Should I sell/trade my Micromoog?
sgventil
18th January 2014
Old 18th January 2014
Gear addict

Should I sell/trade my Micromoog?

Hi friends!

So I am thinking of trading my micromoog. Most of the time I am rational about all the gear, If I don´t use it I sell/trade it, but my micromoog was my first synth.
Don´t take me wrong, I really love it´s sound, the problem is that I don´t find space for it in any project anymore, and I truly believe that a instrument of this quality should be used, or for me or for someone else, but it should be used!

If I end up selling it, I will probably look for a Korg ms20 (I don´t know about the mini because the keys are too small, but I certainly like the MS sound) or something polyphonic and digital like a blofeld or the nord modular. (I´ve been in eurorack for a while so I´ve a really cool mono instrument, but besides my rhodes I don´t have anything polyphonic) Also (and don´t kill me for saying this) I want something digital! something refreshing!

The problem I see in these instruments (blofeld and ms20mini) is that none of them will keep it´s value, either in money or love, to me!

So...What do you think I should do? Should I just get something that interestes me, and that I can benefit the most from, or just keep the micro even though I don´t use it?

Other options would be a Fizmo, if I could find one for a good price, or maybe wait for the roland aira stuff that is coming out.

I appreciate your suggestions!

Cheers
18th January 2014
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

I just restored a Micro and gave it to my bandmate for his birthday…I think its decent synth for what it is (not cool enough to keep for myself, though) but if you don't use it, trade it for something you will use. I don't think the Micro is going to be headed up in value any time soon, as most of the modern monos IMHO are overall better synths to own. It says Moog on it and if it works correctly it should be fairly easy to unload.
18th January 2014
Old 18th January 2014
Gear Head

I think I would sell it, but I think I would steer clear of the MS20. It's a Beast of a synth, but very limited. Save some money and get the Korg Legacy VST version....I've had a real MS20 and the difference isn't vast enough to warrant spending the money.

I think I would move away from monophonic if I were you. I find much more variation in poly, and monophonics tend to be geared towards bass sounds..which get boring to program all the time

I would definetly shop around for a poly analog synth that is versatile. Versatility is key in my eyes, especially when it has a hardware price point. Try to find a synth that seems to be the least limited. Good luck on your synth journey.

If you have time and like free stuff, I'm working on a sample pack and I have a couple rough drafts for free download. Full version is much more vast, and coming soon: Oculus Pack

Some feedback would be great too
18th January 2014
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

Sell it. I would look into the Nord Lead 4 or DSI PEKPE for something new and fresh.
sgventil
18th January 2014
Old 18th January 2014
Gear addict

Thanks for the replies! I am not sure about the the dsi poly and about the nord i think the only one I would consider is the nord modular. is the waldorf any good? I mean, I know it´s not a top of the line synth, but how does it stand for the price?
18th January 2014
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear
Micromoog is amazing... but I understand if you don't use is.

Hang onto it until NAMM. SUB 37 might be the perfect replacement... or wait and look around from some sort of "special" digital synth. (Synergy? etc)
sgventil
18th January 2014
Old 18th January 2014
Gear addict

I love the Micro, i surely do, but the sound is so "moog" if you understand what I mean. About the sub37...I don´t think I will go with a moog again, I would like to try some new flavour. The only thing stopping me from getting the Ms20mini is the keys, I don´t think I will be able to play them, otherwise I would not think twice.

I would also would like to get a polyphonic instrument, but if it´s not a fizmo that really has a special sound to it, I would prefer something without menu diving.
A nord modular would also be interesting.

Any suggestions?
18th January 2014
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

I sold my multimoog and got a pro one, fwiw. What else are you working with?
sgventil
18th January 2014
Old 18th January 2014
Gear addict

Just with eurorack and some fx units...
18th January 2014
Old 18th January 2014
Lives for gear

AFAIK The MS-20 mini keys are only slightly smaller than normal keys, they're not mini keys.

I have the full size MS-20 and don't find it limited at all. It can get pretty crazy if you start patching (you can also patch audio to/from your Eurorack).

BTW I once hooked up a Micromoog and an MS-20 into a big feedback loop to create a "Morg synthesiser". The bass was legendary!
sgventil
18th January 2014
Old 18th January 2014
Gear addict

Any good digital polyphonic that goes for the price of my micromoog? Unfortunately i have no money to invest...the ms20 is still a possibility...
sgventil
19th January 2014
Old 19th January 2014
Gear addict

What about the nord lead 2x? I do hate the colour of it though, but would it be a good trade?
19th January 2014
Old 19th January 2014
Lives for gear

Are you in the US? Major city with lively craigslist? Are you able to try out anything at a local shop?

If you are concerned about value retention you have to go to the top of whatever class you are thinking of or vintage. What can you get for a Micro? $600 cash?

For that you can probably get a Juno 106/HS60, a Juno 6 or one of the knobless Juno DCO polys. A matrix 6 is also a great sounding DCO.

Some might suggest some DIY thing like a Shruti. You could build your own Ambika for not much more. But no value retention security there IMO.

If you live in a good craigslist area, you can also just wait until any candidate appears at an under valued price and jump on it. That way you can flip it if you don't like it.

You may be able to get a Nord Modular G1. I have one and will never sell it. It is amazing. I think you'll have a hard time finding a Lead 2X for under $800 and I'm not sure it's worth it. The modular is way more flexible but if you don't like the general tone of nords, you might not like it either. Maybe an older Virus B or C desktop for a digital poly? You can always get an Alesis ION for under $600 too. They sound nice but will not hold value and may need to be fixed periodically. I'm not confident about almost any digital poly's retaining value. The Fizmo is out of your price range I think.

Come to think of it, the only digital poly I can think of in your price range that would retain value is an Ipad. They retain value pretty well and you keep your synths when you sell it, so if you get another one, they're right there. The synth apps sound great. Just get an iRig MIDI adapter and you're good to go.

That's about all I can come up with off the top of my head...
sgventil
19th January 2014
Old 19th January 2014
Gear addict

Thanks for the good suggestions! I will keep thinking on what to do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by was silents View Post
Are you in the US? Major city with lively craigslist? Are you able to try out anything at a local shop?

If you are concerned about value retention you have to go to the top of whatever class you are thinking of or vintage. What can you get for a Micro? $600 cash?

For that you can probably get a Juno 106/HS60, a Juno 6 or one of the knobless Juno DCO polys. A matrix 6 is also a great sounding DCO.

Some might suggest some DIY thing like a Shruti. You could build your own Ambika for not much more. But no value retention security there IMO.

If you live in a good craigslist area, you can also just wait until any candidate appears at an under valued price and jump on it. That way you can flip it if you don't like it.

You may be able to get a Nord Modular G1. I have one and will never sell it. It is amazing. I think you'll have a hard time finding a Lead 2X for under $800 and I'm not sure it's worth it. The modular is way more flexible but if you don't like the general tone of nords, you might not like it either. Maybe an older Virus B or C desktop for a digital poly? You can always get an Alesis ION for under $600 too. They sound nice but will not hold value and may need to be fixed periodically. I'm not confident about almost any digital poly's retaining value. The Fizmo is out of your price range I think.

Come to think of it, the only digital poly I can think of in your price range that would retain value is an Ipad. They retain value pretty well and you keep your synths when you sell it, so if you get another one, they're right there. The synth apps sound great. Just get an iRig MIDI adapter and you're good to go.

That's about all I can come up with off the top of my head...
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search