Anyone jumped to Office 2011 Mac edition?
Jules
13th November 2010
Old 13th November 2010
Gearslutz.com admin

Anyone jumped to Office 2011 Mac edition?

I am wondering how an Exchange email account would work out with an iPhone / outlook combo.

I may go for a family pack.

Entourage was supposed to be a dog. But supposedly all fixed and fast now...

Any early adopters?

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
18th December 2010
Old 18th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
I am wondering how an Exchange email account would work out with an iPhone / outlook combo.

Any early adopters?

I work for Microsoft and I can tell you its a great product. I have to support it with Exchange Online and its wouderful. I can tell you from experience that Outlook 2011 fixes allot of issue, and the rest of the suite is just as impressive. Its really good and FAST!
30th December 2010
Old 30th December 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:

Any early adopters?

None of the Entourage bugs is fixed. And now it's called outlook, but with the same bugs. Alot of things is changed for the worse. I've been a Office user for years. But this did it for me.

Now I'm a iWorks dude, and it feels like anything else Apple makes, just awesome.
9th January 2011
Old 9th January 2011
Gear addict

I would'nt upgrade now.

Excel crashes quite often and I sometimes can't manage to format things the way I want to. I then continue working with word 2008.
3rd February 2011
Old 3rd February 2011
Gear maniac

Its working great for me... although I do get it for free! If I had the bread I would have upgraded it anyway though from the 2008 version I had.
3rd February 2011
Old 3rd February 2011
Music CrAZy

I upgraded because the Microsoft Database Demon-bug triggered by Entourage drove me crazy. So far, Outlook has fixed this issue for me.

The "conversations" view that groups different mails to one group (like mail on the iPhone does) is too buggy/erratic to use. That's a shame! On the iPhone this works sooo nicely.

Still a lot of money for "bug fixes"...and the upgrade pricing is a joke! I ended up buying it new.
Jules
4th February 2011
Old 4th February 2011
Gearslutz.com admin

hmmm....

back to sit on the fence I go....
24th February 2011
Old 24th February 2011

i switched a few months ago and ive had no problems so far, no crashes although the price is quite steep i really recommend it, a lot more usable than the 2008 edition

Regards

Brad
25th February 2011
Old 25th February 2011
Gear maniac

There are ups and downs. I'm certainly happy they brought VBA back so that I can script in excel, however, there have been a few bugs I've seen with Word. I haven't gone near Outlook as I stick to Mail for all my macs. As long as you're on 10.6, Mail works just great with Exchange.
25th February 2011
Old 25th February 2011
I switched over around Xmas. frankly I don't see that it was worth the effort or expense. on top of that I have had 2 problems with my Outlook database. thank god I do regular backups. makes me feel constantly uncomfortable, like when's it gonna happen again? there are also several small annoying things that were in Entourage, but are not in Outlook. can't remember which ones right now but when they come up I curse! as far as I am concerned I wish I hadn't bothered.
28th August 2011
Old 28th August 2011
Lives for gear

I dumped entourage and office on my Mac a few years ago, been running so much better now. Using Gmail only. Replaced MS office with free open office, can't tell the difference really, except my wallets fatter!

No MS products in or on my computer anymore, yay! (except .wmv/.wav system stuff), can't escape them totally.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app so please forgive any bad auto-correct. I'll try to fix it in the mix later!
Jules
5th September 2011
Old 5th September 2011
Gearslutz.com admin

Thaks for the feedback.

Well I tried it for about 2 days and went back to Mail I want Exchange 2010 so I can get to the out of office and other tweaks via Safari. Earlier versions are only fully tweakable via Explorer

Anyone on Exchange 2010 with a Mac? If so - how is it?
JES
29th November 2011
Old 29th November 2011
JES
Lives for gear

My work uses exchange 2010 and I use Mac mail, iCal and address book. No problems here. After some Entourage disasters, it's going to take a lot to get me to trust MS again for that stuff on a Mac.
29th November 2011
Old 29th November 2011
Quote:
Thaks for the feedback.

Well I tried it for about 2 days and went back to Mail I want Exchange 2010 so I can get to the out of office and other tweaks via Safari. Earlier versions are only fully tweakable via Explorer

Anyone on Exchange 2010 with a Mac? If so - how is it?
my boss got a mac and outlook 2010. he connects to a 2007 exchange server mostly.

no issues, fast.

I would think about getting an 365 hosting from microsoft. 8$/month, should do what you need.

cheers
G
29th November 2011
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

whats office, is that a vst?
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

I don't know about Office 11 but I recently switched from MS Office 2004 to Open Office. The latter used to suck when it was still X11 but since it went Intel native earlier this year it has come of age and is as good as the commercial offerings.

It is definitely an improvement over MS Office anyway, which was buggy on my Mac.

I like how the iWorks stuff looks, but I don't really need the prefab layouts and OO does everything else just as well.

I always found Entourage illogical and counter-intuitive to use, but I feel that goes for most mail clients so maybe that's just me. I like OSX Mail a lot, simple to set up and easy to use. But I'm not a power user.

As for syncing mail with the iPhone, I find Gmail second to none. So much so in fact that I all but stopped using my URL's POP3. I'm actually considering to move those to Google as well.
30th November 2011
Old 30th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
whats office, is that a vst?

No, its only RTAS & AU. But I hear they have already ported it to AAX.
19th December 2011
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Any early adopters?

I've been using Exchange with Office 2011 and iPhone for months. No problems at all. I'll be updating to Exchange 2010 soon but don't expect any problems. Couldn't operate without Exchange and Office.
19th December 2011
Old 19th December 2011
I used Entourage for years & liked it pretty well. I "upgraded to Outlook in Office 11 and thought that I couldn't get along without it... that's when I started having repeated database issues with Outlook! it reached the point about a month ago where I was getting errors and being forced to rebuild the database nearly every other day. in a fit of frustration, ask my wife how I was acting, I finally switched over to Apple Mail, Address Book and Calendar. it was a PITA for about a week, then it was easy. the nice thing is the easy integration with my iPhone 4s. I don't think I would go back. I still use Word and Excel extensively, so I really doubt I would change that.
19th December 2011
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
I used Entourage for years & liked it pretty well. I "upgraded to Outlook in Office 11 and thought that I couldn't get along without it... that's when I started having repeated database issues with Outlook! it reached the point about a month ago where I was getting errors and being forced to rebuild the database nearly every other day. in a fit of frustration, ask my wife how I was acting, I finally switched over to Apple Mail, Address Book and Calendar. it was a PITA for about a week, then it was easy. the nice thing is the easy integration with my iPhone 4s. I don't think I would go back. I still use Word and Excel extensively, so I really doubt I would change that.
Totally agree with regard to using Outlook without Exchange. Pain in the &$$.

Jules is however talking about using Outlook with MS Exchange. Totally different way of working than 'using Outlook' which as you point out does not (easily or particularly well) interface with the iPhone (for example). Exchange is the 'glue' that keeps your email on a server (user owned or third party service). For those that don't want to manage mail servers I fully recommend 123together.com.

For example I run two Windows machines (laptop and desktop) with Office, an iPhone and Mac Pro w/Office. Mail, calender, etc. is always in sync with all devices. With Exchange you have all of the services you find in any 'real' office environment including backups, calendar sharing, etc.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search