Thoughts on Ipod touch vs Ipod Classic
New Reply
Subscribe
sopre
17th February 2011
Old 17th February 2011
Gear addict

Thoughts on Ipod touch vs Ipod Classic

Does anyone have the ipod touch? I've always had the Ipod classic. I mainly take my ipod everywhere listening to music and to the gym. I was looking at the ipod touch. What is your take on it? I have the ipod classic 120 gb clasic. I might just stick to that. Was just wondering about the touch. Was looking at a used on via ebay at 32 or 64 gb. Thx
18th February 2011
Old 18th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopre View Post
Does anyone have the ipod touch? I've always had the Ipod classic. I mainly take my ipod everywhere listening to music and to the gym. I was looking at the ipod touch. What is your take on it? I have the ipod classic 120 gb clasic. I might just stick to that. Was just wondering about the touch. Was looking at a used on via ebay at 32 or 64 gb. Thx

Really?

I think it's time to visit Apple's website.
vfr
18th February 2011
Old 18th February 2011
vfr
Gear nut

The iPod touch has a MUCH better user interface than the Classic and much bigger display. The downside is the limited storage (I have a 160GB classic) and greater expense. Another advantage is that the Touch can run most of the applications that the iPhone does.

One thing to watch if buying used; their have been several generations of the Touch, with the later versions having progressively better features and physically smaller.
19th February 2011
Old 19th February 2011
Lives for gear

It's really like asking the difference between a uhaul and a sports car.
22nd February 2011
Old 22nd February 2011
Lives for gear

Ipod touch is up for discontinuation according to rumors. You also can't access any of the APPs or surf the web with a classic. The ipod touch is a hand entertainment center where the ipod classic is simply a music player.
MacPro 2.66 quad, Macbook Pro 13" 2.4, Protools 8 LE 003, Logic 8, McDsp, Sonnox, API 512c, GR NV500, Buzz Essence, Focusrite Solo, DBX 160A, Telefunken AK47, AKG 414eb Adam A7 Sub 8, Laney, Fender, Martin, Musicman, PRS, Marshall, Bach.
22nd February 2011
Old 22nd February 2011
Gear maniac

When you drop it, the music doesn't stop.
9th April 2011
Old 9th April 2011
Gear maniac

You can control the classic while riding a bike or at a stoplight to play over your car radio. The touch takes five buttons to do anything. Totally different machine. Not in the same category. Both useful. Neither is quite as earth-shattering as the ad campaigns that drive them.

I mean, you can get an mp3 player for $20 at a drugstore now, so...

The iPod touch is like an iPhone without the phone. It's good for checking email, but only when you've got the wifi password where you are. If you're willing to press some extra buttons to change the volume, either can also work as an mp3 player. But the iPod classic is a better mp3 player because the music controls are always open. For that matter, my old Sony Walkman phone was a better mp3 player for the same reason, but a terrible phone, because the music controls, even in my pocket, were always open.
10th April 2011
Old 10th April 2011
Gear addict

If what you need and all you want is a kick-ass music player then the Classic slays the Touch.
6th May 2011
Old 6th May 2011
restpause

I have a 1st gen iPod Touch and it's a great gimmick but I like my Sansa Clip better as a media player (WAV, FLAC, OGG, MP3, WMA, Audible)... it's more compact and has an EQ too.

For browsing the internet, the Touch is way too small compared to the iPad and I was surprised that it wouldn't work in some hotspots like at the airport. The Touch won't load Flash on webpages which is a major setback. Also at some point it started failing on loading YouTube videos, even with the native YouTube app. I did figure out how to check email on it which was cool.

Well that's my 2 cents. Only other thing I'd add is the Sansa Fuze can do all the Sansa Clip can do with the addition of MP4 playback and the ability to use 8 GB memory chips too.
15th May 2011
Old 15th May 2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroidmist View Post
I have a 1st gen iPod Touch and it's a great gimmick but I like my Sansa Clip better as a media player (FLAC, OGG, MP3, WMA, Audible)... it's more compact and has an EQ too.

For browsing the internet, the Touch is way too small compared to the iPad and I was surprised that it wouldn't work in some hotspots like at the airport. The Touch won't load Flash on webpages which is a major setback. Also at some point it started failing on loading YouTube videos, even with the native YouTube app. I did figure out how to check email on it which was cool.

Well that's my 2 cents. Only other thing I'd add is the Sansa Fuze can do all the Sansa Clip can do with the addition of MP4 playback and the ability to use 8 GB memory chips too.
I have a 4th Gen Touch and I love it. Sure it doesn' have much space but the apps for it are awesome!
15th May 2011
Old 15th May 2011
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to fzit0 Send a message via MSN to fzit0 Send a message via Skype™ to fzit0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
The ipod touch is a hand entertainment center where the ipod classic is simply a music player.
Exactly what I was going to say.
16th May 2011
Old 16th May 2011
Lives for gear

FWIW, the 4th and 5th generation iPods use a very high-quality internal Wolfson Microelectronics DAC (Wolfson DACs are used in quite a few high-end home audio CD players).

I'm a dork... but I love sound

-a
16th May 2011
Old 16th May 2011
Lives for gear

I love the storage of my classic, but in the car I would kill for the GUI of the touch or my Iphone with the storage of my classic!

I feel like I should make the pissed smiley my Avitar

Eric Nelson
restpause
18th May 2011
Old 18th May 2011
restpause

I used to download a lot of apps for my iTouch, but inevitably I never really used any of them much except for ShoutCast and maybe the calculator in scientific mode. Most of the apps were a waste of time and money... which is pretty much the overall purpose of apps.

One thing that really pissed me off was a good wifi app that would actively and continually scan for wifi hotspots and log them and beep if they were open. It could even log into them automatically if you liked. It was very hackeresque smooth!!! It was amazing driving thru the local neighborhoods and seeing everyone's unencrypted wireless modems showing up block after block. That was actually useful for wardriving.

Sadly, apple forced the maker of the app to update without that wifi scanning function because it was some proprietary apple code that developers weren't supposed to use. Goddamn you Apple and all your proprietary bullsh*t.

Anyways, I didn't know about this when I updated the app so I lost my wifi scanner and there weren't any replacements available and i didn't have any backups. tutt
25th May 2011
Old 25th May 2011
Gear interested

With the iPod touch there are apps that you can use to text and if you have a Bluetooth headset you can make calls to I think. Then all you need is a 3G hotspot card. And you can do everything an iPhone can probably for less a month.
25th May 2011
Old 25th May 2011
Lives for gear

For me the only Ipod is the Ipod classic. Can't fit my collection on any of the other players as I have about 16.000 tracks ATM. And it's built like a tank. Have had my old one for 4 years, still going strong, no battery change or anything. Love it. The touch is way too small at this point and I never watch film on a pod anyway.
27th July 2011
Old 27th July 2011
Gear Head

Ipod classic all the way, just want the music. I'll surf the net on my computer.
29th July 2011
Old 29th July 2011
Gear addict

Sansa Fuze. Way better than anything Apple has ever made.
1st August 2011
Old 1st August 2011
Gear maniac

Ipod touch all the way. No hdd and I can use an app to control reaper from the other side of the room.
2nd August 2011
Old 2nd August 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

my 120 gig classic stays in my car except when i take it out to sync for more tunes/playlists. touch wouldn't hold my full song collection.

Clever Sounds Recording
engineer, producer, composer
have bass, will travel...

------------------------------------------------------
nMP, Slate Raven MTi, Focal 6BE's, ProTools 11 native, ADL600, Focusrite 428, Dimedio, Obsidian, Distressor, BAC500, One LA, Serpent 4001, MAAG 2 EQ, Grace 501, Harrison 32EQ, etc.
2nd August 2011
Old 2nd August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcreeves View Post
Sansa Fuze. Way better than anything Apple has ever made.
Well done, you have completely failed to read and understand the title of this thread.
22nd November 2011
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear Head

I'm inclined to want less moving parts when possible, so the HD on the older iPod is a nono.

Still, tactile controls are nice.

I like the little old iPod Shuffles.
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

I have about 16,000 + songs on my iPhone now with music match as soon as I add a mix from the studio it uploads to iCloud and it's on all my devices.
Music Match really negates the need for a 160GB ipod for me.
Plus I can even tell my iphone what song to play no more searching through lists - welcome to Star Trek!

==========

SURPLUS GEAR SALE
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search