Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

Is Verizon getting the iPhone?

Is Verizon getting the iPhone?

Any news?
5th December 2010
Old 5th December 2010
Lives for gear

Not sure, but if they are I'll probably switch since they will most likely offer lower rates to compete.
6th December 2010
Old 6th December 2010
Gear addict

Yes, first quarter next year. Also the Ipad 2 will have the cdma chip so it can be used with 4g/lte on the verizon network instead of just wifi as it is now.
6th December 2010
Old 6th December 2010
Kills for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Kessler View Post
Yes, first quarter next year. Also the Ipad 2 will have the cdma chip so it can be used with 4g/lte on the verizon network instead of just wifi as it is now.
Do you have a link that substantiates this? It has been a rumor every quarter for nearly two years now.
6th December 2010
Old 6th December 2010
2 up Quarks 1 down Quark

Had this conversation with a rep in early spring this year.

Me: "Word on the street is a company in Asia is working on an Iphone for Verizon."

Him: "Not at liberty to say."

Me: "Okay. Can we both agree that the only reason Verizon doesn't have the Iphone now is because Apple is so anal, they won't allow a different Iphone to exist." (meaning it wouldn't be able to do voice and data simultaneously on Verizon's current network)

Him: Head nod yes

Me: "So att is about to lose out in their push to make GSM the global standard." "Since Verizon has won out, LTE is the definite next gen technology."

Him: Head nod yes

Me: "So it's safe to say that if LTE can do voice and data simultaneously, Verizon will have the Iphone."

Him: "oh it will do much more than voice and data at the same time."

Me: "Verizon is conducting trials in across the US." "Roll out is set for early 2011 so we'll see the Iphone by spring."

Him:

Me:
7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010
Gear maniac

From what i understand, AT&T have a contract for the iPhone through 2012. Anything else is pure speculation and rumor until then.
7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
Do you have a link that substantiates this? It has been a rumor every quarter for nearly two years now.
Sorry but no. Fully aware of the rumours, trust me. Didn't see it on the magic box, heard it from a family member who works for the company.
7th December 2010
Old 7th December 2010
Lives for gear

The latest projection comes from Shaw Wu, a senior analyst at investment banking and advisory firm Kaufman Bros, according to Fortune.

On Monday, Wu distributed a report to KBRO clients that seems to support rumors of a 2011 release for the fabled device.

Wu writes that, based on what he has heard so far, Verizon may have to pay dearly to carry the iPhone. What's more, says Wu, "VZ [Verizon] could be more willing to give in to Apple's terms" if a deal indeed materializes between the two companies.

According to Fortune, Wu's note reveals that "Apple's hand was strengthened by the 14.1 million iPhones sold last quarter, the share gains AT&T made against Verizon over the past two quarters, and reports that Google's Android has started 'to lose some of its luster' for Verizon."

Wu also indicated that Verizon would try to muscle out competing carriers, such as T-Mobile and Sprint, that do not already have exclusivity deals with Apple. This means that Verizon "may be willing to pay for exclusivity to itself and AT&T," writes Wu, who adds that for Verizon, Google's Android has begun "to lose some of its luster."

The Wall Street Journal has been reporting that a Verizon iPhone could be slotted for an early 2011 release, with manufacturing set to begin in late 2010. TechCrunch seems to believe that these reports are part of an “Apple-controlled leak.” It is also believed that Apple has ordered millions of Qualcomm mobile processing chips, which are compatible with Verizon’s network but not AT&T’s. However, Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg dampened the buzz about a Verizon iPhone in September, when Seidenberg said, "We don't feel like we have an iPhone deficit. We would love to carry it when we get there, but we have to earn it […] Hopefully, at some point Apple will get with the program."
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to BlackestEyes
No way will Apple put out an iPhone on a brand new LTE network. I will say though, I am anxious for the iPhone to make the move to Verizon at some point to see how Verizon's network handles the load the iPhone will put on its data network. As of right now, I wouldn't want an iPhone on Verizon...their data network is much slower than AT&T's.

The iPhone on Verizon rumor has been around since the iPhone came out. I would expect the iPhone to come out on Verizon when both AT&T and Verizon are both on LTE...probably summer of 2012.
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to dr_love6977
Verizon has it and is testing it now. It will be released in January.
8th December 2010
Old 8th December 2010
Kills for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_love6977 View Post
I hope it's true, but I'll believe it in January.
10th December 2010
Old 10th December 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_love6977 View Post
Proof?
15th December 2010
Old 15th December 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Kessler View Post
Sorry but no. Fully aware of the rumours, trust me. Didn't see it on the magic box, heard it from a family member who works for the company.
What do they do for the company?
4th January 2011
Old 4th January 2011
Kills for gear

Sooooo, not January then?
7th January 2011
Old 7th January 2011
Lives for gear

Verizon to hold iPhone event Jan. 11

Verizon to hold iPhone event Jan. 11

Verizon Wireless will announce Tuesday Jan. 11 that Apple's iPhone is finally coming to its network, according to a person familiar with the matter.
The company sent invitations Friday inviting reporters and bloggers to an event it is hosting at New York City's Lincoln Center.
The invitation was scarce on details, failing to say what the announcement would entail, other than Verizon President Lowell McAdam would host it.
Apple declined to comment.
It had been widely expected that Verizon Wireless, a joint venture of Verizon and Vodafone, would start selling the iPhone sometime in early 2011.
In addition to the invitation, there had been Internet reports suggesting Apple has been prohibiting some retail employees from taking vacation at certain points over the next month, adding to speculation that a major product launch looms.

Read more: Verizon to hold iPhone event Jan. 11 - NYPOST.com
11th January 2011
Old 11th January 2011
Gear maniac

welp. it's official.

It will be interesting to see if Verizon will be able to handle the load that the iPhone will put on its network. Maybe it will help them since they can't do simultaneous voice and data.
11th January 2011
Old 11th January 2011
Kills for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
I hope it's true, but I'll believe it in January.
I believe it! Coming in Feb though, close enough.
I'll stick with AT&T for now and wait for the iPhone 5.
11th January 2011
Old 11th January 2011
Lives for gear

Were the rates announced, anyone know what they are?
12th January 2011
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackestEyes View Post
since they can't do simultaneous voice and data.
verizon is still having this issue. no way would I ever switch over there until they fix that. do you know how many times people are on phone and need to go online or use email. Besides that, att and verizon prices have always been exactly the same. For less functionality? no way.
13th January 2011
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

13th January 2011
Old 13th January 2011
Gear nut

I'm curious to see if the dropped calls is a network issue or a phone issue. I'll switch just because Verizon is better where I live. I just have an odd feeling that the phone is to blame for the random failed calls. The odd thing is that I get dropped calls on my own microcell.... Try to stay calm when you drop a call stand next to a mini tower.
14th January 2011
Old 14th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikers Beard View Post
I'm curious to see if the dropped calls is a network issue or a phone issue. I'll switch just because Verizon is better where I live. I just have an odd feeling that the phone is to blame for the random failed calls. The odd thing is that I get dropped calls on my own microcell.... Try to stay calm when you drop a call stand next to a mini tower.
for me it is an iphone issue. I can be in same area with both my blackberry and iphone and blackberry is solid no drops. both on at&t.
20th February 2011
Old 20th February 2011
Gear nut

Well, it turns out it's not the phone. I've had my Verizon iPhone since the 8th. Not 1 dropped call and signal is the same as my wifes droid. I was actually able to talk with my sister for 31 minutes without a glitch. I couldn't do that with my Att 3GS even with more than three bars.

The Att vs Verizon seems ridiculous. Pick which service is better where you live.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search