Login / Register

Why aren't there more music apps for Android?
New Reply
Subscribe
benherron.rrr
30th March 2012
Old 30th March 2012
Gear maniac

Why aren't there more music apps for Android?

The question is self explanatory really.

I love my galaxy nexus and because Android is Google I love how the os is completely integrated into my day to day workflow. That and I've never gotten on well with apple. I use a windows system simply because I prefer it and I find that the android platform is better suited for Windows then the Iphone/ Ipad is.

I wish developers would get on board with android, I would love to see an android version of Vcontrol and all the other cool little apps apple users get. It feels like we are being discriminated against by not following the shiny revolution.
31st March 2012
Old 31st March 2012
Gear addict

totally agree man. I used to work for a cell phone company and I never quite could jump on board the android platform simply because the music app support SUUUUCKED.

moog, line 6, IK, to name a few make killer apps for the itunes store.. but nothing in android land.

with that said I use a blackberry.. haha
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Banned

Thanks for the shout out on us making cool music apps. We'd LOVE to make an Android app like AmpliTube or SampleTank, but latency on Android isn't up to par yet. Not only for us, but for any real time music creation. We even had a full Android development team ready and waiting, but we are still waiting on Google to update with better latency and MIDI support.
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Gear nut

If you really want to take advantage of iOS and the great musical apps, you can just buy an iPod Touch for 200$ (or cheaper 2nd hand).

I can understand why you prefer Android over iOS for day to day smartphone use in a Windows environment. But if it's only for musical apps you don't even need a PC to get everything working.

An iPad would be even better, if you're willing to spend the cash.. But once you grab a few cool apps, you'll forget the price you paid for an iPad in no time.

Korg iMS-20, iElectribe, Animoog, Reactable, Amplitube.. are just a few apps that really make your iPad worth it's money.. Especially with peripherals like the IK Multimedia iRig and iRig midi..Or even the Korg MS-20 controller and the camera connection kit for iMS-20
And an iPad can also run iPhone/iPod Touch apps.. So Korg's iElectribe can also be played on the iPad

I've been using my wife's iPad 1 for a long time, but she recently sold it. I'm saving for the new iPad for myself now, because i know it's worth the investment. Too bad that Applestores only fill up their iPads with stupid games for potential buyers, musicians really can't see the great use for an iOS-device until they've tried it theirselves.

I know better tablets/phones for e-mailing and browsing, but musicwise iOS is (and will probably stay for a while) the go-to mobile OS.
5th April 2012
Old 5th April 2012
Banned

Exactly! Thanks for the kind words about our apps and accessories!
benherron.rrr
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK View Post
Thanks for the shout out on us making cool music apps. We'd LOVE to make an Android app like AmpliTube or SampleTank, but latency on Android isn't up to par yet. Not only for us, but for any real time music creation. We even had a full Android development team ready and waiting, but we are still waiting on Google to update with better latency and MIDI support.
That's a really great explanation, thanks!

I never thought that it may be a software/hardware issue. I'd really love to plug a guitar into a portable device and start messing a round with ideas on the fly.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Gearslutz App
11th April 2012
Old 11th April 2012
Banned

Anytime, for now if you want to plug your guitar or bass into a portable device you can fit in your pocket, play angry birds and make video calls - its going to be an iOS device with an AmpliTube iRig.

Hopefully one day we'll be on Android!
22nd April 2012
Old 22nd April 2012
Gear nut

There's a bit of an online campaign/petition to get Google to add support for usb audio devices. That would rock! I don't have the link to hand...
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Banned

Yeah there are also a few people trying to write their own code to it to bypass the OS apparently. I don't have details on that either, but it just seems easier to wait.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search