New Reply
Subscribe
Mellotronfan89
16th October 2006
Old 16th October 2006
Gear interested

SKINNY PUPPY SOUNDS AND PRODUCTION !

Hello Gear Fans !

I wanted to ask if any knew a list of equipment Skinny Puppy used from 1986 - 1992.

And on VIVIsect VI - What sounds did they use on VX Gas Attack, especially that bass line and the drums !

Thanks !
Mellotronfan 89
18th October 2006
Old 18th October 2006
Lives for gear

Pro One by Sequential Circuits I believe. They did use a lot of samples through stuff like the Ensoniq Mirage. I'd like to know what synth was used on Worlock.
27th October 2006
Old 27th October 2006
Gear interested

Send a message via AIM to JustinBailey Send a message via Yahoo to JustinBailey
Gear List i know of for a fact

i personally collect synths and have always tried to achieve everything Skinny Puppy used during that period as CFM and M:TPI were my fav puppy albums...here's a good list of what i saw them using in various bootleg videos, interviews, etc.

2 Ensoniq Mirages (not just used for samples, the mirage has 4 analog filters, used in FIRST AID)
Sequential Circuits Pro One
Roland System 100
Casio CZ-1/CZ-101
Ensoniq VFX
Arp 2600
Korg MS-10 & MS20
Roland TR808 & 909
Roland TB303
Roland SH-101
Moog Rogue
Memory Moog
Simmons Electronic Drum kit
Arp Omni 2
Sequential Circuits Prophet 5

i'd bet the Warlock "bass" was either an Ensoniq Mirage (there's a disk you can buy from SynTaur that has a patch that sounds almost identical to it) or a Pro One...or of course The Rogue....

that's all i know of first hand...

j.b.

Last edited by JustinBailey; 27th October 2006 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: warlock question addressed
29th October 2006
Old 29th October 2006
Lives for gear

I know an SY-35 was used on the album Last Rights, for song 11 called Download. Two favorite albums for me were polar opposites: Bites and Last Rights.

The V-synth is all over their newest album.

I thought I remember them havinga EML 101 in the past.
1st April 2008
Old 1st April 2008
Lives for gear

Does anyone know what gear was used on Skinny Puppy's Bites album? Or Back and Forth vol. 2? Track #2 on B & F has this modular synth in it I'm guessing is a EML 101. Sounds pretty cool, but I have no idea if that's the what's making the sound.
1st April 2008
Old 1st April 2008
Gear maniac

I read an interview with Cevin Key a while back and it was mentioned that both the bass throughout and the strings in the chorus of Worlock were an Ensoniq ESQ-1. I own an SQ-80 and can nail the same sounds so I'm sure it's true. To me though the Skinny Puppy sound doesn't come from a synth, but rather samples and clever processing.
1st April 2008
Old 1st April 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to alexp
I have a couple of Puppys old pieces including....

One of 4 Prophet 5's they owned. (was Dwaynes, talk about ghosts in that machine)
One of 4 Minimoogs they owned.
ESQ-1 (They had 2 afaik)
Mirage
Image Delay unit.
MidiverbII

Fantastic gear. I will try and get some pics up for you guys this afternoon.

alexP
1st April 2008
Old 1st April 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
I have a couple of Puppys old pieces including....

One of 4 Prophet 5's they owned. (was Dwaynes, talk about ghosts in that machine)
One of 4 Minimoogs they owned.
ESQ-1 (They had 2 afaik)
Mirage
Image Delay unit.
MidiverbII

Fantastic gear. I will try and get some pics up for you guys this afternoon.

alexP
Hey, AlexP did you get those pieces when they had that big gear sell off after Goettel died? I was drinking heavy at the time and had no extra cash.
They also used Emu products like the Emax. I saw one specifically at one of the Too Dark Park shows.It was always hard to case there gear at shows because of the elaborate stage production going on.They always had Cevin and Dwanne built up into something.
1st April 2008
Old 1st April 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rids View Post
I know an SY-35 was used on the album Last Rights, for song 11 called Download. Two favorite albums for me were polar opposites: Bites and Last Rights.

The V-synth is all over their newest album.

I thought I remember them havinga EML 101 in the past.
Bites is definetly my favorite, as well. One of the best synth albums of all time IMO. It helps that they had Bill Leeb (FLA) playing the synth bass stuff on alot of the tracks (I think he's credited as Wilhelm Schroeder.)

On their latest tour, the only synths that I saw were a V-synth and a Virus TI Fantastic show, though.
1st April 2008
Old 1st April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absent1 View Post
Hey, AlexP did you get those pieces when they had that big gear sell off after Goettel died? I was drinking heavy at the time and had no extra cash.
They also used Emu products like the Emax. I saw one specifically at one of the Too Dark Park shows.It was always hard to case there gear at shows because of the elaborate stage production going on.They always had Cevin and Dwanne built up into something.

Actually only 2 I got from there. The mini and the P5 together. The rest was purchased through Cevin over the past 10 years or so. That sucks you didnt get a chance to get in on that. Although Subcon always has their annual sale. I'm not exactly sure when it is this year. I remember buying the P5 and Mini and Cevin had mentioned that I had a deadly setup between the 2. What he used to do with them was cv and gate the 2 instruments together, then have the P5's output going into the mini's input. Those 2 machines together make some of the best sounds I have ever heard.

alexP
2nd April 2008
Old 2nd April 2008
Lives for gear

Could have sworn they used an EML 101. Hmmm, thought I read that somewhere. Maybe it was an Arp 2600 or Roland 100 that was making all those crazy analog metallic timbres on Back and Forth 2 and Bites. I'm guessing Remission utilized the same kit list...?

That's interesting about the CV and Gates. I know that can really get interesting when twisting instruments like that.
3rd April 2008
Old 3rd April 2008
Lives for gear

I know a lot of their earliest work was nothing but an 808/909 and Pro-One multi-tracked to death =o] And of course a delay unit for that metallic short delay reverbed sound. As mentioned, they LOVED their ESQ-1's. It's just amazing what Key/Goettel could do! They were a magic pair that will never be duplicated. Trent Reznor is STILL trying to catch up!

Drum Machines: TR-8 . Volca Beats . Octatrack . Vermona DRM1 mkII

New DJ Mix - AcidTed - Question Everything
4th April 2008
Old 4th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
I know a lot of their earliest work was nothing but an 808/909 and Pro-One multi-tracked to death =o] And of course a delay unit for that metallic short delay reverbed sound. As mentioned, they LOVED their ESQ-1's. It's just amazing what Key/Goettel could do! They were a magic pair that will never be duplicated. Trent Reznor is STILL trying to catch up!
Some of the stuff in back and forth 2 sounds too much like modular to me. I haven't seen mention of EML, but I know thay had an Arp 2600. I wonder when they got that and used it?
6th April 2008
Old 6th April 2008
Lives for gear

Sorry for the lateness....

Dwaynes old P5 signed by Cevin.....

6th April 2008
Old 6th April 2008
Lives for gear

If you look really closely, you can see the hash oil on the keys still......

Im not washing it any time soon!

alexP
6th April 2008
Old 6th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some of the stuff in back and forth 2 sounds too much like modular to me. I haven't seen mention of EML, but I know thay had an Arp 2600. I wonder when they got that and used it?
There's no modular in those recordings. I don't think they could afford one at that time.
7th April 2008
Old 7th April 2008
Lives for gear

If you listen to the first track of B & F 2, the sounds in there don't sound like anything but a modular, or I guess possibly taking the Minimoog and Prophet 5 and using the gate ins and cv ins to modify the signal. But especially the loud sound that comes in towards the middle to end, it just sounds so clinical, like a modular. There is no way that sound is straight up P5.
7th April 2008
Old 7th April 2008
Lives for gear

You're probably hearing the Pro-One. I'm sure it's processed to hell and back as well. Again, i don't think they had anything as expensive as a MiniMoog or a P5. Those recordings are their early beginnings. Before they had label backing and advances to spend on gear. Also, the P5 was Dwayne's. And those recordings were done before he came into the picture.
7th April 2008
Old 7th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're probably hearing the Pro-One. I'm sure it's processed to hell and back as well. Again, i don't think they had anything as expensive as a MiniMoog or a P5. Those recordings are their early beginnings. Before they had label backing and advances to spend on gear. Also, the P5 was Dwayne's. And those recordings were done before he came into the picture.

I believe that was the Pro one through the old PCM41 laid down on 4 track... Which was then put through the Pro ones filter, back onto another track. I know they did a lot of bizarre things like that. Using a 4 track for stuff, is something I want to get back into doing. I think you could build up some really wild textures like that.

alexP
7th April 2008
Old 7th April 2008
Lives for gear

Do you know what they did with Dwayne's Prophet-10? I wonder if they kept that due to it's rarity.
7th April 2008
Old 7th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you know what they did with Dwayne's Prophet-10? I wonder if they kept that due to it's rarity.

Thats still sitting in Cevins studio in Malibu.....

Theres no way in hell their getting rid of that!
7th April 2008
Old 7th April 2008
Lives for gear

Heh, i wouldn't think so.
13th April 2008
Old 13th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
I believe that was the Pro one through the old PCM41 laid down on 4 track... Which was then put through the Pro ones filter, back onto another track. I know they did a lot of bizarre things like that. Using a 4 track for stuff, is something I want to get back into doing. I think you could build up some really wild textures like that.

alexP
Interesting. No wonder it doesn't sound like Pro One.

For the record, I'm talking about B & F 2, Track 1 (I think I said track 2 earlier...wups) and the sound that comes in about 1:24, where 2 notes are played (then repeated). So all that grinding and stuff before this is a Pro One and this High Pitched modularesque sound is the Pro One also?

Did they use that on their Remission EP? What synths were used for Remission? I'm wondering if all they had (access to) were the Pro One, TR-909???, their lexicon pcm41. I think Not because Bites has a lot of synth pads in it and that had to be some sort of digital synth (at least a poly analog). I really dig all those sounds of of Remission. Good programming there.

I just realized the TR-909 wasn't released until 1984-85. So I doubt Remission was done with a 909, right? Is it pretty much certain that a 909 was used on Bites?
14th April 2008
Old 14th April 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I've been a very big Puppy fan since I was around 16 or so. The first album I heard was "Too Dark Park" I bought on a recommendation from a friend. The first time I heard it I was seriously unimpressed and filed it away in my collection and kind of forgot about it for six months or so.

Then one day I was trippin' REAL heavy and was quite bored listening to my CDs I'd heard 1,000 times already. I pulled out the obscure Skinny Puppy album to give it another listen and.....................FUUUUUUUUUUUCCKKK!!!!! The shit blew my mind!

There was like a zillion little things going on in the mix that I never noticed before on that first listen. A whole dark world of soundscapes and shredded textures were oozing from my speakers and melting my brain in a total mind****.

Then as broke as I was in my wayward youth, I managed to save my extra money to buy every one of their releases I could find. I even scored one of the original limited edition "Charlie's Family" pressings after I learned of "Download".

Anyways, back to the topic: I recently got an Eventide Eclipse and while initially running through the algorithms I was amazed at how often I heard familiar sounds used by Key and crew. They HAD to be using an Eventide pretty regularly in the first few Download and PlatEAU releases. This is what my ears are telling me anyhows. I'd be surprised to learn I am wrong here. Can anyone confirm?
14th April 2008
Old 14th April 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to The Architecture Send a message via Yahoo to The Architecture
My favorate SP album would of course have to be Bites, I haven't heard much of the other albums, except for what was on the Singles Collect CD. From what Ive heard, Im a big fan of their bites and remission era stuff, as well as mythmaker (ducks from people throwing knives).

The idea of IDM and Industrial together does intrigue me nontheless.
14th April 2008
Old 14th April 2008
Lives for gear

My fave hands down in VIVSectVI! But it's ALL good. However, The Process i didn't care for though. It just sounded too rushed to me. The last 2 i'm kind of on the fence about. I'm not a fan of IDM, so all this glitchy stuff that has worked it's way into them, more so on Myth Maker, doesn't really agree with me. But yet, at the same time, i find it strangely fitting.
14th April 2008
Old 14th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I just realized the TR-909 wasn't released until 1984-85. So I doubt Remission was done with a 909, right? Is it pretty much certain that a 909 was used on Bites?
Remission was done with a 909. Just listen to the hi-hats on Smothered Hope.

And the 707/727 was all over M:TPI.
14th April 2008
Old 14th April 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

i got hooked in high school. someone lent me cassettes of VIVIsect, Mind & Cleanse Fold. i was hooked. Rabies came out shortly after that. saw em live on the 'Too Dark Park' tour & again more recently. they've been thru several incarnations & the sound changes a bit due to lineup. if you arent familiar with their full catalog, be aware Dwayne Goettel was arguably the biggest influence on their sound so the records under his influence have a signature that you may find absent from the other albums.

Skinny Puppy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
14th April 2008
Old 14th April 2008
Gear maniac

Anyone know what was used for drum production on Worlock?

Obviously sounds like electronics layered on top of real drums, but I wonder what they used specifically. That song is deffinately one of my favorite industrial songs.

I couldn't pick a favorite album, in fact if I had to I would say their singles collect. Just too many great songs spread out through the years. Their newer stuff is kinda ehh though, I think perhaps there is too much influence from Mark Walk's part, not that I think that's all bad as I love the ohGr solo stuff, but it's just not Skinny Puppy. Mythmaker was decent, but I just can't listen to it on repeat like so many of their other albums.
14th April 2008
Old 14th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spsnoise View Post
Anyone know what was used for drum production on Worlock?

Obviously sounds like electronics layered on top of real drums, but I wonder what they used specifically. That song is deffinately one of my favorite industrial songs.

I couldn't pick a favorite album, in fact if I had to I would say their singles collect. Just too many great songs spread out through the years. Their newer stuff is kinda ehh though, I think perhaps there is too much influence from Mark Walk's part, not that I think that's all bad as I love the ohGr solo stuff, but it's just not Skinny Puppy. Mythmaker was decent, but I just can't listen to it on repeat like so many of their other albums.
That was real drums that were recorded at Mushroom Studios in Vancouver. That kit was also triggering all kinds of samples and stuff. Cevin had a name for it, but I forget what it was.......
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search