Broken Emulator 3??? Advice please...
KOTARE
15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
Gear addict

Broken Emulator 3??? Advice please...

So I bought an E3 from Techno Empire on ebay last week. I've been wanting one for awhile and the stars aligned.

Anyhow it was sold as is from a collection of a well known synth player. As is, but their expectation was that it worked but they couldn't check it as it was missing an OS.

I enquired about the floppy listed on the auction and the good agent unpacked it and checked for me.

Turns out the e3 powers on but gets stuck at boot up, cycling through the searching for SCSI decide stage.

Any e3 owners have any ideas? The agent has located a floppy OS and has kindly agreed to send it to be serviced so that I have a fully working e3, paying from their end, which is actually really commendable. Good karma returning I guess.

But I'd like to help him lower his repair costs by doing some research for him.

I appreciate the advice. Also a good e3 tech near Burbank would be helpful too.
15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
KOTARE
15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
Gear addict

15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

When it cycles endlessly between all the SCSI ports and never starts, it is because - or at least was in my case - it doesn't find the OS to boot, which it normally does from the internal floppy drive. At first I thought the floppy drive had failed, as I could hear the drive noise being the wrong noise- when the drive actually reads a diskette it does that typical noise of "swallowing" (for the lack of a better word) the diskette. In my case simply the floppy disk with the OS had become corrupted or had demagnetized for some reason, and the drive worked ok. Putting in another working diskette solved the problem.

best regards
Massimo
KOTARE
15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
Gear addict

That's really helpful.

Isn't there am internal HD? Why isn't the OS loaded into the internal HD?
15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTARE View Post
That's really helpful.

Isn't there am internal HD? Why isn't the OS loaded into the internal HD?
Not sure about the E3 but I think some old samplers had to boot from the floppy...
KOTARE
15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer View Post
Not sure about the E3 but I think some old samplers had to boot from the floppy...
Hmm I don't know much about the e3 - i bought it on its rep and specs - so I don't know if there's an internal HD or not.

Most older samplers load from floppy yes - I've owned a fair few.
15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
Lives for gear

My used E3 (rack) came with a floppy drive mounted internally and a Syquest drive where I save and recall my sound banks. Works great, also due to the fact that individual banks cannot be bigger than 8Mb anyway. I would very much prefer if it loaded the OS (every time you turn it on) from the Syquest cartridge, but it does not. It wants to load from the floppy for some reason. Being internal, the OS diskette lives inside the machine all the time, in the floppy drive.

Hope this helps
best
Massimo
15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
Gear maniac

E3 can boot from HD, at least from the internal harddrive.
Never tried it from an external drive.
Is the boot software also on the harddrive? See 13-26 in the manual.
It should be able to boot from a floppy, even with a dead harddrive.
KOTARE
15th January 2014
Old 15th January 2014
Gear addict

Cool. He's got an OS now and will try later.

While he has the box open, is there an internal diagnostic cycle I can activate inside it (if it boots) so he can check if everything is working?
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Gear interested

You'll need to make sure that the OS disk matches the version of the ROM in your EIII so if you have a version 1 ROM you need a version 1.x OS disk or if you have a v2 ROM you can use v2.x OS. Also note that calibration settings are stored on the OS disk so you will also need to calibrate the EIII for optimum performance if you are using a disk that didn't come with your EIII.

EIII is bootable from the internal hard disk. You can copy the OS over to the hard disk once you get it working. It's been a while but I seem to remember being able to boot from an external disk as well. The fact that yours is cycling from scsi disk to disk could indicate that your hard disk bit the dust. Old apple scsi disks will work in there as a replacement or you can go to the EIII forum for information on replacing the internal drive with a compact flash drive. Maximum disk size is 1GB.

If you need a calibration/diagnostics disk you can join the yahoo group EmuEmulator3 and download the disks as well as the service and user manuals.

EIII is a great instrument, good luck!
KOTARE
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Gear addict

Hi there. I got this email from the seller.

"I went over to ******'s place today and talked with his assistant. We pulled out one of his other EIII samplers that are know to be working and when powering it on without the OS disc, it did the same thing, just cycling through the SCSI chain. *He found a disc that he "thought" has the OS on it, we put it in and it said "booting from disc" , but it never actually booted, after 5 minutes it never turned over. *He didn't have any other discs to try.*

Based on that, I think it just needs the correct OS disc and she will run fine."

Hmm I've paid for it now - hopefully good karma is mine???
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Gear interested

you can pm me if you are unable to find an OS disk that works.
KOTARE
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Gear addict

Do you think it was looking for the right os for the rom or do you think the HD might be broken?

Thanks for the OS offer.

On the eiii forum someone said that there is no external cc control via MIDI is that right? Only two mod levers with assignable parameters.

I REALLY want to control parameters via MIDI. Is there any way to do this via sysex at all??? I have an Octatrack and want to control and automate the edit parameter via MIDI...
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Gear interested

If it still has the original 40GB drive you'll hear the HD spinning, it's pretty loud. One thing you may want to do is pop the lid off the EIII and re-seat the hard drive scsi and power cables. I can't imagine that the internal drive would not have the OS installed on it. If you can get it to recognize the internal drive you can probably get it to boot.

EIII responds to pitch, mod wheel, aftertouch, program changes, and sustain pedal. You need to set it up and there is a section in the user manual that tells you how to do that. If you don't configure it it won't work. It's not something that I generally mess with. I believe it does support sysex as there was an EIII remote software program that allowed you to control it from a Mac but there is no doc on the sysex that I'm aware of. EIII does support smdi and you can use software to send and retrieve samples over scsi. I have used Alchemy for that in the past.
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Gear interested

From the manual:

MIDI Continuous Controller
Allows continuously changing information such as pitch wheel or
breath controller information to be passed over the MIDI line.
Continuous controllers use large amounts of memory when recorded
into a MIDI sequencer. Some standard MIDI Continuous
Controller numbers are listed below although the EIII allows you to
assign controllers and destinations to any Continuous Controller
channel.
PWH = Pitch Wheel
CHP = Pressure
1 = Modulation Wheel
2 = Breath Controller
3 = (Pressure on Rev. 1 DX7)
4 = Foot Pedal
5 = Portamento Time
6 = Data Entry
7 = Volume
8 = Balance
10 = Pan
11 = Expression Controller
16-19 = General purpose controllers 1-4 (High Res.)
64 = Sustain Switch (on/off)
65 = Portamento Switch (on/off)
66 = Sustenuto (chord hold)
67 = Soft Pedal (on/off)
69 = Hold Pedal 2 (on/off)
80-83 = General purpose controllers 5-8 (Low Res.)
91 = External Effects Depth
92 = Tremolo Depth
93 = Chorus Depth
94 = Detune
95 = Phaser Depth
96 = Data Increment
97 = Data Decrement
KOTARE
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitpoint View Post
From the manual:

MIDI Continuous Controller
Allows continuously changing information such as pitch wheel or
breath controller information to be passed over the MIDI line.
Continuous controllers use large amounts of memory when recorded
into a MIDI sequencer. Some standard MIDI Continuous
channel.
PWH = Pitch Wheel
CHP = Pressure
1 = Modulation Wheel
2 = Breath Controller
3 = (Pressure on Rev. 1 DX7)
4 = Foot Pedal
5 = Portamento Time
6 = Data Entry
7 = Volume
8 = Balance
10 = Pan
11 = Expression Controller
16-19 = General purpose controllers 1-4 (High Res.)
64 = Sustain Switch (on/off)
65 = Portamento Switch (on/off)
66 = Sustenuto (chord hold)
67 = Soft Pedal (on/off)
69 = Hold Pedal 2 (on/off)
80-83 = General purpose controllers 5-8 (Low Res.)
91 = External Effects Depth
92 = Tremolo Depth
93 = Chorus Depth
94 = Detune
95 = Phaser Depth
96 = Data Increment
97 = Data Decrement
^^ brilliant! And a little hope there...

Thank you regarding the HD info. I'll reseat everything once it gets here and fingers crossed it makes the trans-Atlantic voyage OK?

I'm curious - 16-19 "General purpose controlles 1-4" and 80-83 also... Could I possible route these "controllers" to ADSR settings or VCF cutoff and rez?

All I really need is ADSR settings and VCF control. I'd love to have sample start points as well.

How do you find the FX in the e3?

Quote:
Some standard MIDI Continuous
channel.
What's this about? ^
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Gear interested

KOTARE
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitpoint View Post
What's in the list are the controllers recognized by the EIII. You can assign to various destinations. It's all outlined in section 7 of the manual which you can download here: Welcome to theEMUs.com. The place for E-mu fans.
Yeah I'm just wondering if I can use the controller CC and map my Octatrack to it. Then route the controller to an internal parameter... Hmm
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Gear interested

You should be able to route to: pitch, vcf cutoff, vca level, lfo levels for pitch cutoff and vca, pan, attack and crossfade.
KOTARE
16th January 2014
Old 16th January 2014
Gear addict

Hmm I'm going to do some research into the software that came with it and see if offers real time ASR and rez support via sysex....
KOTARE
30th January 2014
Old 30th January 2014
Gear addict

Ah she's here.

So first I need to open her up to reseat the connections to the internal SCSI HD.

I'm not technologically illiterate but near enough to it. Which of these screws to undo? I always undo the wrong ones...
KOTARE
30th January 2014
Old 30th January 2014
Gear addict

So I've got the lid off.

I've found the HD and yes its the original 40MB.

Which end of the SCSI cable should I disconnect? The one that clips into the HD or the other end?

Both seem a bit tricky to get to... it might be best to call a friend as I'm not in the right head space to get into it.
KOTARE
31st January 2014
Old 31st January 2014
Gear addict

Formatted an OS with Omniflop. I used an HD disc with tape over the hole and it's working fine.

I'm doing a calibration and disc check now.

Sounds pretty interesting so far! The HD may or may not be poked but the disk check is bringing up many bad blocks, all except the first one.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search