set. The problem with low end mics is that they sound brittle and harsh on the cymbols, many of them can't take care of the high frequncies, but this little mic did a fantastic job. Even though this mic is inexpensive, I won't be calling this a low end mic. I'll post a clip so you can judge for yourself.

Judging from the sound of the microphone, I'm going to be putting it on a horn section later this week. It just has a right tonal quality where it begs to be put on sources like that. I'll post those results also.

Oh by the way, I was having trouble finding a clip it would fit in, but then I remembered I had one of those vintage aligator type mic clips that use to come with the old akg pencil mics. That clip just clamped on to it and got the job done. I also looked around the studio and found one shock mount which would work well for the mic. So I'll be getting a few more of those mounts now.

I've ordered 2 more and I can see this microphone being a workhorse microphone which is going to have a very long life in my studio. Hell of a great mic.

EDIT: One more thing I would like to add if you guys are curious, the drum set is a Tama Star Classic.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 blondieman.mp3 (533.3 KB, 3905 views)
File Type: mp3 BlondieOH.mp3 (1.02 MB, 3900 views)
audiostout
17th June 2009
Old 17th June 2009
Gear addict

Nice. That's why I can't live without this mic. I got myself 3 also now.
17th June 2009
Old 17th June 2009
Gear addict

I love the sound of every new sample someone posts using this mic. It just seems to have the right vibe. Natural but not too natural, if you know what I mean.
17th June 2009
Old 17th June 2009
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by EqnoixStudios View Post
Okay folks. So I received my microphone and wanted to post some thoughts on it. Frankly, I was expecting more of a microphone when I got it. I really didn't think it would be this little. Infact, it was downright ugly looking and I was very pessimistic about it....that is, until I plugged it in.
Not that aesthetics matter at all, but I'm really curious to see what this mic looks like. Can you post some pics? From what everyone's saying, sounds like a sweet mic.
bee
17th June 2009
Old 17th June 2009
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
Pics?
I'd like to see what this mic looks like too... those clips sound great.
bee
17th June 2009
Old 17th June 2009
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonrichter View Post
I love the sound of every new sample someone posts using this mic. It just seems to have the right vibe. Natural but not too natural, if you know what I mean.
Agreed, If anyone has anymore samples, please post them!thumbsup
17th June 2009
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Agreed, If anyone has anymore samples, please post them!thumbsup
In the works. If anyone can tell me how to get my sound-file onto the internet, it would be greatly appreciated.
17th June 2009
Old 17th June 2009
Gear maniac

I might just be in love with this mic like the other posters above. I took the liberty to do a couple quick clips* with two popular lower end mics I had laying around, mk 012 stock, and gt33 stock so you guys can compare it to my mandolin clip a couple posts above.

You can clearly hear in these clips why I don't like low end mics on acoustic sources, they sound cloudy and harsh compared to the blondie mic where it sounds lush and has a good 3d image. I think this deserves to go against my higher end sdc's this weekend.

*different performances.

I'll attach a picture also. The little gold looking thing is the blondie.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone else using sahiaman's little blondie mic?-33134031a.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 oktavamk012man.mp3 (548.4 KB, 2338 views)
File Type: mp3 GrooveTubesGT33man.mp3 (529.0 KB, 1977 views)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search