New Reply
Subscribe
MediaMix
25th December 2011
Old 25th December 2011
MediaMix

Apple's New "Weeks Long" Battery

Apple Hydrogen Fuel Cell Battery Plans Revealed

Apple is planning to make devices powered by hydrogen fuel cells, according to patent applications published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.

The plans could create computers and phones with weeks-long battery power. It would also make the devices lighter and less bulky.

According to the Telegraph, hydrogen fuel cells work by converting hydrogen and oxygen into water and electrical energy. This technology is already being explored for cars and the military.

"Our country's continuing reliance on fossil fuels has forced our government to maintain complicated political and military relationships with unstable governments in the Middle East, and has also exposed our coastlines and our citizens to the associated hazards of offshore drilling," reads the patent application. "These problems have led to an increasing awareness and desire on the part of consumers to promote and use renewable energy sources."

This won't come as much of a surprise to those who follow Apple closely. The company has filed several other patent applications for similar technology, as reported by Apple Insider in October.
3rd January 2012
Old 3rd January 2012
Lives for gear

And I hope the patent is rejected as anyone wanting to power a device (depending on how a "device" is defined) would have to pay Apple a license fee.

This tech was invented by a German way back in the 1850’s (from memory), its so simple. I guess the people who rule our world decided many years ago to ignore it and continue using other fuels.

3rd January 2012
Old 3rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
And I hope the patent is rejected as anyone wanting to power a device (depending on how a "device" is defined) would have to pay Apple a license fee.
You don't want a battery that can work for weeks because you don't want the person that invented it to get what they deserve?

Is this an Anti-Apple thing or an Anti-Technology Advancement thing?
3rd January 2012
Old 3rd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
You don't want a battery that can work for weeks because you don't want the person that invented it to get what they deserve?

Is this an Anti-Apple thing or an Anti-Technology Advancement thing?
No I mean if Apple manage to patent this then no one else can use it (thats an Anti Tech move - not me)
MediaMix
3rd January 2012
Old 3rd January 2012
MediaMix

Quote:
No I mean if Apple manage to patent this then no one else can use it (thats an Anti Tech move - not me)
I don't think that's accurate. This is something revolutionary coming to the market. The idea may not be revolutionary but it will be the first on the market. Apple will make tons more $ letting everyone use this product. Apple will have their normal one year apple-only but after that. People use Firewire on PCs and never complain about having to pay apple.
TRA
3rd January 2012
Old 3rd January 2012
TRA
Lives for gear

Quote:

This tech was invented by a German way back in the 1850’s (from memory), its so simple. I guess the people who rule our world decided many years ago to ignore it and continue using other fuels.
So Apple should spend time and money to develop their implementation of this technology only for it to be copied, for free, by other tech companies? I call bullsh&t.

4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaMix View Post
Apple Hydrogen Fuel Cell Battery Plans Revealed

According to the Telegraph, hydrogen fuel cells work by converting hydrogen and oxygen into water and electrical energy. This technology is already being explored for cars and the military.
The Patent and Trademark Office still use Telegraph?

What's your iPhone going to do with the water it produces?
At least one of the two largest corporations in the world are investigating alternative energy.
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Actually, they probably will never use the patent. Just wait and sue whoever does.
MediaMix
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
MediaMix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterybit View Post
The Patent and Trademark Office still use Telegraph?.
For those who do not know what the Telegraph is Apple plots smartphones powered by hydrogen - Telegraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterybit View Post
Actually, they probably will never use the patent. Just wait and sue whoever does.
Yep. That's what apple does. Sit on patents. That's how they have amassed that fortune.
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

It's a shame people would rather focus on Apple hate than the fact of a "week's long battery" for consumers. Who cares who makes the battery, it's a good thing.
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Sorry, don't follow UK press as I'm sure you don't read the Tennessean.
Not hating on apple but they have been in patent wars with samsung and htc, among others for the last few years.
They won more patents last year than 3M.
Posted from my MacBook Pro
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Is no one else not a bit worried about the prospect of walking around and having goddam HYDROGEN in your pocket?

I mean, when their iphones / ipads over heat they cause fires. So throw in some hydrogen into the mix for good measure..... BOOM!

There will be body parts everywhere!
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrum View Post
Is no one else not a bit worried about the prospect of walking around and having goddam HYDROGEN in your pocket?

I mean, when their iphones / ipads over heat they cause fires. So throw in some hydrogen into the mix for good measure..... BOOM!

There will be body parts everywhere!
A small amount of hydrogen in your pocket is no more dangerous than what is currently in batteries, acid, lithium etc. and if your iphone was hot enough to ignite hydrogen it wouldn't be in your pocket anyway. Then an explosion from some hydrogen the size of an iphone battery wouldn't be that big (probably the energy released would only be about what it takes to power an iphone for a week )

So what is this tech from the 1850's anyway? I'm guessing burning hydrogen? Because if it is, then I highly doubt that apple is planning on us having little hydrogen fired combustion engines in our iphones.. Sounds like someone has been buying into a few too many conspiracy theories.

matt
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRA View Post
So Apple should spend time and money to develop their implementation of this technology only for it to be copied, for free, by other tech companies? I call bullsh&t.
Its not there technology, it belongs to s clever German from 1850 (I would think) but then again who knows, I guess applying for the patent is the only way to find out if its the case.

But look at the comments on this forum, Apple haters people shout, what for been honest. Patents are valuable and big comps know it and care little for the enviroment, even the Green ones.
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
So what is this tech from the 1850's anyway? I'm guessing burning hydrogen? Because if it is, then I highly doubt that apple is planning on us having little hydrogen fired combustion engines in our iphones.. Sounds like someone has been buying into a few too many conspiracy theories.

matt
A fuel cell is a device that converts the chemical energy from a fuel into electricity through a chemical reaction. Apple are going to use H. This was first invented in 1938 (I just checked wiki).

But peps have already done it, so like I originally said, I hope Apple do not get the patent if it is free else that will stop technological development:

Here is one I made earlier?

UPSS Hymera QTE - YouTube!
4th January 2012
Old 4th January 2012

Quote:
A fuel cell is a device that converts the chemical energy from a fuel into electricity through a chemical reaction. Apple are going to use H. This was first invented in 1938 (I just checked wiki).

But peps have already done it, so like I originally said, I hope Apple do not get the patent if it is free else that will stop technological development:

Here is one I made earlier?

UPSS Hymera QTE - YouTube!
I see (although I think you mean 1839). Fuel cells are already widely used, apple won't be patenting the general idea of a fuel cell, but rather an implementation of it (or something similar or even entirely different). The fact that there is a wikipedia page about them I would say alone is enough evidence that they are public knowledge.

matt
5th January 2012
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
I see (although I think you mean 1839). Fuel cells are already widely used, apple won't be patenting the general idea of a fuel cell, but rather an implementation of it (or something similar or even entirely different). The fact that there is a wikipedia page about them I would say alone is enough evidence that they are public knowledge.

matt
True..

Found this today, related to patents been bought...

BBC News - Google adds IBM patents as it looks to future
24th January 2012
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Head

I hope they will be backwards compatible with today's Apple products.
7th February 2012
Old 7th February 2012
Gear interested

The sooner they bring thes out, the better.
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Gear Head

I do not see this happening for the next 5-10 years as in order to use water efficiently you need an external power source to push the water through a protone exchange membrane (PEM), The PEM is the heart of this "new-old" idea . The PEM is an advance Polymer material developed first by Mercedez Benz on a large scale prototype at the beginning of the 90s (the project is dead now). However the principle of a solid fuel cell was invented by General Electric who were the first to actually make money out this very very expensive technology ( see NASA Gemini). An efficient PEM costs about 10 to 12 times more than a Mac Pro.....Still 5-10 years is not that bad after all..
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

My dumb phone already lasts a week and a half on one charge :P
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodnb View Post
My dumb phone already lasts a week and a half on one charge :P
What phone is that? I need one of those.
16th February 2012
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundesign View Post
I hope they will be backwards compatible with today's Apple products.
I hope so too. I also hope that they work with older products too. Would be nice to have one of those batteries though, kinda pissed off with the 3-4 hour battery life I'm getting out of my MBP

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search