Found: Lavry Gold AD122-96MKIII vs. Apogee AD-16x
space2012
23rd April 2009
Old 23rd April 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Arrow Found: Lavry Gold AD122-96MKIII vs. Apogee AD-16x

5th May 2009
Old 5th May 2009
Gear nut

I dont think this is a real test, because the mixing is different between the tracks.. The panning is so different..
space2012
5th May 2009
Old 5th May 2009

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilopio View Post
I dont think this is a real test, because the mixing is different between the tracks.. The panning is so different..
you can send/write a pritave message/email to the creator of those clips, telling what you think, asking for photos or new clips.
and RMAA loop tests, maybe its a defective unit.
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/members/huarez
http://audio.rightmark.org
25th May 2009
Old 25th May 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilopio View Post

All miking , pre´s, volume settings the same, two times recorded ( I wanted to see how much a converter affects the real studio work ) . When there is the impression of different panning, it´s due to the converter. Panning is: git L, git R, Drums L + R (just OH´s in short AB) Bass Center. I put up the mic, played the tune , and then swapped the converter out and played the tune again.
26th May 2009
Old 26th May 2009
Lives for gear

The panning is different, or the cabling is wrong. There is no way a converter affects the panning that much.

And the Lavry is much better converter, full stop. The test is flawed.
space2012
26th May 2009
Old 26th May 2009

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
The panning is different, or the cabling is wrong. There is no way a converter affects the panning that much.

And the Lavry is much better converter, full stop. The test is flawed.
why is much better converter ?
who told you so?
the price tag?
do you have one?

use a consumer clock from DVD/VHS combo, spdif
the wordclock does affect.
27th May 2009
Old 27th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2012 View Post
why is much better converter ?
who told you so?
the price tag?
do you have one?

use a consumer clock from DVD/VHS combo, spdif
the wordclock does affect.
Yes I own the Lavry gold MKIII and the Prism ADA-X8. Where I use to work had the apogees and they are not in the same league. They are good for recording, but not mastering grade.

It's seems that you are the one forming opinions about converters without actually owning or hearing them yourself.
space2012
27th May 2009
Old 27th May 2009

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
Yes I own the Lavry gold MKIII and the Prism ADA-X8. Where I use to work had the apogees and they are not in the same league. They are good for recording, but not mastering grade.

It's seems that you are the one forming opinions about converters without actually owning or hearing them yourself.
why dont you make a converter test ?

start with software like
RMAA
then move to loop tests,
and exact recordings.
29th May 2009
Old 29th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2012 View Post
why dont you make a converter test ?

start with software like
RMAA
then move to loop tests,
and exact recordings.
I just use the Crookwood to change converters, record them into Sequoia, then have another person do the switching so it's blind testing.
29th May 2009
Old 29th May 2009
Gear Head

i know it is out of topic but i wanna ask anyway.. Why i don't see the big diffrence ? Because of i use creative 2+1 speakers which is worth of 15$ ??
space2012
30th May 2009
Old 30th May 2009

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by davulzade View Post
i know it is out of topic but i wanna ask anyway.. Why i don't see the big diffrence ? Because of i use creative 2+1 speakers which is worth of 15$ ??
i hear the diference in laptop speakers from compaq presario v3000.
3rd August 2009
Old 3rd August 2009
Lives for gear

You get a guitar comming on the right in the apogee track that doesnt appear on the other one...that to say...apogee sounds better...IMO.
3rd August 2009
Old 3rd August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davulzade View Post
Great post I might add!

What Davulzade said is so true..... Here we all are, bickering over the best quality equipment when the whole music gets dumbed down to an mp3 and computer speakers... hahahaha.

I love my cheap computer speakers (don't know the brand)! Playing computer games on them with the subwoofer...... I daresay the MM27's wouldn't do such a great job! hahaha
tekis
4th September 2009
Old 4th September 2009
tekis

Yes, stuff gets "dumbed down to an Mp3 on laptop speakers," but...

...all the more reason to try and make things sound better. No?
22nd September 2009
Old 22nd September 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meymia View Post
You get a guitar comming on the right in the apogee track that doesnt appear on the other one...that to say...apogee sounds better...IMO.
Just to say it again: This is NOT 2 Times the same Track, it´s the same tune played two times , leaving everything the same but swapping the converters. I wannted to check if you can hear the difference in normal studio work. I tried hard to play the same and with the same levels. ( I stayed with the apoggees)
25th May 2013
Old 25th May 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by huarez View Post
Just to say it again: This is NOT 2 Times the same Track, it´s the same tune played two times , leaving everything the same but swapping the converters. I wannted to check if you can hear the difference in normal studio work. I tried hard to play the same and with the same levels. ( I stayed with the apoggees)
That makes no sense whatsoever. There's no way to compare something as subtle as converters on two wildly different performances! Why didn't you just run the same pre-recorded mix through the converters? The converters don't care if the voltage running through a circuit has already been recorded or not. Voltage is voltage. This is not an appropriate test or a competent approximation of "normal studio work" at all. Shootout Fail.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search