Replacing cable tv with what???
shadyru
11th October 2010
Old 11th October 2010
Lives for gear

Replacing cable tv with what???

I'm sick of comcast etc and was wondering what you guys that are also sick of the pricing are doing?
I was looking into Apple TV, Roku, Booxie, Windows 7 laptop with XBMC, Myth TV.
I would like access to Hulu, Netflix, and to stream music/movies from my server pc.
Any suggestions??
11th October 2010
Old 11th October 2010
Lives for gear

My Studio

I know tons of friends dropping cable and just doing netflix streaming to their computers, WII's and Roku's.
12th October 2010
Old 12th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 View Post
I know tons of friends dropping cable and just doing netflix streaming to their computers, WII's and Roku's.
dropped the tv, just watch on demand stuff of the net,
12th October 2010
Old 12th October 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I've bought a "Dreambox", I think it can do all you want and even be a tuner for a dish.
14th October 2010
Old 14th October 2010
Lives for gear

Thinking about dropping cable myself.

The problem I have is high speed internet like I have now is around $70 and for just $25 more I get basic cable. At that point it becomes just too cheap to not keep it around for the amount of programming and convenience I get for that small amount.
Plus, I can't miss or wait for the new Venture Brothers episodes.
Not to mention FOOTBALL and to a lesser extent baseball and basketball games.

I really should look into cheaper internet options because I know they are out there, but I am gonna move in 3-4 months so why bother.
14th October 2010
Old 14th October 2010
Lives for gear

We dumped AT&T U-Verse cable, cut the bill in half basically and I bought the WD Live Plus box to stream Netflix and Pandora radio, plus you can plug in a harddrive or stream off another computer or drive connected to the network and it will play most file formats. So far so good. Though I do miss being able to DVR The Big Bang Theory. I'll have to settle trying to watch them on the MacBook off surfthechannel or something (DO NOT USE A PC ON SURFTHECHANNEL.COM, I got a trojan from that once)
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I said goodbye to television 3 years ago. We mostly watch store bought DVDs but we just signed up for Netflix. It's an absolute steal at $8.99 a month. In the first three weeks we've already watched over 20 movies and shows. The quality of the instant streaming varies but I can't see myself needing cable for a long time.
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Gear addict

SOny Blu Ray

Haven't had TV (cable or over the air) in about 8 years. I live in the mountains, can't get reception and fear what cable TV would do to my little free time.

I do subscribe to netflix and bought a $200 Sony BLu Ray player. It's a great streaming experience - good content and also provides music through Slacker Radio.

lD
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Lives for gear

new tv & blu-ray player + rebuilt pc with wifi & hdmi.

I borrow DVD's from our local library. They've got it set up through a website Netflix-style and it is free!

I also stream hulu.com through the "TV" computer. It all works pretty well.
19th October 2010
Old 19th October 2010
Lives for gear

It depends on how dependent you are on TV. Cable is expensive, i have dish and its not too bad to be honest, one thing i can say is get what you want when you get into contract, they want to charge me 230 to upgrade to DVR so ill wait on that. But i watch a lot of tv to be honest, got netflix also, it really is a steal cuz i watch at work with my laptop.
19th October 2010
Old 19th October 2010
Gear nut

I too have lived without cable for about 3 years... lots of streaming Netflix, Apple rentals and Hulu.

Just hooked up the new Apple TV this week, at 99$ it's a steal in my book. I bought it banking on the fact that it will eventually be a part of the App Store and also for the AirPlay feature of being able to push any of my iPhone or laptop content to it.

Again, I have just been using it for a couple days, but so far so good!

Also one more to look into is Google TV... have not heard much about it but I assume it will have some unique features!!!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search