Most OVERRATED Synthesizers?
Old 13th June 2014
Gear maniac

I have Pro One and I can't wait to sell it....
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdpath View Post
if i take the sentimentality out of it, the most overrated synth i've ever owned was a minimoog model D.

yes, nothing else sounds like it and it changed my world but IMHO it's far from the holy grail of sounds i seek nowadays.

i can feel the hatred and disdain already...
ha, all good. i can gear the trolls coming now….. but yeah, everything is subjective… and as good as the old model d is, as it is a constant reference point, that makes it overrated by definition because it is held on such a pedestal, no other way around it.
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugo View Post
Gotta love the $20,000 synth being played through $300 speakers
+1
That should be punishable by law...

Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m127f View Post
+1
That should be punishable by law...

again, those are NOT shitty speakers! Those are Krk VXT8's. They should be perfectly competent for demonstrating the Schmidtt or whatever…..
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtycircuit View Post
I have Pro One and I can't wait to sell it....
EEEEHHHHHH!!!

You are not supposed to say that! First you have to praise how wonderful the synth is to get the most money for it. (=Underrated)

Then you can bash it!!! (=Overrated)

Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffor View Post
EEEEHHHHHH!!!

You are not supposed to say that! First you have to praise how wonderful the synth is to get the most money for it. (=Underrated)

Then you can bash it!!! (=Overrated)

This man knows the secret of GS.
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdi View Post
This man knows the secret of GS.
Hardly the case. If I would know the secrets I possible would have added a third paragraph:

buying back at lower price!!! (=rated R)

Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear
Overrated: I don't know nearly enough about "all the synths" to even state an opinion on this thread. Even the ones I own, I own for a reason, and I can't say any of them are overrated.

However, I do think there are many synths that are overpriced. I base price on comparing electronic features and software features to other products.

Overpriced. The two that come to mind are:

1) Roland X0X range (esp. SH-101)
2) Access Virus range

I would buy an Access Virus, but I think there are VSTs which go for 1/8th of the price that can do the job. Remembering that the Access Virus is a DSP Digital synth that simulates analog (VA) - and there are plenty of VSTs that can do this. Whilst they have done a fantastic job with the synth - it is waaaay overpriced for what it is. Yep, I'm jealous of those who have spent their money and purchased one - but I can't justify that kind of money on essentially software.
Old 14th June 2014
Gear maniac

Roland TB-303: it's a one-trick pony and it's sound is certainly neither spectacular nor unique.

The only reason it's so overrated is because it's sound defined a music genre but that doesn't mean that in 2014 you still need a TB-303 to do that kind of music, there are countless alternatives.
Old 14th June 2014
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzee View Post
Overrated: I don't know nearly enough about "all the synths" to even state an opinion on this thread. Even the ones I own, I own for a reason, and I can't say any of them are overrated.

However, I do think there are many synths that are overpriced. I base price on comparing electronic features and software features to other products.

Overpriced. The two that come to mind are:

1) Roland X0X range (esp. SH-101)
2) Access Virus range

I would buy an Access Virus, but I think there are VSTs which go for 1/8th of the price that can do the job. Remembering that the Access Virus is a DSP Digital synth that simulates analog (VA) - and there are plenty of VSTs that can do this. Whilst they have done a fantastic job with the synth - it is waaaay overpriced for what it is. Yep, I'm jealous of those who have spent their money and purchased one - but I can't justify that kind of money on essentially software.
I agree. I would never spend another dime on any digital synth. Zebra can do so much more than the Virus (and you can have as many instances open as your CPU can manage). I definitely understand the advantages of having physical controls to tweak, but not for over 2 grand, or even $200 honestly.
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stallone View Post
I agree. I would never spend another dime on any digital synth. Zebra can do so much more than the Virus (and you can have as many instances open as your CPU can manage). I definitely understand the advantages of having physical controls to tweak, but not for over 2 grand, or even $200 honestly.
I agree with this to an extent.

whether a synth is analog or digital, when it comes to buying hardware if there is something exceptional about its user interface and it has something which isn't necessarily done better in software, then I feel it is worth owning. otherwise I'd much rather save my money and space.

my V-Synth is a good example of this. it has one of the most brilliantly designed UI's I've ever used and although Alchemy is a bit like it, the V-Synth is yet a very unique synth. the same goes for my Z1 as there is really nothing else like it. when it comes to my JP-8080 things get a bit more difficult to justify and really all it has going for it is its very enjoyable hands-on control, otherwise there are apps and plug-ins that can effectively replace it.

but yes, in general one could say that most digital hardware is overrated. whether running on a computer or in a dedicated box, it is still little more than an arrangement of zeroes and ones.
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

I never understood the Wavestation. I had one in late 90's, never bonded.
I even gave it a second change few years back with the vst, and while I was impressed to hear a classic rompler in virtual format, I still didn't get it. :(
Old 15th June 2014
Gear addict
Jupiter 8 overrated?

So, I just returned from picking up a Roland Jupiter 8. Is it pricey? Yes. Is it rare? Extremely. Is it overrated? HELLNO! Well, I'll start by saying it kicks the VST's ass all day, without trying to. The problem, I think is this, it's not like you can run down to guitar center and try one out. It is a massive sounding synth. I'll report more in the coming days, maybe post a video, too. I'm happy, so far!
Old 15th June 2014
Gear addict

You probably just could've mentioned it here in the thread also on the first page where there's a lot of Jupiter 8 overrated posts:

Most OVERRATED Synthesizers?
Old 15th June 2014
Gear addict

Last edited by Musicncars; 15th June 2014 at 03:46 AM.. Reason: Jupiter 8 specific discussion.
Old 15th June 2014
Gear nut

You are just experiencing the excitement that accompanies GAS and the receipt of any new synth. There were only about 2,000 JP-8 synths manufactured. If it was such a magnificent keeper, it would not be resold again and again and again and again. But sooner or later the owner looks beyond the rainbow colored controls and the decades of wear on the case only to realize the JP-8 is not as worthwhile as expected. Then he sells it and moves on to the next thing, which sometimes include talk about if he can just get a Waldorf Wave, it will be all he ever needs. Enjoy the fun while it lasts. It will be over before you know it. Might as well order a new copy of the Sweetwater catalog and refresh your eBay links because the JP-8 ownership is temporary for most users.
Old 15th June 2014
Gear addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firechild View Post
This thread is pointless , I dare to say that no one in this thread will name a synthesizer that they actually own.
"Yes I played it a couple of years ago it was totally overrated..."
So I don´t own a Synthex ...so the Synthex will be the most overrated synthesizer in my ears due to its DCO´s instead of VCO´s
Regarding the Jupiter8...well...if you play that synth with good monitors...you can hear and feel the pure top notch quality...beautiful harmonics , beautiful sound , fits perfect in a mix.
Exactly. I just picked one up. It sounds pretty fing amazing! Most people have probably never played a real one. It kills the VST all freaking day.
Old 15th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthtastic View Post
You are just experiencing the excitement that accompanies GAS and the receipt of any new synth. There were only about 2,000 JP-8 synths manufactured. If it was such a magnificent keeper, it would not be resold again and again and again and again. But sooner or later the owner looks beyond the rainbow colored controls and the decades of wear on the case only to realize the JP-8 is not as worthwhile as expected. Then he sells it and moves on to the next thing, which sometimes include talk about if he can just get a Waldorf Wave, it will be all he ever needs. Enjoy the fun while it lasts. It will be over before you know it. Might as well order a new copy of the Sweetwater catalog and refresh your eBay links because the JP-8 ownership is temporary for most users.
LOL this was put so well, and had me laughing as well.

I wonder, is there a term for the "GAS" hangover?
Old 15th June 2014
Gear addict
Furthermore, if the Jupiter 8 was overrated all hype, well, someone forgot to tell the prices they are going for. They only made 2000 of them, apparently. So, I strongly doubt that, with that being said, many people have actually played them, and are going by 1. Regurgitated parrot shit, that they have read, 2. Basing their opinions off the VST, 3. Jealousy.
Old 15th June 2014
Lives for gear

If you want that "JP-8" sound then you it may be priceless for you. I have to agree with you about the VSTs because I've compared my P5 to some of the emulation and in general the digital synths fall apart in the 15k Hz and above frequency range. I know that JP-8 excels in the treble and high-midrange regions, especially when you need to fill that spectrum when producing a song. The prices of 10k$ are ridiculous and at that price, the JP-8 is overrated.
Old 15th June 2014
Gear addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthtastic View Post
We will see. There are not that many being sold. Where do you get your data, to prove ownership is short lived?
Old 15th June 2014
Gear addict
If the jp-8 is so overrated, why is its value climbing higher than its equals of a few years ago?
Old 15th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicncars View Post
If the jp-8 is so overrated, why is its value climbing higher than its equals of a few years ago?
Why are the TB303 prices climbing? It has nothing to do with the sound but nostalgia and ownership bragging rights.
Old 15th June 2014
Gear addict
Quote:
If you want that "JP-8" sound then you it may be priceless for you. I have to agree with you about the VSTs because I've compared my P5 to some of the emulation and in general the digital synths fall apart in the 15k Hz and above frequency range. I know that JP-8 excels in the treble and high-midrange regions, especially when you need to fill that spectrum when producing a song. The prices of 10k$ are ridiculous and at that price, the JP-8 is overrated.
A few of these synths will be the "hemis" of the synth world. They only made 2000 of them. I wouldn't be surprised to see one go for 50k - 100k one day.
Old 15th June 2014
Gear addict
Quote:
Why are the TB303 prices climbing? It has nothing to do with the sound but nostalgia and ownership bragging rights.
The tb303 is the original. There are a lot of clones, but only one original.
Old 15th June 2014
Lives for gear

Log out and play it.
Old 15th June 2014
Gear addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
Log out and play it.
I would, I just got home from a 1900 mile round trip. So, tomorrow, you guys won't see me here.lol. I'm going to bed, very shortly.
Old 15th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickdafunk View Post
Someone once said to me: "Owning a Moog Voyager is like owning a Porsche. It's more of a status thing".
That's probably true for some people. Doesn't mean a porsche doesn't go fast.

I use my Voyager on practically every tune I make. If it is a status boost, that's fine but I don't think of it that way.
Old 15th June 2014
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicncars View Post
A few of these synths will be the "hemis" of the synth world. They only made 2000 of them. I wouldn't be surprised to see one go for 50k - 100k one day.
They could go for a billion $. It wouldn't make them any better or worse as synths. Kudos though to the collectors.
Old 15th June 2014
Lives for gear

my obligatory post in this thread.

while it could be said that because it's been resold a lot that it's somehow not a "keeper" many have probably stayed in the same hands for a long time as well. what do you expect for a 30+ yr old synth anyway. not everyone can afford to keep such an investment, regardless of how much they like it, and for some, the investment is not worth the practical value it gives them. it won't magically make your music better or anything like that. there's many people who have bought, sold, and re-bought them, many are driven to sell due to financial circumstances and not because they want to.

for me, it's half musical and half the technical aspect, repairing it, maintaining it, how it works, but I am like that with all my synths, not just the jp8. no one can question the fact it's a flagship piece of roland analog engineering, and for that I have a lot of respect for it. owning one is only going to be of value to the people who can appreciate it for what it is and what it isn't.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search