Gear maniac

iPOD HiFi...

28th February 2006
Old 28th February 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by andredb
http://www.apple.com/ipodhifi/

I wonder who is behind the design.... bose? cambridge? duntech?? adam??
Isn't this kind of silly? I mean, the sound is coming from an ipod that plays mp3s which are not "hi-fi."
28th February 2006
Old 28th February 2006
Gear addict

So this is the big deal iPod announced? Seems pretty silly to me. Alot of 3rd parties already make deals like this. I guess the iPod freaks must get this now. Man... iPod was 78% of all mp3 players sold in Jan 06.
28th February 2006
Old 28th February 2006
Lives for gear

But I must admit that I feel kind of tempted to listen to and perhaps buy one for the upcoming beach party season
28th February 2006
Old 28th February 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman
Isn't this kind of silly? I mean, the sound is coming from an ipod that plays mp3s which are not "hi-fi."
iPod can play full cd quality sound!
when importing cd`s, you don`t need to compress em at all...

KK
28th February 2006
Old 28th February 2006
Gear Head

You could get a pair of them for use as studio monitor
GPl
28th February 2006
Old 28th February 2006
GPl
Lives for gear

Shouldn't this be in the high end forum? ipods...really now
1st March 2006
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

I think this thing could be a nice auratone-type thing to have around.

No tweeters, y'know.
1st March 2006
Old 1st March 2006
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Unbound Send a message via MSN to Unbound
note: My ipod is completely .WAV files. Quality over quantity....

Aaron
1st March 2006
Old 1st March 2006
Gear Head

1st March 2006
Old 1st March 2006
Gear addict

I thinks Hi fi pod will be new auratone/ NS10´s. Everybody is using ipod now, and we will be mixing for little suckers sooner or later dfegad
1st March 2006
Old 1st March 2006
Gear nut

Looks like the iPod plugs in via the narrow usb/firewire port thingy on the bottom (like having it in a dock), so it must bypass the so-so DA convertor on the actual ipod itself headphone jack, it could be interesting.
1st March 2006
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thinks Hi fi pod will be new auratone/ NS10´s. Everybody is using ipod now, and we will be mixing for little suckers sooner or later
even though the ipod is just a storage medium? Most people I know with ipods are still using their favorite headphones.....which ever they may be. If this "stereo" becomes some kind of standard as far as home stereos go it would very well be a different story.

NS10's were used (i think) because they were a good middle ground between the majority of stereos people listen to music on. Not so sure if that's the case anymore.
1st March 2006
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
256 AAC ain't bad. It is a LOT better than the usual MP3!!!!
Jax
1st March 2006
Old 1st March 2006
Jax
Lives for gear

Why can't we buy regular old, better sounding .wav or .aiff files the same way we can buy crappy little compressed mp3's and aac's online? I'm not talking about buying a CD off Amazon.. I mean getting tracks online in the same way the itunes store functions.

Is there a company already doing this? I've not heard of one...

The only time I'll listen to data-squashed music is to audition something that I would buy in a better format, or to get a quick idea of something I'll be working on. I'm another who refuses to listen to plasticized, preshrunk music for the passive listenership masses. Fucdat.

That's why my music collection is almost up to a TB but it's more than worth it to me.
1st March 2006
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Who says you have to load it up with mp3s?

I have an iPod in my car loaded with wavs.
Myspace
Facebook
Studio
Twitter
1st March 2006
Old 1st March 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by squelch
Looks like the iPod plugs in via the narrow usb/firewire port thingy on the bottom (like having it in a dock), so it must bypass the so-so DA convertor on the actual ipod itself headphone jack, it could be interesting.

The connector on the bottom of the ipod includes an analogue line out, so the conversion is still from the ipod but it's a hell of a lot better sounding than the ipod headphone out.
I figure this is the case because the dock you sit the ipod in has a line out on it and that little bit of plastic (the dock) isn't doing any d/a conversion.

Here's what's on the bottom of an ipod:

http://pinouts.ru/data/ipod_pinout.shtml
1st March 2006
Old 1st March 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax
Why can't we buy regular old, better sounding .wav or .aiff files the same way we can buy crappy little compressed mp3's and aac's online? I'm not talking about buying a CD off Amazon.. I mean getting tracks online in the same way the itunes store functions.

The only time I'll listen to data-squashed music is to audition something that I would buy in a better format, or to get a quick idea of something I'll be working on. I'm another who refuses to listen to plasticized, preshrunk music for the passive listenership masses. Fucdat.

That's why my music collection is almost up to a TB but it's more than worth it to me.
Well, there is a company doing this from Russia: www.allofmp3.com. However the legality of the site is definitely dubious. Check it out and see what you think.
1st March 2006
Old 1st March 2006
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd33
The connector on the bottom of the ipod includes an analogue line out, so the conversion is still from the ipod but it's a hell of a lot better sounding than the ipod headphone out.
I figure this is the case because the dock you sit the ipod in has a line out on it and that little bit of plastic (the dock) isn't doing any d/a conversion.

Here's what's on the bottom of an ipod:

http://pinouts.ru/data/ipod_pinout.shtml
Hey, that pinout is cool, I've never seen that. It seems like someone could make a device that gets data from the firewire or usb data pins, thus bypassing the DA convertor. This is obviously what happens when you play what's on the iPod through your computer when it is mounted. Is there something that can do that other than a computer with iTunes?
1st March 2006
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

Putting wavs or aiffs or even apple lossless on your ipod isn't always practical for battery reasons just as much as space reasons. The more it has to read from the hard drive, the shorter it lasts. I tested different sampling rates out on my dad's genelecs before ripping all of my music, and getting 320 AAC at 1/6th the uncompressed size was worth it, especially since the difference between the original and the 320 was subtle. To me, a well-recorded album at 320 still sounds better than an average recording straight off the CD. And through earbuds, you can't hear the difference. Of course, occassionally I'll put on something like Blonde Redhead, which I got from a friend who ripped it at 160 mp3, and THAT'LL make me cringe.
I agree with the need for an option to buy legally at higher rates. There were times that I would have gladly bought an album from the itunes store if I could at least get it as high as 192 AAC. I live far from any decent record stores...
1st March 2006
Old 1st March 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax

Magnatune allows you to download full Wave files, but it's all indie stuff. There is a lot of great music on there for sure.

My Studio - The Ranch
Jax
2nd March 2006
Old 2nd March 2006
Jax
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticus
Magnatune allows you to download full Wave files, but it's all indie stuff. There is a lot of great music on there for sure.
Thanks, atticus. Just checked out their site. Looks like they have the right idea.. exactly what I was talking about. I'm not familiar with most of the music there, but I call that a good thing.
2nd March 2006
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax

Well, beatport.com and stompy.com sell WAVs to the dance music community. (Also, the default bitrate for mp3s in the dance world is a fairly acceptable 320kbps.)

I suspect part of the problem is the majors' antsiness about totally sinking their business in physical objects.

Peece,
T. Tauri
2nd March 2006
Old 2nd March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
I think this thing could be a nice auratone-type thing to have around.

No tweeters, y'know.
Well observed Max; however, much as the studio world might need an Auratone replacement, I think the tweeters have been omitted for another reason:

After a short period of using the Ipod’s in-ear buds, any hearing you had above 8K will be obliterated anyway, so why would you need tweeters?

:-)

I’ll get me coat...

Justin
3rd March 2006
Old 3rd March 2006
Gear addict

I'm sure I'll catch some crap for this.

Listen to your CD's encoded as AAC in iTunes using either your Digi 192 or Apogee converters and then listen to the actual CD's on something like your DVD player, Sony CD jukebox or Discman and tell me which one sounds better.

AAC w/good converters beats 16/44.1 CD's with crap converters.
3rd March 2006
Old 3rd March 2006
Rep
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfw3
I'm sure I'll catch some crap for this.

Listen to your CD's encoded as AAC in iTunes using either your Digi 192 or Apogee converters and then listen to the actual CD's on something like your DVD player, Sony CD jukebox or Discman and tell me which one sounds better.

AAC w/good converters beats 16/44.1 CD's with crap converters.

You dont use Converters , to go back Out , to make a CD / AAC or Mp3 or Wave ,
... once it is converted in the DAW the rest is just Program encoding.
29th March 2006
Old 29th March 2006
Gear addict

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles sobre El Rio Porciuncula

so - has anyone actually heard this apple boom box thing?
29th March 2006
Old 29th March 2006
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to ~ufo~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~ufo~
SB said t'was rather good actually. haven't heard it myself.
Rep
29th March 2006
Old 29th March 2006
Rep
Lives for gear

Considering that everyone with a Ipod ( 300Mill sold) will get this sooner or latter,
I might as well get the Fuc*^r to liston back how My Stuff will sound on play back!
29th March 2006
Old 29th March 2006
Lives for gear

I heard it and was NOT knocked out. A week or so before it was released, they had a different 2 speaker plus sub system for around the same money. THAT sucker sounded good. As soon as they brought out the Hi Fi, the cool one was off the shelf. Hmmmmm.

"Don't play everything. Let some things go by. Some music is just imagined" - Thelonius Monk
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search